Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #37
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Had a couple Fiat and wouldn't rate their reliability worse than any US car...and I've been driving since '64.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #38
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Had a couple Fiat and wouldn't rate their reliability worse than any US car...and I've been driving since '64.
Then how come they left the US market? How come they NEVER made a profit here in the US? How come the Japanese succeeded here? How come while they were in the US market, ConsumerReports and many other car magazines found them to be shit? Oh wait! Maybe it was a conspiracy!

Hello?!?
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:00 PM   #39
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
could just be a compbination of bad knowledge of the US market, bad image, bad reputation... I mean look at our Yarii, not exactly a lot of shining reviews in the US press, is there?
And we're talking baout 20+ years ago indeed... people's expectations of cars were quite different, weren't they?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:12 AM   #40
churp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
Then how come they left the US market? How come they NEVER made a profit here in the US? How come the Japanese succeeded here? How come while they were in the US market, ConsumerReports and many other car magazines found them to be shit? Oh wait! Maybe it was a conspiracy!

Hello?!?
Personally I would say the roadsters, 124 sport coupe, and X19 of the 60's thru early 80's were the best of their class for the times. The US had nothing to compete with them and the Triumphs and MG's were dying antiques. The US government was starting to dictate emission and safety standards which the 'world' car companies, which had a very small percentage of their market with the US, felt weren't worth their trouble to change for such a small market. Fiat was one of the worlds leaders for cars and trucks at that time. Look back at the US autos at that time and you will see a very dark period for them also....terrible gas milage, 85 mph top mandated speedometers, and I almost wouldn't consider the Vette a performance car during that period.....all because of government mandates. The Japanese started taking over at that time and there probably wouldn't be a US manufacturer left if Japan would have opened factories here in the 70's.

Way to much history to look at for that time to say Fiat pulled out due to lack of sales because of reliability. The government with the aid of our US carmakers did it....the then big 3 publicly whined, but they we niaeve enough to think they would get rid of their competition, but Japan proved them wrong.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:45 PM   #41
Vervepipes
CowCountry Hornet Handler

Drives: '08 Sedan
Well said
Vervepipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:22 AM   #42
JosephDoc

Drives: 07 Yaris 3D
I love it very much. But on the 2nd, I bet it will be pricy also.
JosephDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:34 AM   #43
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i bet the 500 would look really nice to see it in person, very simple lines so it doesn't look too flashy in pictures.

i really like the idea of that hard-top micra, now that's ingenious.
nissan just sells boats over here in n.america, had the opportunity to drive a versa and have to say that it is probably the most boring car i've ever driven, not to mention huge for a sub-compact.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:59 AM   #44
gaffo

Drives: integra
Fiat - bad history, I'll let somebody else buy one first.

59-horses = "eaten alive" is utter bullshit. ford Festivas have managed with 59 horses and old beetles with similar for decades. sure you gotta floor it to get on the interstate, but big deal.

I've driven a Festiva 85 mph before - across the country in fact on I-40.

no big deal.

100 horses for such a small car is just palin silly and defeats any notion of high gas milage.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 11:19 AM   #45
gaffo

the fiat of today might not be the one of old - but you guys defending the reliablility of the Fiat of old is hillarious!

I had a friend with an 85 Spider (you know the convertable) - he bought it in 87 with 35,000 miles. He had it for one yr (or less).

1. within the first month - he drove into my driveway (a commercial space with a curb) and since the oil pan was located IN FRONT OF THE FRONT WHEELS his pan hit the curb BEFORE his FRONT WHEELS! - sliced the pan clean open.
He had to tow it out of my driveway. Oil all over my yard-driveway to boot.

2. this car had THREE keys, one for the doors - one for the glovebox and another for the trunk - why three key? so if you loose one you cannot open one of the above?

3. The carb one day just decided to catch on fire, the whole car burned up in the guys driveway one afternoon.

Friend of my mom's - had one of those fiat boxy sedans they sold in the late-70's. It too one day just caught fire and burned up in her driveway.

Friend in collage had an x-19. He told me that the tranny was constantly falling apart and he was mechanically inclined and was able to fix - but he bitched about it all the time nontheless.

Me - had a Triumph Tr7 (oneof the last one built-rare fuel injected version with more power). Had 38,000 when I bought it. By 45,000 the thing started to fall apart, starters, alternators, vacuum-leaks. FUN to drive - but minor electrical problems that never were tracked down. Car had a habit of just "shutting of" - would be in the interstate going 85 mph - then the engine would just "turn of" (on - then off - fast). Before I knew it I was litterally coasting at 85!!............so I just re-twisted the key while in neutral, and the car would start up again!! Little things like that add up and by the end of the day'years you have it..................eventually you just want to get rid of the damn thing and get something that WORKS!.

Why the japs cannot make an Austin-Healey type stylish looking cars (using their reliable parts) has been a mystery to me for at least the last 30 yrs.

but they can't. nor can Americans.

I like the R1 myself:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/news/subaru...pan-120025.php
Old 05-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #46
churp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
the fiat of today might not be the one of old - but you guys defending the reliablility of the Fiat of old is hillarious!

................eventually you just want to get rid of the damn thing and get something that WORKS!.

Why the japs cannot make an Austin-Healey type stylish looking cars (using their reliable parts) has been a mystery to me for at least the last 30 yrs.

but they can't. nor can Americans.

I like the R1 myself:

http://jalopnik.com/cars/news/subaru...pan-120025.php
Can't really defend the old Fiat with present day cars...just IMO they weren't bad for the day (better than most). Didn't think driving over objects and ripping the oil pan open was a reliability issue--more of a driver training issue?? Triumph TR7's were well known when new about their reliability...couldn't have paid me to drive one, then or now.

Jag's (XKE) and Healeys are beautiful cars, with excellent engineering accomplishments of their own....why not get one and replace electricals and carb's, nothing much wrong with the rest. Japan has made beauties also....240Z, NSX, RX7, and several that didn't get imported.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:24 PM   #47
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaffo View Post
The old Honda S600 is a pretty handsome thing along those lines...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #48
gaffo

yes - I forgot about that one.

and the old Datsun convertable of the same era.

for some reason they stopped making the curvy cars by the 70's though ;-/.

I personally think cars have been fugly and/or boring since the early 70's through the late-90's.

the re-issue of the Beattle in 99 then the Cooper and later the Thunderbird and so on broke the "bubble-car everything must look like a Ford Taurus" 20yr draught).

Retro look I like. The one thing Chrystler is good at. GM could learn style from them IMO.

Yaris is nice because it looks like the stereotypical "Concept car" (not the kookier looking ones but the more pragamatic ones I remember seeing models of in the late 80's early 90's. Yaris is not gaudy or cheap looking (refering to the Hatch - I think the Sadan looks "Stodgy" - no offense ;-).......).