Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2008, 03:14 PM   #55
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
If you want to drive to Olympia, WA, sure. Your Yaris might fit in overhead storage, but unless you drain the gas and oil out of it, it won't make it past the x-ray machine and security detail. I have the issue of Siphon where it walks you through how to replace the springs. Want me to take some pics of the pages and send them to you via PM? Let me know.
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 03:18 PM   #56
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I have the DF210 springs and I am very happy with them. It's definitely a stiff ride (but still completely tolerable for a daily driver). Very sporty feeling and you can actually control the car.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:12 PM   #57
Chupacabra
Banned

Drives: 2009 Yaris liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric81 View Post
If you want to drive to Olympia, WA, sure. Your Yaris might fit in overhead storage, but unless you drain the gas and oil out of it, it won't make it past the x-ray machine and security detail. I have the issue of Siphon where it walks you through how to replace the springs. Want me to take some pics of the pages and send them to you via PM? Let me know.

PM sent
Chupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #58
Chupacabra
Banned

I wanted to upload one more picture before I drop the car.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 PM   #59
Chupacabra
Banned

cool. I was a little bit surprised at how weak the lights were but it sounds like the silverstars will be a nice improvement. I am just about ready to hit 300 miles....still on my first tank of gas.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:02 PM   #60
Chupacabra
Banned

Just threw in the NST short shift (external). Took about 45 seconds to install....awesome difference in shifting. I'd say it reduced the throw ATLEAST 60%

Also worth noting for those who might not have done the install...you won't be able to re-install the original retention pin....but the pin that comes with the unit is more than enough to keep the assy together. I definitely think that the car is much easier to drive now and rev-match.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:03 AM   #61
eric81

Drives: Toyota Salesman
Next, do the metal bushings in the cables ($20 or so at NST) and see how you like that. I am waiting now to have a litlte bit more cash to buy the bushings for the cage because I liked the ones for the cables so much. It shortens it even more by making the shifter more solid. I wouldn't say 60% shorter, but it's like a whole new transmission, right? Now, I just have to find some little old lady to rob so I can afford those cage bushings.......
eric81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:19 PM   #62
Chupacabra
Banned

So I did the DF210 installation today and it couldn't have been easier. It took me about 4 hours taking my time. I also removed the entire cowl w/wiper motor etc for ultimate access. These pictures were taken before the car was driven and I am convinced that just driving the car yielded another 1/4" drop. The ride is unbelievable!!! I was worried that it was going to be harsh but is soft....maybe softer than stock!!!!! a GREAT mod....I am so happy that I did this. So....I did the NST short shifter and the DF210's and those are 2 awesome mods. My next mod is going to be the OSRAM night vision headlights which arrived today and the hatch spoiler which comes tomorrow. The car only has 394 miles on it. Here are pics, as mentioned, before driven.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #63
CCILovePinkCC
JuicyCoutureGirl

Drives: 2009 Blazing Blue LB
Nice!
CCILovePinkCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:47 PM   #64
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Nice drop. Just not pratical up here in VT due to snow........

Headlights to dim? Before you invest in new bulbs..... try to adjust them up just a bit.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #65
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
So I did the DF210 installation today and it couldn't have been easier. It took me about 4 hours taking my time. I also removed the entire cowl w/wiper motor etc for ultimate access. These pictures were taken before the car was driven and I am convinced that just driving the car yielded another 1/4" drop. The ride is unbelievable!!! I was worried that it was going to be harsh but is soft....maybe softer than stock!!!!! a GREAT mod....I am so happy that I did this. So....I did the NST short shifter and the DF210's and those are 2 awesome mods. My next mod is going to be the OSRAM night vision headlights which arrived today and the hatch spoiler which comes tomorrow. The car only has 394 miles on it. Here are pics, as mentioned, before driven.
Looks great!
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #66
Chupacabra
Banned

Thanks guys...the car was dirty so I washed it today. The spoiler came but I just didn't have enought time to get it installed....looks great though (factory paint). So...for you guys with a 2009, not sure if the 2008 configuration-wise around the rear of the headlights but holy shit is a ROYAL MFPITA to change the headlight bulbs. I am no stranger to the process of installing H4 style bulbs but they give you ZERO room to work with especially on the driver's side unit. Needles to say, about 1 hour and 25 minute later I was done with the pair. I hope the light output is THAT much better. Anywho...here are a few clean shots....2 with steelies and 1 with the caps back on.

Old 11-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #67
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks guys...the car was dirty so I washed it today. The spoiler came but I just didn't have enought time to get it installed....looks great though (factory paint). So...for you guys with a 2009, not sure if the 2008 configuration-wise around the rear of the headlights but holy shit is a ROYAL MFPITA to change the headlight bulbs. I am no stranger to the process of installing H4 style bulbs but they give you ZERO room to work with especially on the driver's side unit. Needles to say, about 1 hour and 25 minute later I was done with the pair. I hope the light output is THAT much better. Anywho...here are a few clean shots....2 with steelies and 1 with the caps back on.

With the bulbs, the service manual shows to remove the entire headlight assembly (4 screws to do so). From your post, it sounds like you "managed" to change them without removing them?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:16 PM   #68
Chupacabra
Banned

Scott,
Yes....I did them without removing anything. My manual doesn't mention anything about removing the bumper (strange).
Old 11-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #69
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Scott,
Yes....I did them without removing anything. My manual doesn't mention anything about removing the bumper (strange).
Not the bumper, just the headlight assembly (and I just looked at the manual and it is three screws and three connectors to remove them). I still haven't received my Amazon.com bulbs yet...

By the way, It looks like you did the springs in your driveway. Now that it's starting to get cold here, if you want to work on the car in a heated garage, let me know. I'm only about 25 minutes from you.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #70
Chupacabra
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Not the bumper, just the headlight assembly (and I just looked at the manual and it is three screws and three connectors to remove them). I still haven't received my Amazon.com bulbs yet...

By the way, It looks like you did the springs in your driveway. Now that it's starting to get cold here, if you want to work on the car in a heated garage, let me know. I'm only about 25 minutes from you.
Scott,
Thank you very much for extending that offer. I think that I am pretty much done for now with the car as it is a commuter. I do have a garage but no heat...I wish that it were heated! What page is that in the manual if you don't mind me asking. I put the manual back in the glove box so it's not in front of me but when I looked up "Headlights" it mentioned pg 286 I think? I don't remember seeing anything about removing anything.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:50 PM   #71
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Scott,
Thank you very much for extending that offer. I think that I am pretty much done for now with the car as it is a commuter. I do have a garage but no heat...I wish that it were heated! What page is that in the manual if you don't mind me asking. I put the manual back in the glove box so it's not in front of me but when I looked up "Headlights" it mentioned pg 286 I think? I don't remember seeing anything about removing anything.
I was looking at the 09 service manual, not the owners manual.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #72
Chupacabra
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I was looking at the 09 service manual, not the owners manual.
Ahhh...gotcha! I was looking at the owner's manual!