Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-23-2007, 11:00 PM   #55
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrbill View Post
WTF!!! What kind of cars have you owned that make you think the Yaris handles well? It is the worst handling car I have ever owned. It feels like I am going to scrape the door handles on the ground when I take a corner at speed.

I feel the little car is fairly nimble around the twisties, certainly better then you make it out to be.. but then, I've been driving a loooong time and rely less on the car and more on my own skills.. anyone can make a race car go, talent is in making a car do more than expected.

The Yaris is no sports car, but neither is it worthy of such disdain. If you wanted a rally car you should have bought one.

-Peter
Old 03-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #56
flkrabbits

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I love my Yaris! The only negative in my opinion is the "very good handeling"... uhm. its not that great... i feel like im going to roll over. but i think thats because i like taking corners and im just used to driving my corolla... ;] hopefully with some added mods it will handle a little better. lucky for me i got 2 super awesome mechanics!

flkrabbits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:42 PM   #57
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
I don't think he's referring to the same car we drive - e both think out stick-shift LB is a phenominal little car, and we are used to sporty little cars.

Here are the other sporty cars we have owned over the last 32 yrs.

1) 1966 VW - 40HP (Yup, that's a ports crib on the roof rack!)
2) 1971 ALFA Romeo Berlina - 1.75L
3) 1974 ALFA Romeo Spider - 2.0L (still own this one)
4) 1976 ALFA Romeo Alfetta Sedan
5) 1979 Ford Fiesta

While the Yaris is no match for the ALFA's, especially the Spider, it is a fun car to drive.

(FYI: Consumer Reports latest auto buyer's guide rates the Fit as one of the 5 slowest cars from 0 to 60MPH!!!)
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #58
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
great cars 60 something, do you still have any of them?
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:12 AM   #59
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
Stuffy,

We still have the '74 Spider - bought it new in 1975.

May finally part with it this summer. It's not a PNW car - in otherwords, it's not good in the rain. Also makes it rust. We originally lived in So. CA, and it has always been garaged. It was been repainted in 1985, but the engine is original with 139,000 miles!

The Yaris LB is a more practical modern, everyday car. You can't push the ALFA on city streets or freeways without getting into trouble (tickets). It's a great car at 80+ MPH, and........ oh the sound!!!!!

Our daughter, who can be seen inside the VW circa 1969, was definitely influenced and had an ALFA of her own in the mid-90's, befiore she and her husband had a kid. It was the red 1974 GTV, shown below with my Spider. As she says, she's already had her dream car.
Attached Images

Last edited by 60 Somethings; 03-25-2007 at 03:06 PM.
60 Somethings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:45 AM   #60
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Somethings View Post
Stuffy,

We still have the '74 Spider - bought it new in 1975.

May finally part with it this summer. It's not a PNW car - in otherwords, it's not good in the rain. Also makes it rust. We originally lived in So. CA, and it has always been garaged. It was been repainted in 1985, but the engine is original with 139,000 miles!

The Yaris LB is a more practical modern, everyday car. You can't push the ALFA on city streets or freeways without getting into trouble (tickets). It's a great car at 80+ MPH, and........ oh the sound!!!!!

Our daughter, who can be seen inside the VW circa 1969, was definitely influenced and had an ALFA of her own in the mid-90's, befiore she and her husband had a kid. It was the red 1974 GTV below. As she says, she's already had her dream car.

Your picture of the Ford Fiesta brought back very nice memories for me....mine was freaking fast and very manuverable...it was hell on wheels...great fun!
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #61
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
wow, that gtv is beautifual (so is the spyder)
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #62
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I haven't read this thread, and haven't even finished the article, but I just had to guffaw at this:

"The Yaris came to our shores last year as a replacement for the Echo, which itself didn't inspire much Klingon love poetry."

Frikkin' hilarious!

~YR
Old 03-26-2007, 11:10 AM   #63
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Somethings View Post
I don't think he's referring to the same car we drive - e both think out stick-shift LB is a phenominal little car, and we are used to sporty little cars.

Here are the other sporty cars we have owned over the last 32 yrs.

1) 1966 VW - 40HP (Yup, that's a ports crib on the roof rack!)
2) 1971 ALFA Romeo Berlina - 1.75L
3) 1974 ALFA Romeo Spider - 2.0L (still own this one)
4) 1976 ALFA Romeo Alfetta Sedan
5) 1979 Ford Fiesta

While the Yaris is no match for the ALFA's, especially the Spider, it is a fun car to drive.

(FYI: Consumer Reports latest auto buyer's guide rates the Fit as one of the 5 slowest cars from 0 to 60MPH!!!)
My father owns that same year Alfa Spider.. It's one of the cars I learned to drive on.. Great car.

-Peter
Old 03-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #64
Nautical Yaris S
1.5L of FURY!

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan, 5 speed
that article is BS.
consider the source, too.
in a recent Road & Track test, the Yaris 5 speed whooped both the Fit and Versa in flat out acceleration.
Nautical Yaris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:44 PM   #65
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
I think I'll float with the Yaris bandwagon on this one.

I despise the lack of power in this vehicle...saying that, I didn't buy it for power! I bought this car for fuel efficiency and low price tag while still being a Toyota and having Toyota's reliability.

The suspension is indeed cushie but really! What do you want for the price? If I want more power and better handling from a FWD platform, I'll go back to the SRT-4.

I bought the Yaris for a reason, and the Yaris is doing VERY well for those reasons! Go Yaris!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #66
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautical Yaris S View Post
that article is BS.
consider the source, too.
in a recent Road & Track test, the Yaris 5 speed whooped both the Fit and Versa in flat out acceleration.
The Yaris had a better 0-60 time (by 1/2 second) because both Fit and Versa require a 2-3 shift to achieve the 60 mph test point.

Look at the quarter mile times, all three cars have similar times.

Acceleration in eco-cars is besides the point. All B segments cars are slow, bottom line.
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 04:31 PM   #67
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstb88 View Post
He failed to mention that the Yaris saled as the number 1 car of it segment for four years in Europe. Can Europe be wrong in good cars. Did the Chevy Vega or Ford Pinto come from Europe. No. This guy is expecting luxurious options for under 11grand. He should be clinically insane, mpg is great in this car and the Hondas engine is too big, and tha company has went a little to ricey mainstream for me anyways. I have also heard thae Nissans quality has gone down aswells as the driveability of its cars.
The Honda Fit engine is the same displacement. 1.5L. What are you talking about. And the European market definitely has it fair share of poorly made cars.
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:03 AM   #68
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
Dan Neil has, time and time again, proven himself to be as anti-car as one can be. Never mind he is a frackin psychopath.

:/

I have no imagination.
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #69
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
I think I'll float with the Yaris bandwagon on this one.

I despise the lack of power in this vehicle...saying that, I didn't buy it for power! I bought this car for fuel efficiency and low price tag while still being a Toyota and having Toyota's reliability.

The suspension is indeed cushie but really! What do you want for the price? If I want more power and better handling from a FWD platform, I'll go back to the SRT-4.

I bought the Yaris for a reason, and the Yaris is doing VERY well for those reasons! Go Yaris!
Agreed! I got mine for MPG, dependability, and low cost. As for power, I'm actually okay with the power it provides...it has never left me vulnerable to getting out of the way of other cars in traffic, getting on the freeway, and such.

Big power costs too much when one factors in gas, insurance....not to mention more damage to our environment, etc....
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 07:21 PM   #70
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Comparing the Yaris to the AW11 (85-89) MR2's for power and weight is almost identical....112hp/2200 lbs......sure they feel totaly different because of gearing/how you sit/weight distribution but these things ran away from Fieros all day long.....with a little lower gearing, stiffer suspension, and sitting like in a gokart it would damn near be the same car.....the Yaris is just an 'improvement' for everyday driving!!!! I currently own an 85, an 86, an 87, and 2 parts cars.... I bought my Yaris for the advantages it has.
churp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:14 AM   #71
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
Comparing the Yaris to the AW11 (85-89) MR2's for power and weight is almost identical....112hp/2200 lbs......sure they feel totaly different because of gearing/how you sit/weight distribution but these things ran away from Fieros all day long.....with a little lower gearing, stiffer suspension, and sitting like in a gokart it would damn near be the same car.....the Yaris is just an 'improvement' for everyday driving!!!! I currently own an 85, an 86, an 87, and 2 parts cars.... I bought my Yaris for the advantages it has.
The first generation MR2 was an amazing car, by friend bought one new when if first came out and It was the kind of car that wouldn't hold back a talented driver. The supercharged version is a lot faster the non. Back then, I was driving a 3.1L Corsica and going full throttle at 180km/hr, the MR2-S went around me like I was standing still.

From experience, I know the Yaris Hatch (in my case, 5dr model) is a surprisingly good handling car, but if it can be made to dance like the old mid-engine MR2, that would be impressive.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:45 PM   #72
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
i see more yaris owners on the road than with the fit and the versa..... ftw!!!!

and to add that.... i have not yet seen any hot girls in the fit and versa..... bwaahaaaaaa ftw again!!!!