Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #55
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Believe it or not, I used to like classical music more than now. I just don't seem to have the patience for it. I have always loved strings, and when Electric Light Orchestra came out (pre-ELO bubble gum sell out days), I loved that. One reason I liked the Beatles from 1967-1970 only was the use of strings in the tunes. Matter of fact, I have a violin and cello of my own (can't play either very well). I do love a good sax though. I listened to your selections from above, tomato. I play sax some (started on clarinet in 6th grade...moved to drums in high school), and I love a sax section, especially bari sax.

I was in my stepdaughter's car the other day (she lives in the big city of Lexington), and she has the radio set on NPR constantly. I just kinda looked at her and went, "You're kidding me with this, right?" LOL!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #56
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
My little cousin ended up getting me the album for Christmas (actually my aunt, of course), and it was the best gift I got that year, for sure. I still have the original, although it's so scratchy it's unplayable. Doesn't matter though.
Love it - I still have a copy of Dylan's first album - Copyright says 1962 - mono - that my Dad gave me coz I "needed to have some real music in the house" (I was 8) that I cherish. I have a CD to actually LISTEN to, but that old LP gets put on occasionally, scratches and all.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:54 PM   #57
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
^ scratches on old LP's just add character to the music
Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #58
chrisj

Yeah, that album of mine would probably be on the Grab List in case of fire...
Old 10-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #59
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Believe it or not, I used to like classical music more than now...
Same here. It's not that I don't like it, it's that there is so much more to enjoy these days.

IMO you can't just say "classical" or [pick a genre] "is the only music" . Its like any art form, some is better than other but ultimately, it's all a matter of personal taste.

Being "classically trained" probably made me like some bands far more than others, however (for example, I could listen to the Beatles for hours when I was growing up but never really liked the Rolling Stones as much.)

I didn't much like hip-hop or rap in the beginning but then I discovered that it's like every genre, there is the good stuff and the not-so-good stuff...
Old 10-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #60
tomato
Super Moderator

I was looking for a link for TLyttle , I think he might like.

It's the Supertramp's Fool's overture, intro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbYL10c1zo

(right now, Last FM is playing a piece from John Mayall from his "70'th b'day concert" it's a live piece and I hear quite a lot of "appreciation" from the crowd so I guess I'm not the only one who can appreciate these older musicians, ha!! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOpxF...eature=related

this one (part 2) is even better IMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5tiSxA0ri0

enjoy ^

(check out the guys who bows at 5:30 )

Last edited by tomato; 10-11-2010 at 04:43 PM.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:48 AM   #61
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Wow, thanks for the clip, tomato, that was great! All the others you mention are in my library (vinyl, cassette, CD) including Supertramp and others. I don't automatically discount new stuff, it is just that there are so many other great composers out there whose stuff is so much stronger. I'm big on Strauss, Prokopiev, Lakhme, Brahms, Elgar, Bizet, on and on; where would I find the time to study some of today's current fluff?

As far as Segovia and others are concerned, they indeed wrote- and played- the 20th Century classics, even Gershwin was able to write some memorable stuff, the peak of which was Rhapsody in Blue: the opening bars of the second movement are enough to make what's left of my hair to stand on end...

Some people ask me what music I listen to, and I reply: from machinery, or in my head? I have a terrible time with earworms, and music is in my head all the time...

Like you, I gave up music early on: trombone, particularly New Orleans Dixie. I recently bought a mouthpiece to see if I can get my wind and lip back... 72 isn't too late, is it? ;-)
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #62
chrisj

^ Never too late! :)
Old 10-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #63
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
^ Never too late! :)
+1
Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #64
tomato
Super Moderator

Did I mention Sergei Rachmaninoff, Serenata Op. 15?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 AM   #65
chrisj

Wow. I listen to Beethoven and am glad I can deal with that. I also keep it in my headphones so no one knows I'm listening to it. I put some classical on the stereo in the living room one night and my wife looked at me like I was crazy.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #66
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Bowie, Eno, Gabriel..good stuff. I too dislike country, but I also don't care for much metal or rap either. Most other forms I can appreciate. Is there any King Crimson in your collection by any chance (in keeping with your 'older' alternative bent?)

Most of my tastes center around 60's 70's and 80's music as I lost a lot of interest in keeping up with the good stuff as I aged during the 90's. So I guess for me, age hasn't changed my taste but it has affected my attention span and desire to find cool music.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:48 AM   #67
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Name dropper...;-) I'm not heavy into opera, but there are quite a few pieces that I enjoy to a point of tears. I think one is a Lakme duet (2 sopranos) and another from the Kingfisher. I came to opera late, so I don't have a solid grip on where these wonderful pieces come from. The big laugh for me is listening to some current music and hearing a melody from a classic mixed in; it isn't as frequent as it was in the 50s and 60s, but they still show up...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #68
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Like you, I gave up music early on: trombone, particularly New Orleans Dixie. I recently bought a mouthpiece to see if I can get my wind and lip back... 72 isn't too late, is it? ;-)
no NEVER. I've been practicing my trumpet all week. My old band is getting together for a reunion this weekend. I did music for my living 1975 -2000
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:32 AM   #69
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
I listen to alot of NIN and mostly rock music and trance/techno. I just recently started to get into this stuff called Agrotech music. Its like rock and techno together its pretty cool.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 02:39 AM   #70
tomato
Super Moderator

King Crimson... sigh

Now you're taking me way back! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gsfy...eature=related

I used to love them back in high school. A lot of the music that comes out of England is really, really good, IMO. Also back then Genesis, Caravan, Jethro Tull ... (sigh) ... back then I even liked the Dead ;)

I rarely listen to these bands anymore.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:41 AM   #71
tomato
Super Moderator

Simon and Garfunkel ...
CSNY
Santana ...

pfff.. so, so many
Old 10-14-2010, 02:45 AM   #72
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLyttle View Post
Name dropper...;-) I'm not heavy into opera, but there are quite a few pieces that I enjoy to a point of tears. I think one is a Lakme duet (2 sopranos) and another from the Kingfisher. I came to opera late, so I don't have a solid grip on where these wonderful pieces come from. The big laugh for me is listening to some current music and hearing a melody from a classic mixed in; it isn't as frequent as it was in the 50s and 60s, but they still show up...
Do you know Jacques Loussier?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Loussier

I saw him on TV the other day. He's been doing this since before I was born and still at it. That guy is simply amazing. Check him out on youtube, I think you'll like it. He's an excellent classical / Jazz music player. Just check him out, I think you might like his style ;)