Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #55
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
OOH BABY!!

(made my night)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 02:17 AM   #56
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
well... i don't remember which post said my ECU was not spying on me... but i think it is! cuz i got another CEL yesterday, LOL!
How are you clearing your CELs? I did not see a ScanGauge or equivalent listed in your YarisGarage.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:37 AM   #57
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Why are you guys removing your cats anyways. 1 you remove all the backpressure which you need. Sure you will get more power but you are seriousely going to impact your fuel economy which is why most of us bought this car in the first place? Second for the slight power you are going to achive which could be only 5hp at the most as opposed to doing a midpipe from the cat back. You are going to cause an extreme amount of polution. As well as mess up egr function. Not to mention how loud it is going to be. So now if you dont like this sound you will have to choose to have a restrictive muffler to muffle the sound which you could just have a nice open muffler with a cat since a cat muffles sound more than your muffler does.

Also I know in california check engine light is automatic smog failure. Not to mention it would automatically fail anyways since you have no cat.

Unless someone can prove me wrong and have thier vehicle smoged without any cats on it would be interesting to see how much emissions our little engines produce. We do have 2 cats though and its not a zero emission vehicle even with those 2 cats. HC is going to be low probally but it probally has a problem with nox
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:24 AM   #58
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Why are you guys removing your cats anyways. 1 you remove all the backpressure which you need. Sure you will get more power but you are seriousely going to impact your fuel economy which is why most of us bought this car in the first place? Second for the slight power you are going to achive which could be only 5hp at the most as opposed to doing a midpipe from the cat back. You are going to cause an extreme amount of polution. As well as mess up egr function. Not to mention how loud it is going to be. So now if you dont like this sound you will have to choose to have a restrictive muffler to muffle the sound which you could just have a nice open muffler with a cat since a cat muffles sound more than your muffler does.

Also I know in california check engine light is automatic smog failure. Not to mention it would automatically fail anyways since you have no cat.

Unless someone can prove me wrong and have thier vehicle smoged without any cats on it would be interesting to see how much emissions our little engines produce. We do have 2 cats though and its not a zero emission vehicle even with those 2 cats. HC is going to be low probally but it probally has a problem with nox
Some very valid questions there, here's my point of view.

1) Those who bought this car solely for the fuel efficiency will never want to get one of these anyway But there are some of us who like to balance the efficiency with some added fun.

2) Pollution, yes, this is a weak point of this product, as there are no cats it does dump raw exhaust. On the other hand, with "only" a 1.5L engine it produces just a fraction of the noxious stuff that you'd get from a catless V8, for example.

3) Noise? Ask anyone who has installed one, it actually really softens the exhaust note, what with 3 resonators... Totally different from a plain straight pipe.

4) OK, here there are no such things as smog checks. But for those in the US, it's relatively easy to swap back the original midpipe for the inspection.

So, as with any aftermarket part for a car, it's the owner's choice. As of the time of writing, this midpipe is the only "bolt-on" choice available, though it would certainly be nice to see some other company come up with a better alternative

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #59
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
QUOTE: As of the time of writing, this midpipe is the only "bolt-on" choice available, though it would certainly be nice to see some other company come up with a better alternative

Agreed
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 10:27 AM   #60
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:

Removing the cats does not remove all the backpressure, The car will make a couple HP more. Removing them will not change the fuel economy, and it will not mess up EGR either. The car will smell a bit, and may be slightly louder when catless.

It will not pass a sniffer test in CA, but cars do not need to be smogged for 6 years after buying a new car. Passing is as simple a swapping the midpipe to the stock unit for the smog check.

It has been proven that using a high flow cat will give you about the same HP as going catless. It may pass smog that way if the cat is placed in the correct spot, and the car won't smell. This would mean constructing a custom midpipe.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #61
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
Quote:

Just wanted to add my "$.02"...

1. My idle is smoother with the Nitto mid-pipe (less RPM hunting than stock)

2. My MPG is same or better than before the mid-pipe (consistent 37-42 MPG without any special tricks and A/C on 80% of the time)

3. Sound is 1,000,000 times better than stock IMHO. In fact I'm not running any muffler at all, just straight piping from the mid-pipe back to dual tips.

4. It takes a few days of driving for my CEL to return so I could always clear it and then get the car smogged before it returned

5. Our car is a ULEVII and not a PZEV, so I am confident it may actually pass smog without the cats in place, my 2003 350Z which was also a ULEVII passed without any cats in place just less than 1 year ago.

Keep in mind that I was one of the first to purchase this mid-pipe and did not know at the time that the "cats" are dummies, if I had known that this is removing the cats I may have not purchased. Now that I've had it on the car for a while, it's hard to imagine going back to stock, the sound and feel are just great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
oh, i'm not clearing them, just unhooking the negative battery terminal and resetting the ecu.

if i had a scangauge would the cel code tell me if its a leak at the collector? thats the other thing i suspect besides the O2 sensor, i was afraid of overtightening the spring bolts
By checking the DTC code, which can be done at most auto parts such as Autozone for free, you would be able to tell if the code is for "cat-inefficiency" or otherwise. That may be able to help you trouble shoot. In all honesty I believe that is most likely why you have the CEL as it's very unlikely that you'd have a leak that you couldn't either hear (vacuum hissing sound) or feel (by idling the car and inspecting from below).

Oh, and BTW, ROCKLAND is an annoying idiot! Why hasn't he been banned yet?
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:49 AM   #62
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03Z33 View Post
By checking the DTC code, which can be done at most auto parts such as Autozone for free, you would be able to tell if the code is for "cat-inefficiency" or otherwise. That may be able to help you trouble shoot. In all honesty I believe that is most likely why you have the CEL as it's very unlikely that you'd have a leak that you couldn't either hear (vacuum hissing sound) or feel (by idling the car and inspecting from below).

FYI - Autozone does not clear codes for free anymore. They want you to buy a OBD scanner.

Are you running any kind of CEL fix on your midpipe?
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #63
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
I was not aware that Autozone don't help out anymore... Hopefully she can find another local shop to help out.

I've been too busy and lazy to stop back at the muffler shop to add the 90 deg style de-fouler, I've had the parts in my glove box for months. Right now I just have a single slightly longer than stock O2 bung since we didn't know how far it needed to be spaced out when I first installed this.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #64
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
My elbow is enroute now all I need is a pipe. Gonna do all this and header I hope when the Holdener manifold gets here. Interested in how yours will turn out with that elbow added.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:42 PM   #65
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I will be, they are already ordered.

Quote:
Amen.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 01:31 PM   #66
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
[QUOTE=cali yaris;161956

Amen.[/QUOTE]
thanks garm, it'll be remembered............

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 03:15 PM   #67
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
come ons top the bitchering! dammit anyway im going to try to install the non foulers i have...
Old 11-01-2008, 05:29 PM   #68
at3GG

Drives: 07 metmet LB
Largeorange/cali Thats what i was thinking. I stopped at a shop i prefer around here and asked and the guy told me probably around 400 for a dual custom setup. I think he was figuring in mufflers but Ive got the megan on now and if i had them do the set up i would get another megan for the back i think. So maybe like $300 for a dual setup? I think i could live with that. Does anyone here have a dual setup? Not dual tip muffler i mean single tip on each side of the back of the car? If so I may reconsider or just go with the nitto.

*edit* although i suppose i dont want to have that extra weight for no extra power. I guess I'll just stick with a custom single or the nitto. It would look cool though.

Konig Heliums 15x6.5 Black
Tanabe Df210's

Last edited by at3GG; 11-02-2008 at 12:24 PM.
at3GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:52 PM   #69
at3GG

no opinions?

Tanabe Df210's
Old 11-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #70
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
flowmaster or magnaflow (i think) made that kind of exhaust for 1 of the LB member here, i forget who it was. don't know if it went on production though!
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #71
at3GG

Ahh thanks

Tanabe Df210's
Old 11-10-2008, 09:17 PM   #72
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
so did the CEL eliminator work that cali sent? i see hes selling them online but did u guys confirm it works?