Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #55
bayou blue Yuri

Drives: 2006 3dr Yaris RS
Is there no ground?
bayou blue Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #56
GuySmily

Drives: 2005 Toyota MR2
These guys are far cheaper and have a great reputation. DDM is the seller - Apexcone is the manufacturer.

My dad bought the bixenon h4/9003 kit from DDM:
http://ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

The high/lo feature works like a charm. The headlights look like any other rice-mobile HID-kitted car now, but the cutoff is surprisingly clean on the CRV. Newer cars (like the Yaris) are even sharper.

Since they were so swamped and the order was delayed, DDM upgraded him to the slim ballast for free and gave him a free wiring harness. Actually, he didn't even want the slim ballast since it has an external igniter. No biggie - I'll probably order a normal sized one for my bike and swap electronics.

Anyway, he's pretty happy with the kit since it's just for now (he's about to buy a new car). It's a good as any other kit will be, anyway - the components aren't exactly at the same level as OEM stuff, but it works just fine, and it's a huge help with his poor vision. The 4500k bulbs are rather bluish, almost like somewhere between 5000k and 6000k, so I wouldn't opt for anything bluer than 5000k.

In fact, I'm happy enough with the kit that I'm going to order a 55w set for my car. (My '05 MR2 has projector headlights from the factory)
GuySmily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #57
taKuto
rice rocket

Drives: 05 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou blue Yuri View Post
Is there no ground?
the yaris works with a positive ground setup, so there is one wire which is fed a 12V at all times (positive), and then the negative/ground is switched. So your harness is currently plugged into the high-beam's negative switch which is why it only works when you turn on the high beams. By moving the negative wire to the other side, the light should then work with the low beams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuySmily View Post
The 4500k bulbs are rather bluish, almost like somewhere between 5000k and 6000k, so I wouldn't opt for anything bluer than 5000k.
In fact, I'm happy enough with the kit that I'm going to order a 55w set for my car. (My '05 MR2 has projector headlights from the factory)
you are most likely right about the different color. DDM tuning has had a LOT of issues with giving out the right color temperature bulbs for their glare kits from what i've heard from many who have ordered from them and received the wrong color. They all just assume it's because their china supplier cant cope with demands so quality check has gone downhill.

You might want to note how most 55W glare kits use the same 35W bulbs and just run them boosted. This leads to a faster drop to the already dismal lumens maintenance, which has been estimated to reach about 70% brightness after 100-250 hours from new. Compare that to a boosted OEM philips 85122 bulb which drops to about 75% after about 500-750 hours running at 50W.

This is usually is not of a concern because you'll still be outputting a good chunk more light compared to halogens even after that timeframe. But for those who are hellbent on maximum brightness, it's food for thought.

Last edited by taKuto; 01-11-2009 at 03:02 AM.
taKuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #58
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
When these kits say Hi/LO what do they mean? Do they mean low is HID and high and halogen, or they mean 1 bulb has two xenon bulbs to it(if im saying it right), or does it mean its a single HID with a moving bulb?

And which of these would be better!!??

No one answered me ealier question and Im still waiting because I dont know which is better for me sedan, and I need a new kit ASAP. Also kits range wildly in price range on ebay for any of the three types I mentioned as well.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #59
bayou blue Yuri

Drives: 2006 3dr Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by taKuto View Post
you'll have to move one of the pins to the top, the negative should be at the top
Didn't work :(
bayou blue Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:39 PM   #60
taKuto
rice rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
When these kits say Hi/LO what do they mean? Do they mean low is HID and high and halogen, or they mean 1 bulb has two xenon bulbs to it(if im saying it right), or does it mean its a single HID with a moving bulb?

And which of these would be better!!??

No one answered me ealier question and Im still waiting because I dont know which is better for me sedan, and I need a new kit ASAP. Also kits range wildly in price range on ebay for any of the three types I mentioned as well.
both are garbage, but if you MUST have something like that, go for the moving solenoid bulbs.

Most hi/lo glare kits are just an HID bulb for low beam with a halogen bulb for high beam. This is trash because the high beam halogen is small and outputs just so weak that you're better off turning on/off your headlights if you wanted to get peoples attentions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou blue Yuri View Post
Didn't work :(
so when you highbeam or turn on headlights, the lights don't function? If you switch the pin back, does it still function when you flip the high beam? Have you tried switching the other pin; maybe you swapped the positive wire?
Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #61
Lafiro

Ok, thank you taKuto, but honestly, I like HID's because of the light output and visibility at night. I only wanted to know about getting a hi/lo kit because I rather get my highbeams back since Im chnaging out the kit I have now.

I know its all garbage, but it still works.

I just wish I could buy new headlights with projectors!!!! WHY hasn't a company done this yet? I don't get it!!!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #62
taKuto
rice rocket

depo projector lights have been out for a while for the yaris
Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #63
Lafiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by taKuto View Post
depo projector lights have been out for a while for the yaris
No, I meant for my Sedan though!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:34 PM   #64
taKuto
rice rocket

maybe you should start sending out emails to get depo interested in developing one.
Old 01-13-2009, 04:43 PM   #65
Lafiro

Me only? :(
I did.
Now I hope they listen.
I suggest everyone with a sedan do the same, please!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #66
jouslee

Drives: White 2007 2 Door hatch Yaris
Getting back on the topic... I just purchased this particular projector headlight from Maurino on this forum (It's the same as the ones you find on ebay). I found myself messing with them and searching for a solution to the problem of the projector beam lighting up the whole sky. As I was fiddling with this unit i found two screws (On the left and right of a single projector) that adjust both vertical and lateral angle.

This particular kit requires the H1 bulb and I accidentally purchased the H4 stock-sized bulb. Hopefully I can get it soon and do a comprehensive right up and review on these.
jouslee is offline   Reply With Quote