Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #55
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Didn't notice = thread revival until just this minute. I replied to posts from 2011 .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:31 AM   #56
MattS.

Drives: 2011 Yaris 5 dr LB
Yes, and no. Buy an older car, and pay in full. But since I bought a new car (my first ever), tough it out a few years on payments and have it for many a mile...!
MattS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:20 AM   #57
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
I can't say for sure. The 2012 Yaris is my first subcompact, but I'm surprised at how much things rattle and make noise. Maybe all subcompacts are like this because of cheap plastics, etc.? Regardless, it drives great and I expect years of trouble-free performance from engine and tranny.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:21 AM   #58
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
I can't say for sure. The 2012 Yaris is my first subcompact, but I'm surprised at how much things rattle and make noise. Maybe all subcompacts are like this because of cheap plastics, etc.? Regardless, it drives great and I expect years of trouble-free performance from engine and tranny.
Wow...nothing in my car rattles. However, rattling wouldn't be a deal breaker for a 3rd Gen as a replacement down the road.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:26 AM   #59
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
If I could go back in time...

...I'd go back and buy a 2011 instead of a 2012.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:36 AM   #60
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
If I could go back in time...

...I'd go back and buy a 2011 instead of a 2012.
Why? (Just curious re when I do replace my 07.......If my question is too nosy, please feel free to say you'd rather not say )
Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #61
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
I got a SCREAMING deal on mine. Off lease '09 (so yes to ABS and extra airbags, no to stupid traction control and ESC) with 24K miles for $7999. Now I'm closing in on 93K miles and I've been to St. Louis, Miami, NYC, Chicago, Nashville and countless other places with it. It was my first newish car and hasn't let me down an ounce. Never liked the 1G Fit, and the 2G Fit was way too bloody expensive for being a largely similar car that just had some fancy folding seats.

I'd do it all over again. However, with the offerings on the market now as opposed to just three years ago, I'm thinking of stepping up. That Fiat 500 Abarth is DELICIOUS.

...and recently, a used Honda S2000 has been speaking to me. Hm.

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #62
Aldor

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 Cool Luna
First of all hello everyone, this is my first post. I enjoy this site very much and found lots of useful stuff here. I am from Slovenia and own a '06 2nd gen 5dr Yaris 1.3lit hb with 5spd MT. I bought it used in apr'12.

Since I was in the market for a used small car this spring, I of course also considered a Fit (or Jazz as it is called in Europe). Especially since I had already owned a Honda previously.
What bought me with Yaris was it's amazing practicality and useful interior (numerous closed compartements and sliding/folding rear seats). Jazz's two direction folding rear seats and "flashier" interior don't mean anything to me. Nicer exterior was also a plus. Jazz looks like a minivan to me too, whereas Yaris looks playful and compact at the same time, which I like. It is considered a "girl's car" where I live, but one forgets about that quickly when one does a test drive.

When I drove Yaris for the first time, I was just shocked how good it drives. Handles well and is comfortable at the same time. Great driving position, precise steering, well built. After a test drive I just forgot about the Honda.

The only major complaint is the drive-by-wire-pedal / lazy engine combo. I found about that later when driving in the hills. Honda would probably shine here. Non responsivness took quite a lot of time for me to get used to, especially when driving uphill. Luckily the manual transmision is quick and precise and improves driving dynamics when I desire or am forced to drive in a sportier way.

I would buy a Yaris again if I went back to spring'12. But this time I would try to cough out an extra 2k€ for a newer '09 model (much better 1.33 engine and a 6spd transmission).
Aldor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 AM   #63
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
We agree on a lot of things about the Yaris.

I would point out a 6 speed transmission with the same top gear ratios as a 5 speed will get worse mpg.

If thats important.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #64
Aldor

With the 1,33L engine 6spd MT came as a standard here in Slovenia so I wouldn't really have a choice.
I didn't know about the gearing but I would expect they would put a longer differential gear into 6spd models. Looks like I'm wrong.

But i've read some statistics on some German site a while ago and the real world data (large sample of user mpg reports) show mpg improvement in favour of 1,33 l engine (6,0 vs 6,5 litres/100km) so the better engine seems to offset the gearbox "issue".

I do miss an extra gear sometimes between 2nd and 3rd or between 3rd and 4th though. Real PITA:(
Old 12-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #65
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Sounds like you drive for performance.

I drive for economy.

Lucky you theres a six speed!

Poor me Im too old to push a clutch in and now drive automatic
Old 12-15-2012, 01:17 PM   #66
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
(If you have the honda city there, pretty much the sedan of the honda fit)

I would think twice about the honda city or fit, but il still go for this yaris sedan.
I hate the interior exterior price and the lack of amenities/features of the city and fit and the only things i dislike about my yaris sedan is the centered gauge amd green lights.

I sometimes have regrets of not getting the 1500cc variant bec of the engine power (i have the 1300cc), but when my gas meter goes down to 2bars, i thank god i didnt.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #67
Aldor

@bronsin

Heh, my friend, with gas prices here at 1,5€ per liter (8$/gallon) driving for economy is not a choice but a must:(

The trouble with gears is that I live in a hilly country so there's a frequent need for shifting. The VTEC (not VTI!) powered Honda I drove before Yaris was happy in 5th even with steeper grades, Yaris not so much. Maybe I should move to Florida or Danmark:)

Ah, you aren't too old, you're just spoiled:D They're funny these cultural differences. I've never driven an AT car and I only know one guy who owns one. Even though the AT additional fee is usually moderate, people here rather opt for a better engine or xenons, auto climate control, foglights or stuff like that. AT comes at the bottom of the "most desired" list. I too can't imagine myself driving an auto, but i would rather spend the saved money on ski tickets or something though.

Cheers and have a nice day.

Last edited by Aldor; 12-15-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #68
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Yes, I would still get the Yaris hatch. Never liked anything about the Fit then and still don't. It continues to look like a shrunken minivan... and an ugly one at that!
This, we own a Honda Odyssey, and the Fit is just a shrunk down version of it.

Honestly, I drive a lot of compact cars as I travel a lot for work and when I can get one as a rental, I do so. As a matter of fact, it was a week of driving a Yaris in Tampa that sold me on the model!

I've driven several other cars in the same class as the Yaris and I have yet to find one that I like better than it. I am impressed at the quality of some, but none can surpass the design, quality, experience, cost or functionality of my Yaris.

The Fit was designed for people who wanted a smaller minivan, and in that genre it is a good deal; but I don't even consider it to be comparable to the Yaris.

And when it comes down to how much more expensive it is, the Yaris is a considerably better deal!
Old 12-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #69
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
I got a SCREAMING deal on mine. Off lease '09 (so yes to ABS and extra airbags, no to stupid traction control and ESC) with 24K miles for $7999. Now I'm closing in on 93K miles and I've been to St. Louis, Miami, NYC, Chicago, Nashville and countless other places with it. It was my first newish car and hasn't let me down an ounce. Never liked the 1G Fit, and the 2G Fit was way too bloody expensive for being a largely similar car that just had some fancy folding seats.

I'd do it all over again. However, with the offerings on the market now as opposed to just three years ago, I'm thinking of stepping up. That Fiat 500 Abarth is DELICIOUS.

...and recently, a used Honda S2000 has been speaking to me. Hm.
That seat was the largest draw for me....the ability to easily put a bicycle in the car....but there were (and still are) too many things I don't like about the Fit.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:35 PM   #70
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
This, we own a Honda Odyssey, and the Fit is just a shrunk down version of it.

Honestly, I drive a lot of compact cars as I travel a lot for work and when I can get one as a rental, I do so. As a matter of fact, it was a week of driving a Yaris in Tampa that sold me on the model!

I've driven several other cars in the same class as the Yaris and I have yet to find one that I like better than it. I am impressed at the quality of some, but none can surpass the design, quality, experience, cost or functionality of my Yaris.

The Fit was designed for people who wanted a smaller minivan, and in that genre it is a good deal; but I don't even consider it to be comparable to the Yaris.

And when it comes down to how much more expensive it is, the Yaris is a considerably better deal!
^^^^^ This
Old 12-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #71
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Yes, I would still get the Yaris hatch. Never liked anything about the Fit then and still don't. It continues to look like a shrunken minivan... and an ugly one at that!
I agree re the ugliness of the Fit. Would you still only get YOUR Yaris hatch, or if buying new NOW would you still get a Yaris? Your posts indicate a dislike for certain visual cues on the 3rd generation Yaris .
Old 12-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #72
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
My sentiments also.

But the Yaris is the best out there today.
When I read Flipper's post just a moment ago, my first thought was..Wow...you and Bronsin are like two peas in a pod on that issue.