Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2006, 08:33 AM   #739
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
31.6MPG - While driving it like a "Bat out of Hell!"
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 11:00 PM   #740
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Thanks for posting your results.
Really not bad considering the driving style that you described above. I guess if you choose to drive leisurely, you will achieve something closer to the factory quoted 34 mpg for city and 40 mpg for highway driving (http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...052#post33052).
Driving for fuel economy is almost as addictive as any other driving style hehehe.......
Have fun!
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 05:34 AM   #741
AlexK

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan 5MT
My best tank distance so far:
506 miles on one tank (10.29 gallons US). Works out to 49.2 mpg.
This tank was all city driving (mpg is lower on the highway). No trip longer than 15 miles and a lot of cold starts.

Secret:
Shift at low RPM (2000-2500)
Use 1/3 to 1/2 throttle to accelerate up to speed
Once up to speed, coast in neutral as much as possible
Drive like your brakes don't work... coast to a slow speed before stopping
Try to maintain momentum around corners

MPG since new

Last edited by AlexK; 10-28-2006 at 05:46 AM.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #742
zyovka

Drives: yaris sedan 07 BLACK
Oh, well, our first experience with milage, 'cause first tank of gas is over. It was like 70/30 driving in the city and on the highway. Estimated mpg came out to 34.4 miles per gallon. To be frank I expected a little bit better milage, but, hopefully, because of our engine still has only less than 400 miles, may be it will break-in. I also noticed, that people here are getting better results driving manual Yaris and mine is automatic.
zyovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #743
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
[QUOTE=AlexK]mpg is lower on the highway [QUOTE]
only time gas milage is worse on the expresway is if you drive a hyrid. Stop and go traffic uses much more gas than staying at a constant speed
Old 10-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #744
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
or unless you drive it too fast
stick with the spped limits and you will use less fuel on the highway
Old 10-29-2006, 09:30 PM   #745
AlexK

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan 5MT
Quote:
only time gas milage is worse on the expresway is if you drive a hyrid.
... or if you drive like I mentioned above.
AlexK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #746
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyovka
Oh, well, our first experience with milage, 'cause first tank of gas is over. It was like 70/30 driving in the city and on the highway. Estimated mpg came out to 34.4 miles per gallon. To be frank I expected a little bit better milage, but, hopefully, because of our engine still has only less than 400 miles, may be it will break-in. I also noticed, that people here are getting better results driving manual Yaris and mine is automatic.
34.4MPG with only 400 miles of break in is AWESOME! With 30% city driving, that is even better! You should be excited!
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:29 AM   #747
littlecarlove

Drives: Want a Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
With any fuel injected car your mileage will drop with colder weather

Colder air temps or humid weather = more oxygen and more oxygen requires more fuel to maintain stoich (proper fuel air mixture)
Best thing you can do for you car here in Ontario for the winter is run a synthetic 0w-30 engine oil. If you have an manual trans swap out the trans fluid and replace it with a synthetic 75W-90
I prefer Amsoil or Redline products and they will likely give you the best performance and help restore the mileage the best.
Ok - NOW I’m really confused…
I’m not a car guy so please explain:
If cold weather will cause you to see a drop in mpg then why
doesn’t adding a Cold Air Intake do the same thing???

Hays
littlecarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #748
pxpaulx

Drives: Barcelona Red 5spd sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecarlove
Ok - NOW I’m really confused…
I’m not a car guy so please explain:
If cold weather will cause you to see a drop in mpg then why
doesn’t adding a Cold Air Intake do the same thing???

Hays
As long as it is not TOO hot or TOO cold, a cold air intake allows for more air to flow through the engine, which somehow (i'm not technical obviously) leads to a small increase in engine economy. it does this because it is taking air outside of the car at ambient temperatures rather than the air inside the hood, which is hot because of the engine.

In colder or hot weather, i believe the efficiency effects of a cold air intake will diminish. someone with more knowledge correct me if i'm wrong!
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #749
theladybug

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch 5-Dr LE B Pkg
I'm not too thrilled with my fuel economy. Granted, I'm only a quarter of the way through my third tank, and didn't count the first one that the dealer put in, but still. I thought it would be better.

My YarisHB has just over 1000 km on it now. I typically drive about 90km a day, all of it in bumper to bumper rush hour, stop and go, highway traffic - which in my opinion, is way worse than city driving as far as fuel economy goes. [Those of you who live in the GTA know what the 401/427/Gardiner are like during rush hour.]

So, on my last tank, I got 479 km out of 38.45 litres of gasoline, making my consumption 8.02L / 100km. That was driving very conservatively. I knew it probably wouldn't hit spec, but I didn't think it'd be THAT far off!

While I hope my numbers get better, I will say that I am already getting infinitely better fuel economy than I was on my previous vehicle - a '98 Neon - and than my husband is getting on his current vehicle - a '98 Sunfire. So I'm still happy!
theladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:44 PM   #750
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
theladybug,

you will probably see some improvements in fuel economy once your engine breaks-in a little more,
but with the type of driving you are doing, i wouldn't expect to see great numbers,

i average about 34 mpg (us gallons) or 6.9L /100 km and my driving is mostly city driving with just short trips,
but the best i have achieved is 45 mpg on tanks that are entirely hwy driving.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:57 PM   #751
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy
theladybug,

you will probably see some improvements in fuel economy once your engine breaks-in a little more,
but with the type of driving you are doing, i wouldn't expect to see great numbers........
Well said friend. There is one more factor which may not be friendly to her fuel economy, i.e. the arrival of winter.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #752
Yaris

Drives: 2010 LB Meteor Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by theladybug
I'm not too thrilled with my fuel economy. Granted, I'm only a quarter of the way through my third tank, and didn't count the first one that the dealer put in, but still. I thought it would be better.
Like it or not, your car is consuming winter blend gas and you will not see improved mileage numbers until next spring when the winter blend gas will stop being served until next autumn.

If you have ethanol in your gas, you will most likely be griping about your mileage all winter.
Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:47 PM   #753
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Quote:
Well said friend. There is one more factor which may not be friendly to her fuel economy, i.e. the arrival of winte
too true swng, my car was new last winter (so not broken in) and I was only getting about 27 mpg.
do you get the winter blend fuel in bc? i suppose they might need it in the interior, but you wouldn't think it would be necessary in vancouver or victoria,
are you on the coast?
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:30 PM   #754
theladybug

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatch 5-Dr LE B Pkg
Quote:
but with the type of driving you are doing, i wouldn't expect to see great numbers,
That I know is true. I'm looking forward to taking my Yaris on its first road trip, actually, so I can see what kind of fuel economy its actually capable of.
theladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:07 PM   #755
swng

Quote:
too true swng, my car was new last winter (so not broken in) and I was only getting about 27 mpg.
do you get the winter blend fuel in bc? i suppose they might need it in the interior, but you wouldn't think it would be necessary in vancouver or victoria,
are you on the coast?
Yes, I live close to the delta of the Fraser River where it flows into the Pacific Ocean. The weather forecast for my city today is 7(highest)/2(lowest) degrees C.
I guess in winter, the whole country is served with the winter blend, but please correct me if I am wrong. I really am not sure. If I have a chance, I will ask the professionals about that.
Regards.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #756
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng
Well said friend. There is one more factor which may not be friendly to her fuel economy, i.e. the arrival of winter.

I hate winter! I see my mileage going down as well, okay its decent but nothing like it was in the spring and summer. I'm getting low to mid thirties but oh well. I guess if I try I probably could get 40's but I would have to try harder in the winter time and as mentioned before the winter blend stuff in the gas at gas stations don't help