Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-09-2007, 11:02 PM   #991
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Latest tank:

40.84 miles per Imp. gallon.
City/Highway Driving = 30/70
Load: 1-2 people plus personal belongings

Historical (in US units): http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/264

Comment: Second time of getting over 40 mpg(Imp) in a row.

Last mpg report at Post #963, Page 65.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:41 AM   #992
CHTHHULHU

Drives: 07 Yaris HB Meteorite Metalic
Must be nice. I have just over 5k miles on mine and have never seen better than 28mpg (got that once!). I normally get 26mpg. Maybe something is wrong with mine...

2007 Toyota Yaris HB Meteorite Metalic
CHTHHULHU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #993
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
@swng, this is about 33mpg US, considering your city/hw driving, this is similar to about 25mpg US in city driving and 38mpg US on highway driving. Toyota numbers are 35/40mpg (US). It still gets too low for city driving - I experience the same mpg as yours..
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 01:23 PM   #994
swng

Most likely it is not your "fault" CHTHHULHU (Post #992).
Previous pages of this thread contain a lot of discussions about why some members get better or worse mpg numbers than the others. If you have time, please enjoy reading them.
I have good reasons to believe that your numbers will improve even if your driving style do not change. Your new car is in the process of breaking in and warmer weather is coming. The most important reason I think is now that you are conscious of your car's fuel economy and once you become so, you will find or derive ways to improve it .
Please exchange your valuable views and experience with other members on this thread often.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:42 PM   #995
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
this is my hope too, that the numbers will get better as the engine will break-in more - actually I believe it's the Oxygen sensor who needs to break-in, in other words to be cooked...

I got 23mpg (US) in normal 100% city driving this fall. Then I tried to shift below 2000rpm and got 30mpg (US) in the same conditions... which is satisfying considering the advertised 35mpg - calculated in almost ideal conditions...
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:03 PM   #996
swng

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
@swng, this is about 33mpg US, considering your city/hw driving, this is similar to about 25mpg US in city driving and 38mpg US on highway driving. Toyota numbers are 35/40mpg (US). It still gets too low for city driving - I experience the same mpg as yours..
Thanks for the comments in Posts #993 and 995. I appreciate the response and dare say I know how you feel. My estimate may not be as "bad" as 25mpg for city driving. I would say about 27-28 intuitively. You know, city driving hurts fuel economy a lot. Especially, when we say city driving, we almost automatically mean a lot of traffic congestions which I think may actually be much worse than what Toyota have in mind (about city driving). I think they are talking about EPA numbers but even those are being/have been/can be reviewed. Please see http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2726 and http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...l-economy.html for some information.
In fact smooth city traffic, albeit bad enough, hurts a lot less than the kind of rush hour city traffic jams that I encounter regularly.
Having said that, I am still hoping to squeeze out some improvements to my numbers, no matter how slight. Admittedly, I have no idea if I can achieve anything at the moment, unless I decide to spend money on modifications. However, the investments involved will be hard to justify from a cost effectiveness point of view.
Please stay tuned.
Old 02-13-2007, 01:13 AM   #997
leowhy

Drives: Yaris 1.5G
dear all, really new to this forum...

i'm driving a Yaris 5doors (model 1.5G in my country) auto-transmission...

Had refill the fuel tank for 2 times... & still monitoring on the 3rd refill after the 1st 1000km service...

so far the milage i calculated is about 10.5km/L for 100% city driving... where the low fuel light started to flash...

that's roughly 300++ km for 30L of fuel which i consider high... :(

any advice/comments?

thanks
HY
Old 02-13-2007, 02:09 AM   #998
swng

Welcome to this forum, especially this thread, leowhy!
IMHO, your posted fuel economy is on the low side. Even for 100% city driving, the Yaris should return at least 12 km per liter, if not 14+, if the Toyota supplied numbers are anything to go by i.e. 40/49 per Imperial gallon for city/highway driving in the case of cars with auto transmissions sold in North America. Few people can really achieve such good results though.
Possible reasons for your car's relatively low fuel efficiency that pop up to my mind include that Malaysia is situated in the warmer part of the world and so, you may be using the A/C a lot. Also, it appears to me that your car is still in the process of breaking in. Or can it be that you drive very spiritedly? Driving styles matter a lot! Or do you carry heavy loads on a daily basis or even idle your engine and run short trips very often?
I tend to rule out poor car maintenance or inadequate tire pressure because your car is practically brand new and it has just received the first service. However, you may still like to be watchful over any possible technical problems.
Anyhow, I wish you improvements in the future. I firmly believe that once anybody becomes conscious of the subject of fuel economy, he/she will find methods to improve his/her mpg numbers one way or another. If you are interested, try reading the previous pages of this thread. You will find lots of discussions about how to bring about improvements as well as how to calculate and keep track of a car's fuel economy. Click open those useful links!
Please keep posting your results here. Thank you for your contributions in anticipation!
Safe and happy motoring!
Old 02-13-2007, 09:03 AM   #999
leowhy

hi, thanks for the warm welcome, replys & suggestions... :)

most of what you mentioned did cross my mind...

refering to weather, i do agree that i need to switch on the aircond everytime i drive... thus contribute to higher FC...

regarding my driving style, well, i'm actually not a "pick-up fan" thus i'm very light on my right foot... haha... i seldom rev the engine pass the 2.5k rpm...

however, i do notice the gear shifting are not really smooth especially from gear1 to 2 to 3 sometimes... even though its an autogear... hmm...
Old 02-13-2007, 10:51 PM   #1000
swng

Thanks for the additional information. I will be watching out for your further reports on your car's fuel economy. You may like to mention Post #997 in your next mpg report. With cross referencing, it will be easier for me and other members to form a mind picture about how your car is performing as time goes by.

BTW, this is the 1,000th post of this thread!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:53 PM   #1001
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng View Post
BTW, this is the 1,000th post of this thread!
*gives swng a cookie*

Well done

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:12 PM   #1002
swng

Thank you Moderator! Thank you!
Old 02-14-2007, 05:35 PM   #1003
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
I could always delete three of my previous posts...
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #1004
swng

Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #1005
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
fries

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:14 PM   #1006
leowhy

Quote:
Originally Posted by swng View Post
cheer up... u only loose a cookie only what?
Old 02-14-2007, 07:31 PM   #1007
swng

Don't worry! I enjoy seeing fellow members showing their good sense of humor.
Just hope no one gets carried away and goes off topic too far because the moderator can be watching!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #1008
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Got 27 MPG (US) again.