Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #91
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Hmmmm thats weird, my a/f gauge shows nothing but "green" at low boost... from this I've been assuming it's seeking to maintain stoich numbers until you get to wot/open loop. Also I was under the impression that at wot an AFR of 11--which would under any other conditions be rich--is actually ok...
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #92
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
11 is fine under boost.

Quote:
The scangauge does lag ever so slightly.
More than slightly, IMO. The scangauge is really slow, OBDII is really not useful for real-time data that changes rapidly.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:14 PM   #93
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Well even if the scangauge is lagging to go into open loop; like cammell said, just look at your boost gauge once you are in boost. If your numbers aren't 11-12, then you are lean. So it shouldn't matter if the scanguage is lagging to go into open loop, because your wideband and boost gauge are instant.

Well I am glad to hear that camell and KK are both only getting 11-12 when in open loop. Atleast I am up to page with the "normal" blitz guys.

I gotta go driving to class in a few, so I will be collecting numbers and will post later today.

* I wish the other blitz owners were active in this thread.....
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:35 PM   #94
PETERPOOP

Drove around more today. Constant 11.9-12.1 AFR with 16-17 IGN timing when in open loop. Idle of 15 AFR with single digit IGN. Also in DFCO i get 15 AFR. Open loop needs to happen sooner. I don't not like seeing the 11-12 AFR until open loop. I'd like to see it sooner, especially when I engage WOT.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:03 AM   #95
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
My ghetto air restriction testing. Rather than change back to the old airbox, I am testing different amount of airflow by adding more tape. I collected some data on the data logger and am analyzing it tonight.

LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 AM   #96
PETERPOOP

lol. ghetto R&D. nice
Old 04-24-2009, 05:01 AM   #97
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
The even funnier thing is is that if the tape isn't super pourous it will work!! hahaha
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:38 AM   #98
LtNoogie

I haven't seen my airbox since the car was a few weeks old. Does anyone know what is the size of the air inlet to the box? Is is something easily measurable?
Old 04-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #99
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Just PMed. Had to leave the warmth of my apartment.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #100
LtNoogie

Thanks for sacrificing for the team. I was just told that the opening to the stock airbox is 2" in diameter. That seems awfully small when you look at these big-ass cone low-restriction intake filters but it made me think some more.

Performance will be limited to the smallest restriction if air speed is equal. The smallest restriction is either the stock airbox inlet or the diameter of the stock throttle body.

Does anyone have the diameter of the stock throttle body opening. I'm sure if I searched, I would find it in another thread but maybe one of you have it handy.

It looks like I need alot more blue tape this afternoon. No wonder there was very little effect with the amount of tape I put on the filter.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #101
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
well, yes, i mean, some have short rams, some have long tubes, some have easy breathing filters while some don't.... we're arguing semantics here... It seems im assuming the instruction for the kit did not say anything about changing the intake and thats where everyone went wrong... adding more air to it when it wasn't needed...so tape up them thur filters
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #102
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Blitz has confirmed that they tested the kit on a stock car.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:00 PM   #103
LtNoogie

I'm going to wrap my beautiful aFe cone shaped filter in black electrical tape and leave a two inch diameter hole? That sucks (pun intended)
Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #104
LtNoogie

Mike, tape up your filter and see if your ignition timing climbs back up to double digits. I'm hoping to feel the additional power that the timing advance will give me.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #105
LtNoogie

I forgot that you have a CAI and that the filter is stuck in the fender. Anyways, I'm off work now and will go out to the parking lot with my trusty roll of blue masking tape to do some more "tuning".
Old 04-24-2009, 09:18 PM   #106
LtNoogie

The ECU is just too smart to fool. The car runs fine like this. Note that the bottom half of the filter at the tip is also taped up.

It's not going to win me points at any car show.

Old 04-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #107
PETERPOOP

lol. definately no points for style. maybe someone can sell you their stock airbox that is lying around the garage or something? I'm sure there are people with them still, who don't care for them.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #108
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
lol. definately no points for style. maybe someone can sell you their stock airbox that is lying around the garage or something? I'm sure there are people with them still, who don't care for them.
or would trade for an AFE
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote