Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-28-2006, 09:50 PM   #91
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjasz
It's OK, just reread your post....you'll eventually get it....
Are you referring to your BS? Cause the only BS I've encountered on the above post is coming from you.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:11 PM   #92
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Oh my God, that ninja chopped that man's face off!

You didn't do a 6.5 0-60. I think that was what he was getting at. Get your clock checked, I think they scammed you!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:19 PM   #93
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
0-60km/h in 6.5 seconds is not unbelievable, maybe that's where he got confused?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:42 AM   #94
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo
0-60km/h in 6.5 seconds is not unbelievable, maybe that's where he got confused?
yep sounds right.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #95
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars
Are you referring to your BS? Cause the only BS I've encountered on the above post is coming from you.

Come on it's just a couple of sentences, go ahead and reread. Chino gets it...I get it....everyone else gets it....0-60 in 6.5???
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:05 AM   #96
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
as eTIMEaGo noted, pars is probably referring to 0-60km/h

(no need to get bitchy with one another, just a cultural misunderstanding.)

edit: i just reread pars's original post myself, and realized that he is talking about mph
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 04:36 PM   #97
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
My Odyssey will smoke a Yaris and it can only do 0-60 in 7.5 seconds. You may do a 6.5 sec 0-60 but you will need a Corvette and a rope. hehe
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:24 AM   #98
Pars

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
as eTIMEaGo noted, pars is probably referring to 0-60km/h

(no need to get bitchy with one another, just a cultural misunderstanding.)

edit: i just reread pars's original post myself, and realized that he is talking about mph

Nope.

I admit, it was the confusing post, but I was referring to 6.5 sec to reach 85km/hr (which works out to 53mph). The reason why I used such a weird stats, is that racing up to 85km/hr seems to fit nicely into first and 2nd gear's power band (plus less chance of attracting police attention). Since I'm good at squeezing the most out of my car and it was a good day, I'm sticking to my numbers.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:52 AM   #99
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
well now, i dont know much about all of this, but i was looking at these numbers.

if he went 0-53mph in 6.5 seconds that means 53/6.5 yields an average accelleration of 8.153 mph/second. Now, from what i have read on yaris world it seems that the Yaris has much better acelleration from 0-40 than say, 40-70, or even 40-60. So lets say that his rate of acelleration is decreasing from 40 mph so that he is getting about an increase of 7.153 mph every second. Then he hits fifty and his rate of acelleration slows to lets be generous and say about 6.65mph/second. that means at 53 mph it would take him an additional second to reach 60 mph. that would put him at 0-60 times of 7.5 seconds, throw in human error (since it sounds like he doing this alone?) and it could easily be 8 seconds. so maybe in a manual on a slight incline?

Further, my understanding is that modern cars naturally read slightly higher than they are actually going as a safety precaution which could cost him an additional 3 mph off his recorded time, that would then mean an additional .5 seconds added to his time making his reading a possible 8.5 second time.

I suppose since many of you are getting low 9s for manual its concievable that a good driver might, on some occasion, break into 8? especially if there were a slight, maybe not very perceptible, downhill slope. Or perhaps the switch from second to third would cost more time and have reduced his speeds by larger amounts, meaning that he would have been right in the sub nines with the rest of you guys for 0-60 times?

maybe i am crazy, but just some thoughts from an idiot.
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:26 PM   #100
Pars

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGYaris View Post
well now, i dont know much about all of this, but i was looking at these numbers.

if he went 0-53mph in 6.5 seconds that means 53/6.5 yields an average accelleration of 8.153 mph/second. Now, from what i have read on yaris world it seems that the Yaris has much better acelleration from 0-40 than say, 40-70, or even 40-60. So lets say that his rate of acelleration is decreasing from 40 mph so that he is getting about an increase of 7.153 mph every second. Then he hits fifty and his rate of acelleration slows to lets be generous and say about 6.65mph/second. that means at 53 mph it would take him an additional second to reach 60 mph. that would put him at 0-60 times of 7.5 seconds, throw in human error (since it sounds like he doing this alone?) and it could easily be 8 seconds. so maybe in a manual on a slight incline?

Further, my understanding is that modern cars naturally read slightly higher than they are actually going as a safety precaution which could cost him an additional 3 mph off his recorded time, that would then mean an additional .5 seconds added to his time making his reading a possible 8.5 second time.

I suppose since many of you are getting low 9s for manual its concievable that a good driver might, on some occasion, break into 8? especially if there were a slight, maybe not very perceptible, downhill slope. Or perhaps the switch from second to third would cost more time and have reduced his speeds by larger amounts, meaning that he would have been right in the sub nines with the rest of you guys for 0-60 times?

maybe i am crazy, but just some thoughts from an idiot.
My 1st and 2nd switch is done right at the red and always result with the tire chirping. I could get rid of the chirp, but that means I'd have to slow down with the shifting, which would add to the time. Normally, my tinny tires are a big factor on the initial take-off, but in that particular occasion, they gripped well. Perhaps they were running hot or the incline factor.

Anyways, getting 8.5sec to 60mph shouldn't be a problem. Initially, my Yaris wasn't that quick, the over 9sec seemed reasonable, but now after 24,000km and some hard driving mid 8's seems more accurate and possible better with sticky rubber.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:01 AM   #101
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Fit Sport, not Fit!

When buying my wifes new Civic I told the salesman I was going to buy a Yaris. He of course tried to push me into a Fit. He showed me multiple reports and with each article the Fit beat the Yaris.

Heres the catch; In each report the Yaris was compared to a Fit Sport. Did you know the Fit Sport starts in the $17,000 range? In my opinion this is not even the same price bracket as the Yaris.

What makes the Fit Sport beat the Yaris? I think the real difference is the Fit has a 5 speed automatic, paddle shifters on the steering wheel, outside temp. guage, a tachmeter, and dual front, side, and side curtain airbags.

Five speed auto; I admit it works very well in my wifes Civic with a 1.8L, however, since the Yaris beat the Fit in acceleration I don't see the need for it. Paddle shifters; This isn't a Ferrari, do people really want to push the 1.5L to the max. An outside temp guage and Tach would be nice. Lastly, Toyota really needs to make 6 airbags standard like Honda. Safety is a big issue in these reports.

As far as looks, the Yaris blows the Fit out of the water.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:54 AM   #102
Pars

All the Fit models gets the 6 airbags (not just the sport), but here in Canada, the Yaris also gets a tachometer (which is a very good thing...no tach is a deal breaker in my opinion). Outside temperature gage would be safety issue here in Canada, with the temperature constantly handing around zero Celsius.

It seem that style is a motivating factor when purchasing a new car and the Fit without the skirt package is too simplistic, so it'd require the Fit's Sport model with the skirt package to compete with Yaris's looks. And those skirts on the Fit comes at a hefty premium. Here in Canada, a loaded 5dr Yaris goes for $16720 while the Fit sport cost $19480.

The Fit's standard side airbags got good results in side impact test, as did the optional airbags in the Yaris sedan. In rear end crash test, the Yaris faired better then the Fit. So overall, the Yaris could be a safer car. But since the side airbag isn't offered in the liftback model (which is very popular in Canada), the Fit wins in that department.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:00 AM   #103
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
He showed me multiple reports and with each article the Fit beat the Yaris.

Heres the catch; In each report the Yaris was compared to a Fit Sport. Did you know the Fit Sport starts in the $17,000 range? In my opinion this is not even the same price bracket as the Yaris.

What makes the Fit Sport beat the Yaris? I think the real difference is the Fit has a 5 speed automatic, paddle shifters on the steering wheel, outside temp. guage, a tachmeter, and dual front, side, and side curtain airbags.

Five speed auto; I admit it works very well in my wifes Civic with a 1.8L, however, since the Yaris beat the Fit in acceleration I don't see the need for it. Paddle shifters; This isn't a Ferrari, do people really want to push the 1.5L to the max. An outside temp guage and Tach would be nice. Lastly, Toyota really needs to make 6 airbags standard like Honda. Safety is a big issue in these reports.

As far as looks, the Yaris blows the Fit out of the water.
Most of those articles test the Yaris with options as well you know. Its not like they would compare a base Yaris with a Fit Sport. If they did, that is obviously an apples to oranges comparison. A comparably equipped Yaris does end up costing within the general vicinity of the Fit Sport, albeit a little cheaper.

With regards to why the Fit wins comparos; its mainly due to the classier interior and Fit is often described to have the "sport[iest] handling", especially when compared to its subcompact brethern.

Also, the paddle shifters may be more useful than you think. They are sort of gimmicky, but they can come in handy. It is nice to be able to control what gear you are in when descending down a curvy mountain road for example. One can do this with a regular automatic, but it definitely is a more akward task to accomplish. Another use is to do a downshift when you know you are going to need passing power, perhaps whilst on the freeway. If they really annoy you that much, you dont even have to use them.
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 02:48 PM   #104
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
C'mon, let's say it: the Fit is just plain UGLY.

I ordered my loaded Yaris hatchback at a price of about $15,800. The main thing it lacks in comparison to the Fit Sport ($17,000+) is a tach. It's not as roomy inside as the Fit, but it's not bad... enough room for me.

A Yaris that's well equipped competes very well with the Fit Sport, IMO.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:13 PM   #105
Pars

The RS version of the Yaris is a rip-off. You're basically paying a huge premium for minor stuff that would be standard on most entry level cars. So, using the Yaris RS as a comparison point against the Fit just doesn't make sense. It's Yaris's LE model that dominates the road. Reason being, it looks exactly the same as the RS model (except for painted side mirror) has the same power options and sells for about $3000 less.

However, in appearance, there's a noticeable difference between Fit LX vs Sport. The LX version without the skirt package looks bad. And to avoid the dopey look, you need to pay a huge premium ($19480) for the Sport. Considering that the Civic DX-G can be had for less, paying that much for the Fit is stupid.

If you really want to compare apple vs apple, then pit the Fit LX against the Yaris LE. Considering that both cars will be running on similar size tires and the Fit's plain-jane looks will be noticeable without the skirts, it'd put the the Fit at a huge disadvantage, even though equipment level and price are almost identical (Canadian models only). In the States, the Fit's sport model is more reasonably priced, so pitting it against the Yaris makes sense, but here in Canada, the Sport model is totally over priced when compared to a loaded Yaris.

Regarding interiors. I like the Yaris seating and view of the road (but Fit is almost as good, so no clear winner). The Fit has a very upscale dash layout, but the Yaris simplistic but elegant design has it's own character, so once again, no clear winner. For me the deciding factor was the placement of my portable NAV system, which mounted perfect onto the glass covering for the Yaris's instrument panel and actually gives the dash a more upscale appearance since the Magellan unit has the same chrome finish and blends in with the stock layout.

Last edited by Pars; 12-21-2006 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:23 PM   #106
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by corey415 View Post
Most of those articles test the Yaris with options as well you know. Its not like they would compare a base Yaris with a Fit Sport. If they did, that is obviously an apples to oranges comparison. A comparably equipped Yaris does end up costing within the general vicinity of the Fit Sport, albeit a little cheaper.

With regards to why the Fit wins comparos; its mainly due to the classier interior and Fit is often described to have the "sport[iest] handling", especially when compared to its subcompact brethern.

Also, the paddle shifters may be more useful than you think. They are sort of gimmicky, but they can come in handy. It is nice to be able to control what gear you are in when descending down a curvy mountain road for example. One can do this with a regular automatic, but it definitely is a more akward task to accomplish. Another use is to do a downshift when you know you are going to need passing power, perhaps whilst on the freeway. If they really annoy you that much, you dont even have to use them.
Classier interior? More functional seat adjustments I admit, but thats it. The comparisons I saw was a Fit Sport vs. Yaris LB base model, no airbags. Thats a $17,000 plus Fit vs. a $11,900 Yaris. No wonder the Fit won, but mot buy much.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:32 PM   #107
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
Might you have links to said articles which make such ridiculous comparisons?

Of course looks are subjective, but the Fit is often praised by automotive journalists as having a "classier interior"...
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:05 AM   #108
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Yeah, I think generally the Fit has an interior dash look that would appeal to most ppl far more than the Yaris's does...

but myself I like the Yaris's interior look much better!

Its more "techno" hah