Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-10-2007, 08:34 AM   #1153
grampi

Drives: Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
depends on driving style I'd say, more than likely you'll get better mileage than the averag numbers you see here.
That's a good point that I didn't even consider until you mentioned it. I also seem to get better mileage with my Corolla than other people get with thiers, so maybe my driving habits are more condusive to achieving better fuel economy. Come to think of it, I'm always the one getting passed on the highway. While I'm cruising along at 75 MPH, everyone else is passing me at 80+ MPH. I might see low 40s with a Yaris.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:37 AM   #1154
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Only one way to find out

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #1155
grampi

Drives: Corolla
I know. Don't rub it in.
grampi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 10:54 AM   #1156
lowkey

Drives: 90 Integra, 07 Yaris
Best to date
535 Km on one tank!
Driving without the A/C.
1 1/2 weeks of city daily driving.
lowkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:24 AM   #1157
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
Second tank: 33 mpg (up from 31 mpg on the first tank).
'07 3-door Meteorite Metallic Liftback: manual transmission, power package, 60/40 split fold-flat rear seat, ABS, side airbags, keyless entry, fog lights, 7-spoke 15" Toyota alloys, cruise control, TRD sway bar.
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:57 PM   #1158
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
I don't know what my MPG is currently.

But I filled it up last time and I'm down 3 bars at just over 200 Km I think, all city driving.

It's hard for me to like go all the way down to the fuel light on, cause I live on Vancouver island (Canada West coast) and if I go up island about 50 KM gas is like 8 cents cheaper...so I'll fill up on the way back there and stuff so it's hard to get an accurate reading (unless i see how much fuel I put in and do the math which I'm waaaay too lazy to do that haha.)

so I'll post when I get an accurate MPG reading.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:28 AM   #1159
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
I don't know what my MPG is currently.

But I filled it up last time and I'm down 3 bars at just over 200 Km I think, all city driving.

It's hard for me to like go all the way down to the fuel light on, cause I live on Vancouver island (Canada West coast) and if I go up island about 50 KM gas is like 8 cents cheaper...so I'll fill up on the way back there and stuff so it's hard to get an accurate reading (unless i see how much fuel I put in and do the math which I'm waaaay too lazy to do that haha.)

so I'll post when I get an accurate MPG reading.
Guess you'll never know, because thats the only way to figure gas milage (unless you buy a scangauge), your fuel gage DOES NOT tell you how many gallons you used. Without keeping track for several fillups whether its a full tank or a quarter tank at a time you may as well be pickin a number between 25 and 50. No offense....but come on already!?!?
Old 05-12-2007, 12:40 AM   #1160
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
There are so many factors for gas mileage, what you need to do is be OK with what you are getting. People mis-calculate, there are atmospheric anomolies, gasoline variances, etc. The best thing to do is say, "Wow, I am 1/2 a tank and I've gone THAT MANY MILES! Beat the heck out of an SUV!" and be happy with it!

Here in the Bay Area, if you commute on one side of the bay, you get different gas mileage because of prevailing winds, than the other side of the bay. It could be a 6MPG difference, and you wouldn't even feel the wind...
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:55 AM   #1161
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Yes milage varies with temp, road conditions, etc. ......but to say my half tank got me xxxmiles means nothing, it's not MIScalculating by not measuring, it's NOT calculating. Gas milage is the amount of gas used per mile, not miles divided by a guestimate of gallons, under the conditions that are existant. No one ever asks how good of milage do you get with a 30 mile wind behind you, or if you only go down hill....the only reason to ask is to get a factual answer by dividing the miles by the total number of gallons (miles per gallon), anything else is BS (or Pelosi/Read mumbo jumbo, all talk no facts).....Sorry I'm cranky tonight, I'll shut up before I really offend someone
Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #1162
craigq

Drives: '07 Yaris, '12 GLI
Transmission: Automatic
Driving style: Pretty sedate. Some A/C use.
Driving cycle: not sure, maybe 65/35 HWY/CTY
KM: 423
Fuel to fill: 26.647L
6.3 L/100KM
15.87 KM/L
44.84 IMP MPG
37.34 US MPG
craigq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:27 AM   #1163
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
This tank is only a few days old but I set a new personal record for distance before losing the first pip on the fuel gauge:

My normal commuting drains the first pip between 85 and 90 miles, and even on road trips it usually doesn't last longer than 104 miles. I'm anxious to see how this pans out across the whole tank.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #1164
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
I got my Yaris with a half a tank of gas. So my first full tank of gas averaged 38mpg. Not bad for an Auto can't wait to see what happens once everything is broken in.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #1165
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Right now my Yaris fuel mileage is without the bounds cast upon it by mankind, but of course it is parked in the garage.

On a serious note I have averaged 41 MPG (to date) counting every gallon of gas since purchase. My commute is approximately 50 miles per day with about 45 of those on Interstate highway at a steady 65 MPH. My friend has an equally capable vehicle, but does much worse. She accelerates hard from stops and drives at ever fluctuating speeds on the Interstate. You know the type, she always races ahead, but you catch up to her at the next red light! We toke her car on a trip and I drove achieving the highest MPG she has ever had with that car. She was pissed, but started to pay attention to how I drive. We both are going to get a Scanguage to improve our results (I hope) through driver discipline.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #1166
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
This tank is only a few days old but I set a new personal record for distance before losing the first pip on the fuel gauge:

My normal commuting drains the first pip between 85 and 90 miles, and even on road trips it usually doesn't last longer than 104 miles. I'm anxious to see how this pans out across the whole tank.
Wow, how'd you manage that? My guess is that you hooked sail to the top of the car and had the wind blow it around in the back roads
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:19 PM   #1167
hystria

Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
Wow, how'd you manage that? My guess is that you hooked sail to the top of the car and had the wind blow it around in the back roads
that too, but also tank refilled to max possible level , thus first line means way above 5 liters, probably somewhere 7-8 liters
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 04:29 PM   #1168
Sleeper
Look slow, go fast

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback 5 spd
On my most recent tank of gas I achieved 39.4MPG, I was very pleased. It was the first time I had driven my Yaris for mileage, instead of driving hard, still missing the extra 700HP I experience on a regular basis. I shifted at 3000RPM and accelerated... slowly. I'd say it took me 10 seconds to get to 45mph driving like that. S-L-O-W.

It's a compromise, this mileage thing. You get the typical pushy Floridian SUV drivers on your tail flashing their hi-beams when you drive for gas mileage. A problem I'm not used to experiencing. Back before I put a blower on my truck and was getting ~500hp I'd accelerate slowly, wait for someone to get aggravated and try to pass me. Then I'd slam the gas pedal down, leaving them in the dust or just keep them from being pushy by matching their speed. Fun times, just not when gas is >$3 a gallon and you get <8MPG.
1995 Chevrolet k1500 extended cab
Blown 396 smallblock 797hp @6500RPM
looks stock, but burns riced-out imports daily.
Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #1169
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
Right now my Yaris fuel mileage is without the bounds cast upon it by mankind, but of course it is parked in the garage.

On a serious note I have averaged 41 MPG (to date) counting every gallon of gas since purchase. My commute is approximately 50 miles per day with about 45 of those on Interstate highway at a steady 65 MPH. My friend has an equally capable vehicle, but does much worse. She accelerates hard from stops and drives at ever fluctuating speeds on the Interstate. You know the type, she always races ahead, but you catch up to her at the next red light! We toke her car on a trip and I drove achieving the highest MPG she has ever had with that car. She was pissed, but started to pay attention to how I drive. We both are going to get a Scanguage to improve our results (I hope) through driver discipline.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:05 PM   #1170
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by hystria View Post
that too, but also tank refilled to max possible level , thus first line means way above 5 liters, probably somewhere 7-8 liters
I never fill beyond a pump's automatic shut-off, and with few exceptions
I always use the same pump at the same station.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote