Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 11:00 AM   #127
XYaris
 
Drives: '09 Yaris LB
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 152
I run 17x7, et40 right now and when I replace my tires (205/40/17) I really want to increase the amount of sidewall. What is the best/recommended manner of accomplishing this, other than buying smaller wheels, which I am also considering.

Can I run a slightly wider tire (215/40) or maybe run 205/45/17. Will either or both of these rub? Im on trds and Im about to get some blue struts. Thanks.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #128
zenonis
I've made a post!
 
Drives: yaris RS 2003
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CYPRUS
Posts: 1
can anyone tell me the original offset of my yaris 1.3L 2003 RS please?
thanks
zenonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #129
everydaylife
I've made a post!
 
Drives: 2005 Echo RS HB
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYaris View Post
I run 17x7, et40 right now and when I replace my tires (205/40/17) I really want to increase the amount of sidewall. What is the best/recommended manner of accomplishing this, other than buying smaller wheels, which I am also considering.
hey, I have a 2005 echo rs hatch back and I am looking at some konig feather 17" +40 with 205/40/17's so the same size tire you are running. I wanted to know why you want to change them? Have you had any problems?
everydaylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #130
paulyates
 
Drives: 2007 HB
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 5
Black Yaris, and others....

Great forum by the way!

I am changing to new wheels and tires, and read a bunch, but have not found answer to this question:

When you go larger width tire/wheel, obviously you gain weight.

What is not particularly straightfroward to me is as the DIAMETER of the wheel increases, the WHEEL weight, all things being equal, shall also increase. BUT, all things being equal, is there a DECREASE in TIRE weight, as the sidewall (assuming the total tire diameter is stable) decreases in thickness, you'd expect the weight to drop. I'm sure it not at all straigtforward as the sidewall likely has to be thicker as the aspect ratio drops. I expect that the tire weight loss does not keep up with wheel weight gain.

What sort of weight changes are we talking about, from stock 15x5.5 steels WITH stock tires, going to a set of Rotas or Konig 15-16x7 at 14-17lbs? Anyone weighed their wheel/tire sets before and after?

There are also inertia issues if weight is being displaced radially (outward) relative to the tire. If you've got 20 lbs, you'd rather have all of it at the hub, not the rim (not considering strength here).

So, what sort of weight ranges are acceptable for 16, 17inch wheel/tire upgrades? Or said another way, the $/lb saved is not linear, if you're going under 18lbs you pay a bit more (16" wheel), under 14lbs, a LOT more.

I thought it simple, but it ain't. SOME size of tires are a LOT more than others right nearby in size. Any to avoid?

LASTLY, I might lower, likely not. I'm cheap, and I like to drive as quick as I can on winding roads through the local mountains/woods. I'm thinking 15x7 is the best bet for me. Perhaps 16x7 as another choice. I'll keep a set of snows on the stock steel wheels.
Seems 225 is likely too fat, less OK, No?
Seems as well that 15x7.5 too wide a wheel (as you're not going over 225 anyway).
Is there any significant change going from 15x5.5 to 15x6.5, or is 15x7 the best way to go (if you're staying 15" wheels)?

Sorry to run long, I welcome anyone's thought on the matter.
PY
paulyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #131
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
To answer the tire weight questions, most tire companies now list tire weight on their web site. Check them out to look at different weights.

One thing to think about is as the aspect ratio of the sidewall gets smaller, the sidewall has to get stronger, meaning it ways more.

To answer your question, Toyo Proxes R888 @ 225/55/15 weigh 23.7 lbs, and Konig Helium weigh about 11 pounds for 15 x7.

the stock yaris 15x6 weighs 16 lbs, and the stock tires weight 17 or 18lbs.

To put it simply, the better the tire handles, the more it will weigh. For performance, find the lightest wheel you want to afford, and just get the tire you want.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:20 PM   #132
paulyates
 
Drives: 2007 HB
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 5
...

thank you sir.
paulyates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:39 PM   #133
scape
 
scape's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Beaufort, South Carolina
Posts: 388
i think weight is a tricky thing as not all rims are weighted in the same places (some have more weight at the rim itself rather than the hub bolt section) as well some tires (low profile) can have heavy belts to keep their stability and form under stress, comes with the territory of low profile high performance tires (and thus more weight at the outermost portion of the tire/wheel diameter is going to be felt first)
I personally went with 195/55/15's general exclaim uhp's, adds more grip than stock and also better stopping while also maintaining relatively similar weights.
after some research I found you can not get the exact stock tire as the aftermarket tire (same brand and type) actually weighs more.
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:35 PM   #134
why?
Only Happy When it Rains
 
why?'s Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: harnett county NC
Posts: 4,097
but who would want the oem stock tire? They truly stink.

For rim weight use wheelweights.net. The best guide out there.
__________________
Colin Chapman disciple
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #135
XYaris
 
Drives: '09 Yaris LB
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydaylife View Post
hey, I have a 2005 echo rs hatch back and I am looking at some konig feather 17" +40 with 205/40/17's so the same size tire you are running. I wanted to know why you want to change them? Have you had any problems?
I have come close to damaging the rims a few times. I guess my rims are strong because i can see where the tire and been stressed a bit and the rim may have a slight scratch (no bends at all). I am just interested in adding some sidewall to the mix. Since running stock rims with snows for the winter Ive really enjoyed having some cushion.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #136
Rikster
 
Rikster's Avatar
 
Drives: Toyota Yaris (2010)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NL
Posts: 54
I've got 15" 7J et 44 work cr-kai's, i was thinking of a 185/55/R15 tire! will this fit properly?
Rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #137
kimona
Super Moderator
 
kimona's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Huntington Bch, CA
Posts: 4,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikster View Post
I've got 15" 7J et 44 work cr-kai's, i was thinking of a 185/55/R15 tire! will this fit properly?
Yes, 185's will fit, but with ET44, you can install 205's and have a very nice fitment.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #138
Rikster
 
Rikster's Avatar
 
Drives: Toyota Yaris (2010)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NL
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Yes, 185's will fit, but with ET44, you can install 205's and have a very nice fitment.
i think 205's will make my car pretty slow, it's just a 1.0
Rikster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:49 PM   #139
SilverBack
Joey
 
SilverBack's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: El Monte, Ca
Posts: 3,530
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Yes, 205's will slow you down just a little because of a larger contact patch and increased rolling resistance. Also, like Why said, they can weigh more because of thicker sidewall construction. These are my only regrets with this tire, so the next DD set to get will be the same brand but in 195.
__________________
Formerly owned Met-Met. '07 Yaris LB 5-speed.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #140
Billiam
 
Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 574
Alright fellas...I just read this entire thread and it's kinda got me rethinking my possible setup. I thought I was going rather conservitive, but maybe not.

Here's what I was thinking:

TRD or NF210 springs

Rim #1 - 15x6.5, +38mm offset with a 205/55 tire

Rim #2 - 15x6, +39mm offset with a 205/55 tire

Will I really rub with either of these setups?


EDIT: Ok...forget the 6.5 inch rim. I just bought a set of OE xB1 rims...that'd be rim #2, 15x6, +39mm offset. So...like I asked, do you gurus think I'll be ok with a 205/55 tire with either of the above mentioned springs?

Last edited by Billiam; 03-28-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM   #141
Billiam
 
Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 574
Anyone?
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #142
tk-421
Super Moderator
 
tk-421's Avatar
 
Drives: 5D-07-LB
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Dagobah
Posts: 4,262
I have almost exactly the same setup (205/50R15 +38 on 6.5" wheels with NF201 springs) and there's no rub whatsoever. I went with a bit lower profile tires because of price concerns, but I will probably go with 205/55 the next time around since there's definitely enough space in there for that size.
__________________

Last edited by tk-421; 03-29-2010 at 09:58 PM.
tk-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #143
Billiam
 
Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
I have almost exactly the same setup (205/50R15 +38 on 6.5" wheels with NF201 springs) and there's no rub whatsoever. I went with a bit lower profile tires because of price concerns, but I will probably go with 205/55 the next time around since there's definitely enough space in there for that size.
Thanks for the info.

I'm actually getting a bit of conflicting info though. Some say that with a 1.5 inch drop, 15x6, +39mm offset and a 205/55 tire I may get some rubbing in the front fender during hard bumps.

My wheels and TRD springs are already are ordered, so I can't really change that. I think I'll just get the springs installed and evaluate how it sits on the stock steelies/tires and go from there.

If anyone out there is running a 205/55/15 tire on a 6 inch rim with 39mm offset on TRD springs...please chime in.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:55 PM   #144
10DG22
 
10DG22's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Arizona
Posts: 44
I have a set of 15 by 7 4 lug 0 offset wheels, would they fit possibly?
10DG22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamago's guide to ultimate yaris handling Tamago Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 99 01-25-2026 12:51 PM
NEWS: TOYOTA REVEALS ALL-NEW YARIS SEDAN AT 2006 LOS ANGELES AUTO SHOW VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 7 09-20-2023 07:50 AM
News : 2007 Toyota Yaris - the little Euro's official arrival VitzBoy General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 9 06-06-2017 12:51 AM
2007 Yaris Pricing Info ! YarisBueller New YARIS Purchase Forum 104 06-24-2009 04:54 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:17 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.