Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #145
TURBO YARIS

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
balancing a four cylinder engine is just a waste. Your info really is only good for massive engines or older ones.

Modern engines come off the line almost perfectly specced, and aftermarket companies can now have all the same equipment and ability that the manufacturers have.

This isn't the 60's anymore. There are a lot of things people did as a a matter of course on those cars that is totally useless on ours.
Any and every engine not mater how many cylinders, configuration or size will benefit from having its rotating assembly balance. If the factory piston and rod weight 100 grams together & you replace it with an aftermarket piston & rod which is either lighter (75 grams) or heavier (125 grams) the factory balance is gone. And yes it isnt the 60's, so why wouldnt you do a process to engine that is done by every professional engine builder and has proven result time & time again? BTW my weight #'s are just examples. Im well aware that the factory pistons & rods are lighter than a set of CP's & Pauter.
TURBO YARIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #146
TURBO YARIS

Quote:
balancing a four cylinder engine is just a waste. Your info really is only good for massive engines or older ones.

Modern engines come off the line almost perfectly specced, and aftermarket companies can now have all the same equipment and ability that the manufacturers have.

This isn't the 60's anymore. There are a lot of things people did as a a matter of course on those cars that is totally useless on ours.
In my shop right now. I build engines everyday. Im not a flake internet tough guy. I know what Im saying is a fact. If you guys keep on thinking like this you will never evolve........

3000 HP.jpg

Customer car 1.jpg

photo (4).JPG

photo (8).JPG

photo (10).JPG

photo (9).JPG

photo (7).JPG
Old 06-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #147
TURBO YARIS

Quote:

I wonder what Colin Chapman would respond to you if he read the above statement.......
Old 06-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #148
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Yea mine is balanced. The 1nzfe shortblock we offer comes balanced... I can't compare a non balanced motor because every one we assemble is. The machine shop who handles our motors includes balancing the rotation assembly in the process. Rods come back numbered for specific assembly order. My built motor has over 40k on it now ( not easy miles , trust me).... is it because it is balanced ? I couldnt say

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #149
TURBO YARIS

Blown: Im not surprised @ all that your motors is balanced. There is absolutely no logical reason not to. The next thing you know someone is going to say that blueprinting is a waste on 4 cylinder........
Old 06-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #150
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I never said don't do it, or that's it's a bad idea, or that it won't make power.

Now I'm going to have to ask and find out if, after all that, they balanced mine too. I didn't think so.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #151
TURBO YARIS

At no time did I claim you said " don't do it, or that's it's a bad idea, or that it won't make power" so I dont understand why you would need to defend a statement you never said.

Weather or not it was done to your motor or Blowns motor is not the issue here. The issue is how can anyone say this:

"balancing a four cylinder engine is just a waste"

or

"but Inline engines dont inflict the type of counteracting forces on the crank that the V styles engines do."
Old 06-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #152
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ ok.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #153
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Yes, Im sure if your building V8 funny cars balancing the rotating assem. is far more critical.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #154
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
I wantesdto really say something here, but since the owner of YW is too effin cheap to provide a solid mobile solution I have put in too much effort here just to type this!

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:11 AM   #155
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Is it time for a Thread Summary?

Reading again, I don't see that there's much of an argument in here.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #156
thefalls

Drives: Axio GT
Just to chime in,i know many people with 4efte forged engines that have not been balanced and doing fine. This doesnt mean that you shouldnt do it but just to show that it may not be necessary.

I have been told that if you dont go above stock redline then you can get away with it.
thefalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #157
TURBO YARIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Yes, Im sure if your building V8 funny cars balancing the rotating assem. is far more critical.
I could only wish I was building NHRA funny cars, but actually the red and green cars are Pro Mods & the blue is a Top Sportsman.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #158
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Yes, ...if your building V8 funny cars...
V8 funny cars!!, there is nothing funny about a blown V8, unless you have an xA that beats them.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood

Last edited by Golddeenoh; 06-12-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #159
TURBO YARIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddeenoh View Post
V8 funny cars!!, there is nothing funny about a blown V8, unless you have an Xa that beats them.
That will be the day!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #160
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBO YARIS View Post
I wonder what Colin Chapman would respond to you if he read the above statement.......
Colin Chapman also never drove a car he built. I wonder why, Nor did he ever build street legal vehicles.

There is a gigantic difference between a leave no stones unturned spend every penny possible race car and a street car.

If I was going to put $40k into an engine of course I'd balance it. It would be dumb not to.

But if you are trying to get people who spend a few grand on a turbo kit, tune it themselves, and maybe spend a few hours with a professional tuner to make a $13k car hit 130-150hp, I just don't see the point. Unless you are going to tell me you'd charge someone a flat rate of two or three hundred dollars to do it, I don't see the need for it on a street car or even a car that is auto crossed on a local level.

And yes, on a big block from the 60's it would be worth it, as it would probably make more power. As Dent guy mentioned, if it isn't necessary on a high powered Supra, I doubt it would be necessary on a street driven Yaris.

Last edited by why?; 06-13-2012 at 12:51 PM.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #161
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Brian...hit me up on the phone if you wanna discuss anything further on your build bud. You know I am interested...I am over this thread. No offense.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #162
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Do you see the point if they intend to push it to 250-300? Because that's what's up on this build.

Let's just leave it alone, guys and enjoy the hell out of pimp's build.

Quote:
spend a few grand on a turbo kit, tune it themselves, and maybe spend a few hours with a professional tuner to make a $13k car hit 130-150hp, I just don't see the point.