Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #145
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
voodoo - Were you using crusie or foot control. With Foot Control you can get better MPGs. I am using cruise control in both cars to be fair. Now I do have Michelin HydroEdge tires on my Yaris that are slightly wider than stock, so that may be affecting my MPGs. On my Yaris they are pumped to 44PSI. On my Fit I have not touched the stock tire pressure. Haven't even removed a valve stem cap. With the Fit Sports low profile tires, I don't think I'm going to inflate them over the reccomended PSI just for ride comfort. The Fit is a little rough over rough roads, but in a good way.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #146
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
voodoo - Were you using crusie or foot control. With Foot Control you can get better MPGs. I am using cruise control in both cars to be fair. Now I do have Michelin HydroEdge tires on my Yaris that are slightly wider than stock, so that may be affecting my MPGs. On my Yaris they are pumped to 44PSI. On my Fit I have not touched the stock tire pressure. Haven't even removed a valve stem cap. With the Fit Sports low profile tires, I don't think I'm going to inflate them over the reccomended PSI just for ride comfort. The Fit is a little rough over rough roads, but in a good way.
That makes some more sense. I don't have cruise control. So you're possibly taking a double hit with cruise control and wider tires on your Yaris vs ours which is still on oem Bridgestones.

I know around here, it's just hilly enough that MPG would suffer a lot with cruise on, not so much in the prairies.

Thanks for helping me figure out what you're saying.

I'd still check your psi on your Fit if I was you. Who knows what whomever was smoking when they filled your tires. I just got the Yaris from an oil changed they pumped my tires between 30-36 psi.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:54 AM   #147
nsmitchell

Good Point. My brother has a nice Craftsman digital tire gauge and I just bought a new tire pump.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:50 PM   #148
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
That makes some more sense. I don't have cruise control. So you're possibly taking a double hit with cruise control and wider tires on your Yaris vs ours which is still on oem Bridgestones.

I know around here, it's just hilly enough that MPG would suffer a lot with cruise on, not so much in the prairies.

Thanks for helping me figure out what you're saying.

I'd still check your psi on your Fit if I was you. Who knows what whomever was smoking when they filled your tires. I just got the Yaris from an oil changed they pumped my tires between 30-36 psi.
are your numbers all highway miles?

the best i've been able to achieve on the highway in my yaris (manual) is 45 mpg (u.s. gallon), that's travelling a top speed of 110 km/h

are you saying that you aren't adjusting your driving to get such good numbers?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #149
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy View Post
are your numbers all highway miles?

the best i've been able to achieve on the highway in my yaris (manual) is 45 mpg (u.s. gallon), that's travelling a top speed of 110 km/h

are you saying that you aren't adjusting your driving to get such good numbers?
Most of my tanks are a majority of highway miles, but I have some where I've achieved high 40 US MPG in mostly heavy traffic in downtown Toronto. That does involve thinking about FE to achieve. Turning the car off at long lights, accelerating slowly and coasting to red lights.

However, my highway mileage often includes bumper to bumper traffic jams (you are probably familiar with the 401? I drive Markham Rd to Mississauga Rd, everyday to work). The worst one was last year, it took me 3 hours to get to work instead of the usual 40-50 minutes.

To get over 40 US MPG on highway driving takes no adjustment to my driving at all. I can get between 40-44 mpg (depending on other coniditions) even if I'm going 75 mph the majority of the time. Usually closer to 40 and a few times below that, but barely.

For me to get over 50 US MPG consistently I do have to drive slow, the weather has to be warm and I can't do much more than 50% city driving on a tank. Going over 55 mph very often, will kill a 50 + US MPG tank for me.

In the warm weather, you may be surprised how easy it is to get over 50 US MPG if you aren't driving all city, as long as you try to stay between 50-55mph and don't drive in the mountains like Bailout.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:50 AM   #150
stuffy

Quote:
Most of my tanks are a majority of highway miles, but I have some where I've achieved high 40 US MPG in mostly heavy traffic in downtown Toronto. That does involve thinking about FE to achieve. Turning the car off at long lights, accelerating slowly and coasting to red lights.

However, my highway mileage often includes bumper to bumper traffic jams (you are probably familiar with the 401? I drive Markham Rd to Mississauga Rd, everyday to work). The worst one was last year, it took me 3 hours to get to work instead of the usual 40-50 minutes.

To get over 40 US MPG on highway driving takes no adjustment to my driving at all. I can get between 40-44 mpg (depending on other coniditions) even if I'm going 75 mph the majority of the time. Usually closer to 40 and a few times below that, but barely.

For me to get over 50 US MPG consistently I do have to drive slow, the weather has to be warm and I can't do much more than 50% city driving on a tank. Going over 55 mph very often, will kill a 50 + US MPG tank for me.

In the warm weather, you may be surprised how easy it is to get over 50 US MPG if you aren't driving all city, as long as you try to stay between 50-55mph and don't drive in the mountains like Bailout.
i'd love to see how you get such good numbers in the city, i drive like a grandma, coast to lights, shut off engine on long lights but the highest i've gotten in the city is high 30's.

my trips are usually fairly short though, so this could be where i'm really taking a hit on the FE.

i can achieve the mid 40's on the highway, but not travelling faster than 110 km/h (that would be around 70 mph i think), anything over 110 my FE drops significantly.

i've had the yaris now for 3 years and have tracked the FE since the car was new, so i pretty much know what to expect depending on driving conditions and the time of year- that's why i found your numbers a bit high.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #151
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Fruit Fly
Old 11-06-2008, 11:36 AM   #152
voodoo22

Quote:
i'd love to see how you get such good numbers in the city, i drive like a grandma, coast to lights, shut off engine on long lights but the highest i've gotten in the city is high 30's.

my trips are usually fairly short though, so this could be where i'm really taking a hit on the FE.

i can achieve the mid 40's on the highway, but not travelling faster than 110 km/h (that would be around 70 mph i think), anything over 110 my FE drops significantly.

i've had the yaris now for 3 years and have tracked the FE since the car was new, so i pretty much know what to expect depending on driving conditions and the time of year- that's why i found your numbers a bit high.
Maybe I drive like a Grandma's Grandma?

That is one difference depending on what your idea of a short trip is, except for picking my wife up after work, I rarely drive on trips shorter than 60 km's round trip and my commute is a minimum 104 kms r/t.

I too have tracked the fuel mileage on our car since new over 60+ tanks and I know none of my numbers are aberrations as the Yaris has over 40k kms on it now. This past tank has been nearly 100% 401 driving and it looks like I have a chance to do well over 50 US MPG on winter tires going 80-90 km/h. I hit 712 km's when the 6th bar went away this morning. I've only had a couple short errands and haven't had to pick my wife up after work on this tank and I'm quite shocked with the numbers I appear to be getting on the winters. I can't tell if the numbers are accurate yet though as I don't have a scan guage and every now and then the fuel gauge on the Yaris seems to have a brain fart.

I don't feel I'm doing anything you aren't, but I'm sure some of this discrepancy could be chalked up to perhaps me usually doing longer trips than you?
Old 11-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #153
stuffy

that's probably what it is, my city trips are probably under 20 km round trips.

i don't have a scanguage either, but you're probably going to get a more precise reading by just crunching the numbers after filling up-

i would like to try out a scangauge to see specifically what kind of driving is giving me the best FE, but to spend a couple hundred bucks on it is not worth it even in the long run.
it would be nice to buy one as a group and give everyone a month with it to help them improve their driving, then pass it on to the next person.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:34 AM   #154
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
I'd choose my silver egg over any other car in it's class anyday. It's small, inexpensive, good on gas, reliable, ..and surprisingly a chick magnet (wasn't expecting that, but I'm not complaining)

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
Old 11-08-2008, 08:19 AM   #155
voodoo22

Quote:
that's probably what it is, my city trips are probably under 20 km round trips.

i don't have a scanguage either, but you're probably going to get a more precise reading by just crunching the numbers after filling up-

i would like to try out a scangauge to see specifically what kind of driving is giving me the best FE, but to spend a couple hundred bucks on it is not worth it even in the long run.
it would be nice to buy one as a group and give everyone a month with it to help them improve their driving, then pass it on to the next person.
That's my exact way of thinking. A scan guage isn't going to give enough of a benefit to pay for itself on our cars unless you were getting horrible numbers now and hopefully the next cars we have will have similar technology built into it.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #156
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Good points.
and is geared irresponsibly so that it gets worse fuel economy.
LOL. Way to make an over-the-top comment.

Its fuel economy is 1-2 mpgs off a Yaris (Canadian ratings anyways). And that equates to "irresponsible" gearing. C'mon hahahahaha that comment's a joke.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #157
voodoo22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
LOL. Way to make an over-the-top comment.

Its fuel economy is 1-2 mpgs off a Yaris (Canadian ratings anyways). And that equates to "irresponsible" gearing. C'mon hahahahaha that comment's a joke.
You could have worded your response in a much more mature way if you didn't understand where I was coming from.

My statement is only a joke if you think the Yaris' mileage should be the best in class. If Honda geared their cars better they could be rated better than a Yaris and have more potential than it currently has. They also would have qualified for $1000 back from the now defunct eco rebate program. If losing 1000's of sales over the past couple of years simply because of poor gearing choices is a joke, than that's some pretty bad humour.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #158
nsmitchell

Yaris EPA Estimates are 29/35
Fit EPA Estimates are 28/35

1MPG off in the city... WOW! Not much difference there.

We all know these numbers are not real world, but it does mean they are close in MPGs.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #159
stuffy

i did read that while the new fit has more horsepower, the engine is more efficient now and gets better fuel economy than the previous generation despite having more power.
i'm not sure what technical changes were made to achieve this.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM   #160
gid

Drives: '08 Yaris sedan , '08 Liftback
less emissions too . There's days I could use a catalytic converter . Especially after fast foods . . Roll down that window !!!
Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #161
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
i did read that while the new fit has more horsepower, the engine is more efficient now and gets better fuel economy than the previous generation despite having more power.
i'm not sure what technical changes were made to achieve this.
I believe they implemented dual-VTEC (sort of like how the Corolla has dual VVTI on both intake and exhaust sides).
Old 11-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #162
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby View Post
The seats may be a subjective opinion (they feel more supportive that the seats on the Yaris...after a long drive in the Yaris I had to have a chiropracter waiting for me when I arrived at my destination!
I just drove 6826.4 kilometres, 4241.73 miles to Alaska, taking seven days. That is a lot of driving in so little time. At no point did my back hurt, and my back usually hurts. (like at work after a couple hours, or at the computer)

Obviously, your mileage may vary about the seats, but I didn't mind them at all, in my 2007 regular hatchback.
Quote:
What can I say...I am becoming a Phit Phreak!
http://fitfreak.net/

You're not very original...
Closed Thread