Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Buyer's Remorse?

Nope! Would do it again in a heartbeat.

There ARE some features the Cobalt that I traded-in had that I will miss.

XM Radio I thought I was getting XM with the Yaris, but it turns out that it is XM CAPABLE, not XM READY. I checked on the kit at the dealership, and they told me that they are hard to get and that they cost $449 PLUS labor!

DIC The "Driver Information Center" was a cool thing on the Cobalt. It gave me very accurate tire pressure readings for each tire, instant MPG, average MPG, estimated fuel range, outside temperature, and average speed.

Just giving the Cobalt its due. It was a nice little car, but I am very happy that I got the Yaris.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
SailDesign

Drives: .
<just kidding>

You'd have liked the LiftBack better!

</just kidding>

I'm glad you like the beast. I test drove the sedan bafore the hatch, and liked it. Then I drove the hatch and fell in love. Each to his own. A happy Yaris driver is what we're after, no matter which model.
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #3
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Oh, the Cobalt had automatic headlights and daytime running lights, and the radio would keep playing after the engine was turned off and the key was removed from the ignition until a door was opened.

I can live without those features, but they were kind of nice.

With the Yaris, I gained power windows, power locks, power mirrors, keyless entry, and cruise control. Those options were available on the Cobalt LT, but mine was an LS.

I absolutely love my Yaris, and even though I gave up some features, I am very, very happy that I made the trade. I'm just trying to present BOTH sides, so people don't think that I dumped the Cobalt because I didn't think it was a good car. It will make its next owner a fine car. I hope it goes to a "good home."

Tom
Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
SailDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
<snip>

With the Yaris, I gained power windows, power locks, power mirrors, keyless entry, and cruise control. Those options were available on the Cobalt LT, but mine was an LS.

I absolutely love my Yaris, and even though I gave up some features, I am very, very happy that I made the trade. I'm just trying to present BOTH sides, so people don't think that I dumped the Cobalt because I didn't think it was a good car. It will make its next owner a fine car. I hope it goes to a "good home."

Tom
With the Yaris, I gave up power windows, power locks, power mirrors, keyless entry, and cruise control. And I couldn't be happier.
I like that the Yaris can make all of us happy because some things have been left as options that many makers have simply not bothered to offer any more.
And I have to admit I looked at hte Cobalt at one time, too.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
With the Yaris, I gave up power windows, power locks, power mirrors, keyless entry, and cruise control. And I couldn't be happier.
Same here.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
evil genius

Drives: 09 Yaris S 3dr
Don't forget we all gave up a standard cabin air filter.
evil genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
SailDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil genius View Post
Don't forget we all gave up a standard cabin air filter.
Never ever had that in any previuos car, so no trouble here.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
evil genius

Drives: 09 Yaris S 3dr
Really? wow. This is the first car I've had that doesn't have one.
evil genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #9
elmo
WFO

Drives: 2008 hb
i'm with you sail, never had a car with one
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #10
toyo

Drives: toyota
I gave up power windows, really miss them :( and drivers seat sucks for me! I think I'll get a lumbar support pad to see if it helps, but I think my problem is the seat is too short and mi gas leg starts to hurt a lot after a while driving.

tried every single seat position, and no luck :(

it's the only down side for me :P oohh and also my AC takes a while to get cold, does yours?
toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Hi Tom,

You have pointed out something that I have been trying to talk to people about for years now, but I usually get nothing but blank looks in return.

For many years now GM has used bling - shiny objects, if you will - to distract consumers from their shortfalls in engineering and manufacturing areas. "Don't look at the mileage ratings... Oh, check out this XM radio!". "Don't look at our reliability ratings... Hey, check out this thing with all the pretty lights that we call a Driver Information Center!". "Don't read about our lack of consumer satisfaction... Check out these cool hubcaps and aggressive shift knob!". Etc.

While toys are nice they do not make the vehicle.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Well, Brian, I HOPE I have given up those things in favor of reliability. All I ever hear is how reliable Toyota cars and trucks are. People drive them forever and only do routine maintenance on them and put new tires on them occasionally. They never need repair. Now, I am going to find out for myself. This is my first Toyota and first Japanese car of any make or model. I have traded so often in the past that long term reliability was not much of a factor for me, but I am going to HAVE to keep this car for a long time.

My Yaris sure is a fun little car to drive. I am thrilled with it so far!

Tom
Old 04-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Some buyer's remorse in the beginning

Since I got the Yaris, I gave up having to "warm up" the engine for a few MINUTES before I could drive off in the morning, and I don't miss that at all!! But I also gave up my old car's *excellent* acceleration / response even at low speed and I DO miss that.

I traded my 22 1/2 year old Honda CRX 5 sp. MT, which I really, really loved . It had no air conditioning, no power anything ... except under the hood! I bought her used a long time ago and really enjoyed driving it, so I kept her, eventhough she was clearly showing her age, the front was held together by duct tape, etc.... Had I still been living out in the country, I probably would have kept her anyway, because she was so much fun to drive, and I got practically nothing for trading in, but parking is scarce here and a "second car" is more of a liability than anything else, so I decided it was preferable to let her go and be released from liability instead.

I had buyer's remorse for a while, probably because I really, really loved that CRX and when you're THAT attached to something, it's really hard to let go; plus, the Yaris doesn't have the CRX's "sporty feel."

But I'll be honest, the little Yaris LB is growing on me every time I drive it. I think the little Yaris is best suited for driving out in the country, on the backroads, and maybe less so in an urban environment like where I live now where you have to compete with inconsiderate drivers in much more powerful cars. Still, I'm pretty happy overall, so buyer's remorse is pretty much over by now.

Sorry about the long post.

Old 04-15-2009, 02:35 PM   #14
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
how can you compare a cavalier to a yaris???
Old 04-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyo View Post
also my AC takes a while to get cold, does yours?
+1
Old 04-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #16
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Haven't needed my A/C yet, but if it is slow to cool, I guess I will use the little trick of putting the window down, using the recirc setting on the A/C control until the car begins to cool off, and then putting the window back up.

Tom
Old 04-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #17
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
I haven't noticed the A/C being slow to cool; but I do live in Ohio, where it's cold 9 months out of the year.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #18
tomato
Super Moderator

Yeah, it's no biggy for me, my older car was Navy Blue and didn't have AC at all, so just kept windows open as needed.

The temperature inside the car was easily 20 degrees F over ambiant temperature outside, if not more. Just saying he's not alone