Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
kuessemir
New Owner, Longtime Fan

Drives: 07 LB-Red-Manual-Power package
Interior Enhancements

I really need to do a few things to improve the interior usability. The following are relatively minor projects I will perform. When I begin I will document with pictures.

1) The interior of the storage compartments are unrefined. I will line them with dark felt or fake velvet to dampen rattling sounds and increase the visual aesthetics.

2) If a relatively simple method can be procured ( for an amateaur ) I will wire lights into the storage compartments so retrieving objects at night is easier.

3) I would like the power mirror controls, dimmer switch, and storage box beneath to be illiminated.

4) More lighting, preferably in OEM style is needed in the hatch area. I would like to utilize the existing plastic covered hole in the liftback door (adjacent to the locking mechanism) to wire an OEM style downlight. A second light on the right side of the hatch would help.

5) The door handles are black plastic and sometimes I fiddle around for them as their location is not yet in my muscle memory. I want to paint them silver to make locating them easier.

I'm sure more ideas will present themselves as I live with Red on a day to day basis.

Last edited by kuessemir; 07-31-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
kuessemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
kuessemir
New Owner, Longtime Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuessemir View Post
I really need to do anfew thigs to improve the interior usability. The following are relatively minor projects I will perform. When I begin I will document with pictures.

1) The interior of the storage compartments are unrefined. I will line them with dark felt or fake velvet to dampen rattling sounds and increase the visual aesthetics.

2) If a relatively simple method can be procured ( for an amateaur ) I will wire lights into the storage compartments so retrieving objects at night easier.

3) I would like the power mirror controls, dimmer switch, and storage box beneath to be illiminated.

4) More lighting, preferably in OEM style is needed in the hatch area. I would like to utilize the existing plastic covered hole in the liftback door (adjacent to the locking mechanism) to wire an OEM style downlight. A second light on the right side of the hatch would help.

5) The door handles are black plastic and sometimes I fiddle around for them as their location is not yet in my muscle memory. I want to paint them silver to make locating them easier.

I'm sure more ideas will present themselves as I live with Red on a day to day basis.

Sorry, I didn't actually mean to start a new thread. I meant to post a reply in the interior/exterior modifications thread. I'm not good at this yet, please be patient with me:-)
Old 07-31-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
japle

Drives: Vitz S 2007 LB
Looking forward to those updates from you. I too do a lot of minor diy myself... saves a Hell lot in money and quality too....
japle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
You might want to change them to the chrome ones, as i used to fiddle around for them at first too due to their unusual location from arm's length.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #5
kuessemir
New Owner, Longtime Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
You might want to change them to the chrome ones, as i used to fiddle around for them at first too due to their unusual location from arm's length.
Thats a great idea, my only concern is cost. Where did you purchase yours? Do you remember how much they were?
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #6
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
I really need to do a few things to improve the interior usability. The following are relatively minor projects I will perform. When I begin I will document with pictures.

Instead of felt, I use those rubber mats which not only dampen the sound but will also keep things from sliding around

Quote:
2) If a relatively simple method can be procured ( for an amateaur ) I will wire lights into the storage compartments so retrieving objects at night is easier.
I use cheap, battery-powered stick-'em lights. They work great.

Quote:
Hmmmmm....that's gonna be a bit more difficult; but all you really need to do is buy some small lights and run power to them once you figure out where you're gonna mount 'em.

Quote:
See above.

Quote:
Ugh. Learn where they are, silver/chrome will look horrible in my opinion!

Quote:
Wait. Your red Yaris has black door handles?!
Old 08-02-2013, 01:46 AM   #7
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Yes, LEDs in the storage compartments and footwells are very helpful, don't get the strip lights, they dont look OEM. Get small wattage, footwells 1W white led is enough, storage compartments <1w. The leds can be installed in a t10 or t5 connector, so the led can be replaced easily, if needed install resistors. Install the connector to somewhere that can be hidden, so the LED dont show. If you get anything too bright, equals no OEM feel.
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
Thats a great idea, my only concern is cost. Where did you purchase yours? Do you remember how much they were?
I havent yet, but looking around online i saw it is at the same price range as it is here, around $30. However, one of those who changed theirs got a china replacement for about $10 each from Rockauto.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ht=door+handle
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 AM   #9
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
A place to get some LEDs that are already Resistored up and ready to go is this place. I used it to do my under cabinet lighting a while back. Most of their products aren't really meant for our uses but you may want to consider them since it is basically a plug-n-play situation. They run off of 12vdc as well.

I know it isn't a perfect solution but still a solution none the less.

http://www.elementalled.com/slim-3-b...ht-module.html