Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Michelin Harmony VS Yokohama Avid TRZ

Yeah, I still got the crap "Goodyear LS" OEM tires and will be replacing them soon. I have been puting up with them for almost a year now and I had enough of them
I want to stick to the stock size (185/60-15) and I was thinking about getting Michelin Harmonys but, they are expensive.
In fact, they are more expensive than the utra high performance tires I just got for my Celica!

So, I was looking at the "Yokohama Avid TRZ" as they get generally good reviews also and are almost half the price of the Harmonys.

I should add that I drive rather asgressively and use my yaris for commuting in all kinds of NY weather so, I need an AS tire.

I would apreceiate any feed back.

Last edited by RedRide; 05-19-2010 at 02:40 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
i've heard nothing but good about the harmonies(other than PRICE that is...). i own a set of trz's and i'm satisfied so far, but they're no 'performance' tire if that's what you truly need. they do MUCH better than the oem goodyears(which i also used to have) in all aspects, but that's not hard to do. they also have a 60k mile treadlife warranty so they should last longer too(the goodyears only last 29k before they were toast). finally, they did VERY well this past winter with lots of snow driving and no problems whatsoever!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
My Yaris rolls with Michelin Harmony and never had any issues. At 26K miles, they still look new. I'm shooting for 70K to 80K miles on this set. Ride quality is better than the stock Bridgstone RE92.

I've also researched on the Yokohama Avid TRZ. The reviews are very positive. I would purchase them if my budget won't meet the Michelin price. Subjectively, I don't like the asymmetrical tread pattern of the Avid TRZ. Another Yokohama option is the Avid TOURING-S.

Michelin is have a $70 rebate until 5/31...
http://www.michelinman.com/springsav...ign=PSNational
Old 05-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Maybe you'll have better luck finding them than I have in stock size 185/60-15, but Michelin Tire has even confirmed this size for the Harmony is on national back order indefinitely. So, I'm toying with the idea of going with the Michelin Energy A/S in 195/60-15 and see if I actually get an MPG improvement. Seriously expensive tire, but I'm hoping I get what I pay for. The Bridgestone RE92's have been a good tire to me, but their ride quality is gone and they are too expensive for what they are. I've heard good about the TRZ, but they are a heavy tire and you may lower your MPG-but this I've only read and don't have any personal experience with the TRZ
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #5
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
OK... I went to my dealer today to install the Brigestone tires (RE960 Pole position) they ordered for my Celica. They are great so far BTW. They replaced "Michelin Pilot Exalto" which were OK but, way over priced IMO

While there I saw they had the Yokohama Avid TRZ on display.

However, I asked them to order the Michelin Harmonys but, they also said they (!85/60-15) were on backorder and had no idea when they would be avalble.

Long story short.....the power of store displays.... I told them to order the Yokohamas and they will be in tomorrow.
As was already said they have to be better the the OEM Goodyear LS.

Anyway thanks for all the input. It was was a help.

BTW, out of curiosity, I just checked the weight specs on Tire Rack for both tires
Harmony = 19 lbs
Avid TRZ = 18 lbs

Last edited by RedRide; 05-20-2010 at 01:01 PM.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote