Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-01-2012, 01:17 AM   #1
razingman

Drives: 2007 ls liftback 5 door manual
Fused

Sorry for the dumb posts, last one I promise.
I just got a Kenwood KAC-7005PS amp and I have 4 gage power wires. I am wondering do I have to put a fuse between the battery and the alternator? I will only be using 700w as that is the amps rms and max 1200w.

Also its fuse raiting is 40aX2 and its Current Consumption 54 A. Does that mean that I can use a 60a fuse on it or do I need to use a 40 or 80a fuse on it from the battery to the amp itself
razingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Have to? No.

Should you? Probably, yes.

More important, secure the wire run as best as possible. Show us your run and we'll give you securing suggestions if you need them. As for fusing, make it a high quality ANL type dual post fuse mount. Keep it simple and keep it off the engine cover...that location is crappy looking. It makes it look like you're doing some backwoods oompa loompa wanna be installs and like you don't give a $hit quite honestly.

If the maximum Amperage your amplifier is going to pull is 58 Amperes, use the closest fuse to that. I wouldn't be afraid to use a 50...but that's me. On my setup, I'll never pull the maximum Amperage the amps can ask for (something like 280 Amperes).
Old 07-02-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
razingman

Drives: 2007 ls liftback 5 door manual
Okay, for right now I don't think I will but I will soon enough. I am not going to even have a sub on it for a month or so, so probably won't even use the 100x2 for the fronts. The places around me only have 60s or 120s so I will probably use the 60. Sound right?
razingman is offline   Reply With Quote