Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-12-2007, 02:42 AM   #937
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
It really appears most of the gas will be used in acceleration. So go easy on the acceleration. You can cruise when your up to speed on the highway and get probably close to 45+ miles to the gallon. But where most of the gas is used up is as I've mentioned in the acceleration to a cruising speed.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #938
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
I remember some testing results yielded a general statement that you use less gas by accelerating moderately than by accelerating very lightly.

Sure, accelerating moderately uses more gas than accelerating very lightly, but what makes it win-out in the end is THE AMOUNT OF TIME it takes to get you to your cruising speed. Overall, the amount of gas you use to get you to your cruising speed (the integral, or "the area under the consumption rate/time curve") is least if you accelerate moderately.

Besides that, you stand less chance of getting run-over by the cars behind you! O.o
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:26 PM   #939
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I hope this isn't too off topic but where i live (Minnesota) its just under $2.00 US dollars for gas! Imagine that! I thought I never ever see that again! Probably won't last long. I'm sure this will put a damper on Yaris sales...
Old 01-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #940
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000 View Post
I hope this isn't too off topic but where i live (Minnesota) its just under $2.00 US dollars for gas! Imagine that! I thought I never ever see that again! Probably won't last long. I'm sure this will put a damper on Yaris sales...

I don't think many people are running out to get "SUV's" that still only manage 15mpg...

I have no imagination.
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 08:48 PM   #941
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainzerocool View Post
I don't think many people are running out to get "SUV's" that still only manage 15mpg...
You'd be surprised, this is America, land of the house on wheels, but then again it could be just suburbia.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #942
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

agreed. you know, we americans are pretty stupid, you ever watch Jay Leno doing his Jaywalking thing on the tonight show? ah, nevermind,,, ppl all live for the moment, and at the moment, there's gas at all the pumps and enough cash in their pockets to buy some, that's all there is to it. sorry huh?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:27 PM   #943
Yaris TTE JWRC

Drives: 07 5spd red Yaris HB 1.5L 16V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X-8 View Post
agreed. you know, we americans are pretty stupid, you ever watch Jay Leno doing his Jaywalking thing on the tonight show? ah, nevermind,,, ppl all live for the moment, and at the moment, there's gas at all the pumps and enough cash in their pockets to buy some, that's all there is to it. sorry huh?
Im glad im a Chinaman, not American, but i love my American GF
Yaris TTE JWRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:41 AM   #944
mkaresh

Drives: Mazda Protege5
My site has a real-world fuel economy survey that is more detailed than most. Results so far:

Real-world fuel economy survey results

Just a couple results for the Yaris so far. Far more for most competitors, such as the Fit and Versa. But I'm just getting started. When I have plenty of results for most models, I'm going to statistically analyze the data to separate out all the variables and get clean city, highway, etc. stats.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #945
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Darn, why did I post this question in another thread?...

Why does the Corolla get the nod for best MPG?
Old 01-21-2007, 05:47 PM   #946
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Just filled up yesterday. I got 25 MPG (US) on my last tank.

This tank had absolutely no hwy driving, it was all in-town driving over a 2 week period.

Wow, Im kinda shocked at how weak that last tank was... I wonder if its largely due to cold weather and lots of snow we have recently received?

(I guess usually even with hwy driving clicks on my tanks (often 1/2 or 2/3rds of it) I'm only getting around 29-31 MPG (US) so I shouldnt really be surprised I got 25 on in-town only?)

Jem
Old 01-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #947
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
Just filled up yesterday. I got 25 MPG (US) on my last tank.

This tank had absolutely no hwy driving, it was all in-town driving over a 2 week period.

Wow, Im kinda shocked at how weak that last tank was... I wonder if its largely due to cold weather and lots of snow we have recently received?

(I guess usually even with hwy driving clicks on my tanks (often 1/2 or 2/3rds of it) I'm only getting around 29-31 MPG (US) so I shouldnt really be surprised I got 25 on in-town only?)

Jem
Your numbers are still way better than those produced with some less fuel efficient cars.
I am just curious. Do you drive short trips very often Jem?
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #948
Carvin'07
Selling all mods

Drives: '07 Bayou Blue - totally stock
I dunno, that still seems quite low to me. My last tank was 90% city, 90% pedal to the metal, winter tires. Stats below.

33.85 L
444.6 kms
7.613585245 L/100kms

8.931398417gal
277.875 miles
31.11214919 mpg (US)
Carvin'07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #949
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
Yeah, 25MPG for in town driving is low for the Yaris. Snow and bad weather will definitely hurt the MPG. You might also ensure your tire pressure is correct. And only check when tires are cold and car has not been driven in 2-3 hours.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #950
jgmulligan
I've made a post!

Drives: 2 door Hatch 07
Smile Yaris mileage

I'm getting about 37 MPG US on my Yaris 2d hatch standard transmission overall. Trip mileage has varied from 34 MPG to 40 MPG. Currently have 3,230 miles on odometer.

Jock
jgmulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:25 PM   #951
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

yo there jg, what is that, an average from 8 fill-ups? That's very good, considering the cold-starting conditions. Being in Washington state, I'm assuming you've been getting some wintertime weather lately .
Old 01-24-2007, 12:56 AM   #952
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
This site can help perform various conversions between metric and imperial/statute units, e.g. liters to gallons and kilometers to miles and vice versa:

http://www.rockymountainmoggers.com/convert.html

The section about fuel consumption is very handy.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:26 AM   #953
Ah Yum

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
My car's lifetime fuel-economy is 6.76 L / 100 km or 34.8 MPG. It's very hard to keep those figures looking somewhat decent in pure city driving. Here's my online log, in which you'll find notes on each tank.

I had another Yaris Sedan - but with the automatic - which yielded 8.01 L / 100 km or 29.3 MPG over the course of six tanks without the mindset for fuel economy. Here's the log to that car.
Ah Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 PM   #954
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by swng View Post
Your numbers are still way better than those produced with some less fuel efficient cars.
I am just curious. Do you drive short trips very often Jem?
Around town? Yes. From home to work, 5-7 mins. Out for lunch, another 5 mins there and back. Home from work.
Then maybe go out to get dinner or a movie.
So in town, yes all very short trips.

But since the summer, I've been traveling to Toronto a lot, about 200 km down the 400 or 404.

To Toronto and back will use something less than a full tank. I also speed on the 400-series highways though. My usually speed is 120km, but I'm often up around 140 or 150, which I figure is what contributes to my avg MPG (US) of about 29 on tanks that do include around 75% or more maybe highway driving.

That last tank where I got 25 MPG was purely small town driving, I'm pretty positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearturtle44 View Post
Yeah, 25MPG for in town driving is low for the Yaris. Snow and bad weather will definitely hurt the MPG. You might also ensure your tire pressure is correct. And only check when tires are cold and car has not been driven in 2-3 hours.

Kevin
I think I'll check after work to make sure my tires are still at the ideal 32 PSI I think it was. I'm sure, now that you mention it, that they've dropped, since last time I checked was approx a month or more ago, and we didnt have snow then and it was keeping around +5 - +10oC out, instead of the usual now of -20 - -5oC out.

Thx for reminding me to check my pressure w/ the temperatre/weather change.

Jem