Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Yaris View Post
Gee, nobody ever called my tow rig, "cute"......
Nice truck. Is that a 2002? Any mods for it? My brother in law has put $15,000 into his Dodge. We have a 04 CTD with no mods used to pull a 5,000 pound trailer.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
ryota
Dry Bones

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to ryota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Nice truck. Is that a 2002? Any mods for it? My brother in law has put $15,000 into his Dodge. We have a 04 CTD with no mods used to pull a 5,000 pound trailer.

have you ever tried parking that yaris in the back of that truck?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
pretty sure the manual says towing is not recommended
Old 01-31-2009, 02:21 AM   #4
twowheels

Drives: '09 Meteorite Metallic 3 dr MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquahiker View Post
But it looks like I might have to get something much smaller like this one at 450 lbs:

http://www.aliner.com/design/Xterior...did=6&sectid=5

What do you guys think?

George
It says 500 lbs on the page that I got when clicking that link. Also, you have to consider the rest of your cargo, water, etc... it'll weigh even more once it's loaded.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
The HITCH itself is rated for that much: the vehicle may NOT legally tow anything IN THE UNITED STATES do to liability reasons. If you HAVE AN ACCIDENT (and only then) will you be legally held criminally responsible for someone's death, and if not, expect to be sued for everything you own.

Judge: "Your manual specifically states that towing is NOT recommended, why did you so believe you could go against the recommendation?"

Defendant: "Because I'm a hard-headed idiot?"

As well, the uni-frame is incredibly thin, making twisting a possibility at the attachment points.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
The HITCH itself is rated for that much: the vehicle may NOT legally tow anything IN THE UNITED STATES do to liability reasons. If you HAVE AN ACCIDENT (and only then) will you be legally held criminally responsible for someone's death, and if not, expect to be sued for everything you own.

Judge: "Your manual specifically states that towing is NOT recommended, why did you so believe you could go against the recommendation?"

As well, the uni-frame is incredibly thin, making twisting a possibility at the attachment points.
Hey, I totally more-than-one-hundred-percent agree with this. X10 bro.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:

Defendant: I'm Canadian and the manual says for Canadian customers it's alright to tow up to 700 lbs!

So I guess if you kill someone while towing with a truck you'll be fine, no one will sue you for everything you own, right?
Old 01-31-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I don't know if I agree with the entire thing about upping truck sales. Its not like the Subcombact class has been anything close to popular until recently. I would THINK, it has to do more with the demographic.

Take in point: diesel. Its great. Sorta. I'd rock one. Sorta. But we haven't had a decent diesel line up. Why? Because America wouldn't buy diesel. So we don't get 'em here. Now we SORTA like them, now we SORTA get 'em.

Now towing. As far as I've seen, Beyond this forum, I've never see any need/want for towing capacity in anything close to a passenger car. Not to say the need isn't out there. But honestly, I wouldn't want people in So Cali to be towing random crap. Why? Everyone nearly everyone is a terribad driver. That extra weight would make the teeny Yaris sorta unpredictable.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
If ever I need to HAUL something, I either rent a truck, or borrow one. Really.

Our manual in Canada is rated at 70lbs tongue (which feels like nothing, literally), and a 700lbs max load. Most small trailers already eat up 100-200 pounds.

Do the math on how easy it would be to exceed the rated maximum. The Yaris is just not made to tow, from the flimsy sheet metal, to the ultra-soft suspension, to the super-short wheelbase, to the low-traction stock tires... You get the idea...

Like I said, the liability is just not worth it.

Like Mike Holmes says: "Do it right the first time." The Yaris is NOT doing it right, it's half-assing it... Like trying to build a house with a multi-tool.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
robertplattbell
I've made a post!

Drives: BMWs
Towing a travel trailer with a Yaris! Ouch!

Check out this e-Bay listing showing a Yaris towing a 2500 lb. camper. I have a similar camper and tow it with an X5.

The big problem is not only engine power, but braking ability. Even with trailer brakes, a rig like this could get away from you down a long grade.

And talk about the tail wagging the dog!

I towed a 3500 lb camper with a Toyota mini-pickup once. Talk about white knuckles driving...
robertplattbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Got Mine

Drives: 2009 5dr
I tow quite a bit.

Whether it be towing my bike to the shop or hauling lawn mowers between jobs I have had no serious issues.
Watch your weight and balance like other have previously mentioned and if at all possible stick to smooth roads, bumpy roads and heavy trailers make a very unhappy Yaris.
Attached Images

Got Mine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
fybur
fybur

Drives: 2013 Yaris L A/T Magnetic Grey
Quote:

Like Mike Holmes says: "Do it right the first time." The Yaris is NOT doing it right, it's half-assing it... Like trying to build a house with a multi-tool.
fybur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #13
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I had a 88 Toyota truck in which I over-loaded it a few times untill the rubber stops hit the frame. It was scarey to drive over 40 mph, it felt like there was no steering control.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #15
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
The US gov. also recommends no sex till you're married.....doesn't stop too many people, especially politicians.

I've towed 1,000 lbs easily...but feel 700 is a comfortable limit. I have a 4x8 tilt trailer, it's very handy with the lawn tractor etc.

In the early 90's, Buick proudly advertized 4,500 towing capacity with their Roadmasters (same as Caprices)....that seems to be 'nearly' equal tow capacity to vehicle weight.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:55 PM   #16
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
I saw a yaris with a trailer today with a snowblower going up hill I woulnd't be afraid of towing on a short distance with a trailer but on a cross canada trip might be a different story
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 PM   #17
papsman
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris HB 2009
Lightbulb

Please do not forget that car companies (as per MOST "intelligent" companies), ALWAYS give less possibilites than the REAL amount. Thus, if the Yaris is "allowed" 800 lbs towing capacity, then it CAN tow that much 99.9% SURE (not 100% sure, especially with the acceleration pedal recall!). I am logically assuming that a max weight amount is probably about 75% of the real amount. I just cannot imagine a car copany stating the "REAL" max amount, then getting sued for recommending that weight... of course they will "allow" much less than the car can actually tow!
papsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Home depot has trucks you can rent for 20 bucks, pretty sure Uhaul is about that price too - so do what you want, I'll be here laughing when you come back dragging your tranny on the ground.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote