Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
Tonavi

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
A-pillar gauge pod

I promised I've searched for hours and haven't found anything on this!

I installed an AutoMeter 3-3/8" tachometer and now want to add water temp and maybe oil temp gauges, too. I'd be doing an a-pillar pod.

Before I buy anything, I want to know how the water and oil temperature gauges are installed. The tach was easy; it plugged right into the ECU. I'd think that the water temp would be the same way since it's monitored by the computer. For the oil temp, there must be a sensor that I can tap into for a reading.

Has anyone installed a water oil temperature gauge (NOT the Scan Gauge) in their Yaris, and how did you do it?

I'd love to see pictures if possible.

Thanks YW!
Tonavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i'm pretty sure there is no oil temp sensor in the yaris..

you'll need to tap the head for that
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
couldnt you get a sandwich adapter at the oil filter?
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
whooppee777
I used to have 1700 posts

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatch
Send a message via AIM to whooppee777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonavi View Post
I promised I've searched for hours and haven't found anything on this!

I installed an AutoMeter 3-3/8" tachometer and now want to add water temp and maybe oil temp gauges, too. I'd be doing an a-pillar pod.

Before I buy anything, I want to know how the water and oil temperature gauges are installed. The tach was easy; it plugged right into the ECU. I'd think that the water temp would be the same way since it's monitored by the computer. For the oil temp, there must be a sensor that I can tap into for a reading.

Has anyone installed a water oil temperature gauge (NOT the Scan Gauge) in their Yaris, and how did you do it?

I'd love to see pictures if possible.

Thanks YW!
im sure theres a stock water temp sensor you could tap into. or u could get an adapter and cut into a coolant line and stick the adapter and the gauges sensor into that. u'll have to drain ur coolant if u do that.

y do u want oil temp?

oil pressure would be more useful. and a sandwhich plate would make this a very easy install. when u go to change ure oil before u put the new filter on u stick the sandwhich plate on and then the filter goes on the sandwhich plate. the sandwhich plate from glowshift has like 3 or 4 places to plug in a pressure sensor, oil temp sensor, and u could even add lines for an oil cooler if u wanted

whooppee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Why not just put in a scangauge or something similar .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
Tonavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NZYaris1 View Post
Why not just put in a scangauge or something similar .
They aren't as easy to read instantly and since I already have the tach, I'd like to maintain that same style. I like how much info the scangauge tells you from one port, though. Do you know if there's an alternative that's just as useful?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:10 PM   #7
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
They aren't as easy to read instantly and since I already have the tach, I'd like to maintain that same style. I like how much info the scangauge tells you from one port, though. Do you know if there's an alternative that's just as useful?
Your probably right there , and i must admit , the above pictures look bloody awsome
would love to do something similar , but as it is the wifes car and my toy ,
a comprimise is what i have to deal with ,
as in her words it's like seating in a fighter plane cock pit . to much to look at .
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by whooppee777 View Post
im sure theres a stock water temp sensor you could tap into. or u could get an adapter and cut into a coolant line and stick the adapter and the gauges sensor into that. u'll have to drain ur coolant if u do that.

y do u want oil temp?

oil pressure would be more useful. and a sandwhich plate would make this a very easy install. when u go to change ure oil before u put the new filter on u stick the sandwhich plate on and then the filter goes on the sandwhich plate. the sandwhich plate from glowshift has like 3 or 4 places to plug in a pressure sensor, oil temp sensor, and u could even add lines for an oil cooler if u wanted
if you want oil pressure, get it from the same place the stock ecu gets it.. on the front of the engine.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
jaserhunter

Drives: 2008 yaris LB
if you add the gauges will you lose your airbag?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
... and a sandwhich plate would make this a very easy install. when u go to change ure oil before u put the new filter on u stick the sandwhich plate on and then the filter goes on the sandwhich plate. the sandwhich plate from glowshift has like 3 or 4 places to plug in a pressure sensor, oil temp sensor, and u could even add lines for an oil cooler if u wanted
Ok, I'm being lazy and don't want to do my own research. Do you have a part number for the sandwich plate that fits the Yaris?
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Tonavi

I'll probably forgo the oil temp if it would be that big of a job. If it were a simple wire tap I'd do it. Instead of that I'll look at maybe doing an exhaust temp or something less intrusive.

Has anyone done a gauge pod though?
Old 02-23-2009, 06:37 PM   #12
whooppee777

Quote:
Has anyone done a gauge pod though?

u mean like this one?

Old 02-23-2009, 06:41 PM   #13
Tonavi

Quote:

u mean like this one?
Yeah that one looks nice.

I'd want oil temp because it tells you more about the engine than the water temp does. Oil pressure would be useful, too, but it would always be constant (why put in a gauge that will never move?). My next idea would be a vacuum gauge to fill the pod.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
whooppee777

Quote:
Oil pressure would be useful, too, but it would always be constant (why put in a gauge that will never move?)
uhm so when ur oil pressure goes to shit and u know when exactly it happens so that u can turn off the engine before it destroys itself.

seems like a good reason to me.

my volt gauge came in handy this weekend when my belt came off the pulleys and i saw the volts drop and i stopped the car even before the ecm knew anything had happened.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Tonavi

Quote:
uhm so when ur oil pressure goes to shit and u know when exactly it happens so that u can turn off the engine before it destroys itself.

seems like a good reason to me.

my volt gauge came in handy this weekend when my belt came off the pulleys and i saw the volts drop and i stopped the car even before the ecm knew anything had happened.
Not that oil pressure isn't useful, but as long as it's above zero (or 20), that's a good sign. I check the oil level every time I fill up, so I'd know well in advance if I am running low. Since most oil pumps work with a straw that faces down toward the oil pan (the pickup), as long as the oil is over that straw, you'll have full pressure.

Oil temp is more useful because it tells you if your car is cold or is truly overheating. For example, a Saturn (a great oil burner) would burn all its oil off, but the water temp and oil pressure gauges would remain the same. An oil temp gauge would tell you how hot your engine is running when water doesn't tell all.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #16
whooppee777

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
The oil pressure in this car varies wildly. It is not always constant. It fluctuates with the rpm of the vehicle, mine varies from 20 psi to 80 psi. Anyways here is my gauge pod.
i like urs better than mine.

yea i forgot that it does that mine moves all the time and i dont even notice anymore.

it will definitely move more than a temp gauge.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 PM   #17
Tonavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
The oil pressure in this car varies wildly. It is not always constant. It fluctuates with the rpm of the vehicle, mine varies from 20 psi to 80 psi. Anyways here is my gauge pod.
How did you wire the gauges? Did they go directly to the ECU?
Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 AM   #18
djgab101

Drives: toyota yaris
Quote:

u mean like this one?
that loooks fucking sick !!!!!!!!!!!!!!