Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2007, 05:44 PM   #19
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
I am hoping to done by the end of the month.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:50 PM   #20
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
what are you going to tune it with?

stock fuel pump? Anything to boost fuel pressure under boost? Injectors??
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:09 PM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Removing the O2 sensor throws the ECU into "limp-home" mode. In this mode, it is too busy trying to keep your car running and no longer learns/overrides the piggyback management (E-manage, for example).

It's an OK workaround, but I think there must be a better way.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #22
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
there will be a better way...eventually...but as to who is going to step up to the plate and work on it...that i do not know ;)
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #23
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
we need something from toyota, to replace the computer with... on my pt cruiser mopar stage 1 kit, replaced, and removed alot of the engine management, eg check engine lights, o2 sensor reading etc...
Old 08-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #24
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Who was the member on here who got 142 bhp by balancing the motor, porting/polishing, etc., all N/A?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 PM   #25
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
About the CEL, I would like to know with the 2 guys that have the ZPI kit why they removed the O2 sensor? Also if they tried to use a O2 simulator.

well one was spkrman but he is no longer a member and the other is turboyaris, but he doesn't come by here much often anymore. i talked with him before about this same issue and he told me that zpi just removed the front o2 sensor and tuned the car as best possible with the emanage.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:49 AM   #26
Nabisco

Drives: '08 Honda Fit Sport
Send a message via ICQ to Nabisco Send a message via AIM to Nabisco
Wide band data logers such as the Zeitronix kit has a simulated narrow band output for the ECU. This is only good when the unit is being used to data log. However I recall on some other Toyota forums there is a circuit you can build that will put a load on the o2 circuit so the ECU doesn't throw a code.

Another option: A resistor that makes the ECU think that there is an o2 sensor there, without ever varying values, so the fuel system will not ever account for unburned fuel hydrocarbons, the car may not enter closed loop mode, your fuel economy will suffer, and your catalytic converter will eventually die a premature death, possibly by slagging down and burning.

I think neither are sufficient. We need a donor ECU!
Nabisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:39 AM   #27
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
the resistor on the O2 is for the heater circuit to fool it that its heating something. Its 2 10K 10watt resistors in series I believe.
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #28
elsteverino889

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan black
Ay i just read you live in Miami? Do you go to any hangouts or what? FINALLY some miami pride in this forum!
Old 08-18-2007, 09:37 PM   #29
joey1320

the o2 sensor sends a return voltage signal to the ecu to let it know what values is reading, a resistor may not be able to help our cause.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:23 PM   #30
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
TSK , TSK , TSK . I love it when people THINK they can 1 up the engineers who designed the cars , but I hate it when they ruin a perfectly good car .

First of all the pistons , rings , rods , crankshaft and bearings will NOT hold up for long .
Secondly , what about all that heat . Remember the ECU is in the engine bay . NEXT to the exhaust manifold ................

THIRDLY and the BIGGEST mistake that damn near everybody makes , what about the OIL COOLER . You can NOT have a turbo car without an oil cooler . You will need a higher flow oil pump as well . Ask yourself , "How many turboed hondas have you seen blow up " , answer , "ALL OF THEM" b/c they forget the OIL COOLER . Don't kid yourself .

If you want a fast car , buy an EVO or STi . If you wanna make your Yaris faster , sign up for one of the many High Performance Driving Events (HPDE)around the country . Granted some HPDE's are better than others , but it is a much more sound investment of your money . Also you WILL become a better driver (which in turn will save money on insurance) and you will probably make some kool new friends .

All of my students say the same thing " Holy Shit I didn't know my car could do this ". I took my future daughter in law to the track for her first time last weekend . At first she was timid . By the end of the day the guy in the M3 was almost passed by a woman in a YARIS . Luckily for the guy in the M3 there was a very long straight , but then we would reel him right back in when we got to the twisty section .
Like my buddy says " Straight roads are for fast cars , Curvy roads are for fast drivers "
Old 08-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #31
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

True about the oil cooler. True about driving skill. NASA (HPDE events) is a terrific organization and great place to improve driving skill (I'm a member).

However, I will respectfully disagree that a stock car cannot be modified to have more safe, usable power. Done right, it is not always "ruining a perfectly good car". I dislike generalized comments like this.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #32
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
I also dislike comments like this. As much as I believe in driving skills, at some point, it's just fun to see what can be done with a small-displacement low-weight automobile. With the increase in power provided by a turbo, the Yaris will not only be able to hang with the big boys in the twisties but also in the straights. The engine management needs some work but once it's cracked, we are going to see some serious power out of this little engine. And it's going to be reliable power, and yes more power would be made with a built engine, and who cares if it's front wheel drive, and it's going to be so much fun walking a car with twice our horsepower.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:09 PM   #33
joey1320

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
TSK , TSK , TSK . I love it when people THINK they can 1 up the engineers who designed the cars , but I hate it when they ruin a perfectly good car .

First of all the pistons , rings , rods , crankshaft and bearings will NOT hold up for long .
Secondly , what about all that heat . Remember the ECU is in the engine bay . NEXT to the exhaust manifold ................

THIRDLY and the BIGGEST mistake that damn near everybody makes , what about the OIL COOLER . You can NOT have a turbo car without an oil cooler . You will need a higher flow oil pump as well . Ask yourself , "How many turboed hondas have you seen blow up " , answer , "ALL OF THEM" b/c they forget the OIL COOLER . Don't kid yourself .

If you want a fast car , buy an EVO or STi . If you wanna make your Yaris faster , sign up for one of the many High Performance Driving Events (HPDE)around the country . Granted some HPDE's are better than others , but it is a much more sound investment of your money . Also you WILL become a better driver (which in turn will save money on insurance) and you will probably make some kool new friends .

All of my students say the same thing " Holy Shit I didn't know my car could do this ". I took my future daughter in law to the track for her first time last weekend . At first she was timid . By the end of the day the guy in the M3 was almost passed by a woman in a YARIS . Luckily for the guy in the M3 there was a very long straight , but then we would reel him right back in when we got to the twisty section .
Like my buddy says " Straight roads are for fast cars , Curvy roads are for fast drivers "

i can understand where you are coming on most points but i personally know of 4 turbo Hondas runing without oil coolers and they have been daily driven for at least 3 years and with more than 45+K miles and still runing great.

and i know because i was the one who put them together for my brothers and friends. they all had pass 60k miles on the engines and are all over 100k miles as of right now and no problems at all.

Yes, people do think they can one up the engineers and usually fail miserably, but then theres times when you can make a car better by adding a small amount of power and better handling(which could had been done at the faxtory) and end up with a fun car.

oh btw i'll be using an oil cooler on my turbo build.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #34
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
I never said that you could not modify a car to have more safe , usable power . In your own words , if done right . Just that most people don't think things all the way through . They get blinded by greed of power . I also like small displacement cars . That is why I only build 4 cyl and rotary cars . One more thing to keep in mind , whatever we do to our cars , the big boys can also do to their cars ......
Old 08-19-2007, 03:32 PM   #35
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Quote:
whatever we do to our cars , the big boys can also do to their cars ......
So true.
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #36
joey1320

Quote:
I never said that you could not modify a car to have more safe , usable power . In your own words , if done right . Just that most people don't think things all the way through . They get blinded by greed of power . I also like small displacement cars . That is why I only build 4 cyl and rotary cars . One more thing to keep in mind , whatever we do to our cars , the big boys can also do to their cars ......

cool, it just sounded like you were completely putting down the idea of a turbo yaris, thats all.

so you are also into rotaries? me too. hopefully i can get my hands on a Datsun 1200 so i can swap in a 12A next couple of years. but those chassis are so hard to find in good condition...