Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #37
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
A 1200 , are you talkin about about a 510 Datsun ? send me a pic . Alot of people in these parts are not car savvy .I'll keep my eye out . Just so you know my finders fee is a Mt. Dew . Yeah I love rotaries . Such smooth power delivery . I built the car below . 10th Anny . 125 K on my rebuild and still going strong.

Oh , I'm sure you know this , but don't forget the thermostat and flapper valve for your oil cooler . It will keep your oil cooler from blowing up while the engine reaches operating temps . If you didn't know this Peterson Fluid can help you out . Also you may wanna think about an inline oil filter . It is really cool b/c I don't have to buy oil filters anymore . I just unscrew the filter , remove and rinse the metal element with solvent and then blow dry with air compressor . And the end is interchangeable so that you can add ports for oil senors(s) . See pic below. I learned this trick from those Nascar boys .

Nah a turbo Yaris is totally feasible , but not for 2.5k and be reliable

If you really wanna be impressed , go check out the new Super Duty Ford F-350 . The whole front end is nothing but coolers . There is even a turbo cooler (fluid).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9070129.jpg (91.6 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg htm shirts 008.jpg (129.9 KB, 158 views)
Old 08-19-2007, 07:51 PM   #38
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
nice rx7 man. clean car. i always liked the t2 body style.
thanks for the info on the inline oil filters, thats a neat design.

the Datsun is a 1200, at least thats the only way i have always known it to be. is not the 510, which i would like to have also, but is usually more expensive. or maybe an rx3 but man those don't ever show up for sale anywhere...

heres a pic of the 1200:
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 09:45 PM   #39
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
oh that is SWEET!

Here's my next project:

I'm sorry for jacking the thread... back on topic?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #40
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
TSK , TSK , TSK . I love it when people THINK they can 1 up the engineers who designed the cars , but I hate it when they ruin a perfectly good car .

First of all the pistons , rings , rods , crankshaft and bearings will NOT hold up for long .

Yes you are correct, all those components have stregth & durability limmitations.

Secondly , what about all that heat . Remember the ECU is in the engine bay . NEXT to the exhaust manifold ................

The kit I am designing has the compressor on the computer side.

THIRDLY and the BIGGEST mistake that damn near everybody makes , what about the OIL COOLER . You can NOT have a turbo car without an oil cooler .

Yes you can have a turbo car without an oilcooler. Is it better to have one, yes, but is it 100% needed, no.

You will need a higher flow oil pump as well.

Sorry but I have personally built numerous high hp Hondas & Supras with stock oil pumps.

Ask yourself , "How many turboed hondas have you seen blow up " , answer , "ALL OF THEM" b/c they forget the OIL COOLER.

Hondas or any car converted to forced induction blow up due to many reasons but oil cooler is not the main reason. Overboost, too much timing, not enough fuel, bad tuning just to name a few.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:03 PM   #41
nebulight
Novice Hypermiler

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Send a message via AIM to nebulight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
Ask yourself , "How many turboed hondas have you seen blow up " , answer , "ALL OF THEM" b/c they forget the OIL COOLER . Don't kid yourself .
Gee, I had a turbo honda and it didn't have an Oil Cooler, mine didn't blow up, infact it made 375whp at 11psi:

It's a slow start, but I'm shooting for 45mpg by summer. Best so far is 42.23mpg
nebulight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #42
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
http://www.tdautowerkes.com/projects.htm

Here is my shops 750hp Civic with no oil cooler
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #43
Turbo&Auto

Drives: 07
I've had quite a few turbo cars with and without the oil cooler, its DEFINATELY not a neccesity but nice to have :)
Turbo&Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 09:56 AM   #44
Trish

Drives: Yaris Sedan 07
Send a message via MSN to Trish
I'm very interested...PM me please when to final kit will be ready to sell and send me, as soon as you can, the all the spec+photos. Thank you!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 10:04 AM   #45
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
I dont think that we will have many problems with this, I dont know much of crap about turbos, but I know guys who are total turb heads...700hp Single Turbo Supras, High hp Hondas...you name it, they all seem fine, only problem is, you just dont take care of what you have created, it will get loose and eventually win the war. In other words, if you Turbo, take care of it!

If you want low upkeep, get a Supercharger.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:43 AM   #46
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Ok, we need a supercharger that does 8-11psi. Not just 5psi.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:29 PM   #47
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
Ok, we need a supercharger that does 8-11psi. Not just 5psi.
Do a blitz / Greddy xB retrofit and make a custom pulley to take the psi up.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #48
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
If this was that easy then why is everyone doing turbo??????
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #49
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Who is everybody? there are just a few doing turbos... besides the turbo is proven to produce more power. Supercharger is more for the guys that are looking for an easy bolt on an a more relaible source of power.

You can find the xB Greddy charger for $2,400 and it comes with the emange included.

The first FI Yaris in this forum was a xB Blitz retrofit. And it seems to be running fine so far. And according to the owner of that car... the custom work to have it fit was not that hard.

The problem is that it's hard to find someone wiling to spend $2.4K on a blower to see if it works.

If I could find an used greddy charger at a good price I would give it a try.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:29 AM   #50
jthebeh

Drives: 2007 Nautical Blue Yaris Sedan
I have been waiting for just this, I am over with my warranty so I want this turbo set up way bad!!! Once you get it all set up let me know CDY.
jthebeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:14 AM   #51
Tapper

Drives: 2008 Black RS 2dr
Engine management for turbo

When building a turbo kit, use the right stuff. 5 PSI even 8 PSI aint that hot. The reason that kits are usually around that pressure is that the computer connot handle what the engine is trying to do. Stock injestors will be way to small. They will work up to a point but they will not supply enough fuel, why would they? they are set up for a stock engine. You can increase the duty cycle but that is not going to solve the problem. Chip tuning is the only way to do it. Stand alone screws a whole bunch of stuff up, speedo, dash lights etc...
Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #52
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapper View Post
When building a turbo kit, use the right stuff. 5 PSI even 8 PSI aint that hot. The reason that kits are usually around that pressure is that the computer connot handle what the engine is trying to do. Stock injestors will be way to small. They will work up to a point but they will not supply enough fuel, why would they? they are set up for a stock engine. You can increase the duty cycle but that is not going to solve the problem. Chip tuning is the only way to do it. Stand alone screws a whole bunch of stuff up, speedo, dash lights etc...
You have to do some reading about the car you just bought. Ain't that simple with the Yaris
Old 09-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #53
Tapper

Drives: 2008 Black RS 2dr
Nothing is simple when changing an N/A car to a forced induction set up. I certainly dont think it would be easy to do. I dont understand, what part did I said would be simple? My car is stock and will stay that way for a while. I would like to know as much as I can about the ecu in the car so any links or info would appreciated. '
Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 04:40 PM   #54
SmallCarGuy
Desperauto's Son...

Drives: '75 Mini, '08 xB2
The ECU is a pain.... that's pretty much it... No "Chip" to do anything or reflashes for us in the Toyota World.... along with the reality that without internal work, pushing higher PSIs just doesn't make the engine happy in it's stock (ECO-Friendly) form. Plus, all the work and dyno time ain't cheap either.

Unichip has done some great things for the Scion/Toyota guys, along with the trusty emanage options, but our "Learning" ECU is a monster to deal with, and that's what makes it more of a pain. Adding the piping, turbo, injectors, etc... not hard... making our ECU like it and keep liking it... and the engine handle it... not as easy or fun.