Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you think a tow hook, stock or custom looks good on your Yaris 24/7?
Yes 16 32.00%
No 28 56.00%
I really am undecided. 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
My Tow Hook Rant

I thought i'd wait until they had 15 people in the group buy before doing this, they have 14 and are very close. I respect that people want there rides to be different then other people. Hell, everyone on this forum has car pride and loves there Yaris be it a sedan or hatch.

But, i really see no point in a tow hook, apart for towing. Let alone paying money for a custom one. To me, it does not look sexy or sporty to have a tow hook in the front of your car. We all drive a Toyota, the maker of the most reliable cars in the world. When would we ever need to have you little Yaris towed?

It's probably never going to break down. To me, having a tow hook on the front of a Yaris makes it look like it needs to be there because the car must break down all the time.

When in reality, a Yaris would be very unlikely to break down. Having a tow hook on the front of your Yaris makes your car look cheap, inferior and riddled with so many problems that you need to leave a tow hook in the front to have it towed to the garage everyday.

This is my opinion. I'm sure there are others that feel the same way I do. However before I get a barrage of abuse in reply, I do accept that it's your car and you can do what ever you want to it.

What do you think about my comments?

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:24 AM   #2
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
well i wont have this tow hook in 24/7. i do plan on tracking this car just like my other past cars and i just want a cool custom tow hook to use for that purpose. when im driving it to work or around town the tow hook will be in the glovebox or trunk or wherever it may be.

thats my $.02 :)
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:26 AM   #3
rg570lvr

Drives: '08 Yaris MM 3d Lb, auto
I agree, it kind of looks like it is often needed, like you're just beggin for people to clown your car, IMO. Sorry not trying to piss any body off. Hope I didn't.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #4
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
well i wont have this tow hook in 24/7. i do plan on tracking this car just like my other past cars and i just want a cool custom tow hook to use for that purpose. when im driving it to work or around town the tow hook will be in the glovebox or trunk or wherever it may be.

thats my $.02 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg570lvr View Post
I agree, it kind of looks like it is often needed, like you're just beggin for people to clown your car, IMO. Sorry not trying to piss any body off. Hope I didn't.

I would like to thank you both for not taking it as a personal attack. I know mike is one of the people in the group buy.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:32 AM   #5
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

well everyone is entitled to their own opinion. i dont want it out there every day either but trackwise it would serve a purpose for me and if i do ever break down im gettin hooked up in style fo sho! :)
Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 AM   #6
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
My tow hook cover actually covers what is really a candy dispenser.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #7
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

No!

Skittles!!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #8
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Sorry to thread jack, just wanted to lighten the mood incase we had some people who take this up the butt lol.. He's just voicing his opinion people!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:41 AM   #9
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
well everyone is entitled to their own opinion. i dont want it out there every day either but trackwise it would serve a purpose for me and if i do ever break down im gettin hooked up in style fo sho! :)
what purpose does it serve at the track?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:48 AM   #10
rg570lvr

Drives: '08 Yaris MM 3d Lb, auto
I'm sorry if I pissed anyone off.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:50 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
well everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Absolutely... I have mine on 24/7 and while I agree it is actually totally useless, it just goes with the visual theme I am trying to achieve with the car. I'm not kidding myself or anyone, as much as I want to race this car it has never stepped tire on an actual track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shroomster View Post
what purpose does it serve at the track?
well, to tow you off the track in case you have an accident/breakdown

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Absolutely... I have mine on 24/7 and while I agree it is actually totally useless, it just goes with the visual theme I am trying to achieve with the car. I'm not kidding myself or anyone, as much as I want to race this car it has never stepped tire on an actual track

well, to tow you off the track in case you have an accident/breakdown
bah ask and I shall receive....I need to go to sleep I can't believe I asked what purpose a tow hook serves.....hehe thanks anyways Thomas....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #13
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
I understand your point Thomas. I autocross my car and may need it to be towed off the track and out of everyone's way. It would only be used for the short tow by someone's truck. I may only put the tow hook on for track days since there are alot of other race mods on other people's cars that look cool.

Until I have any operational time, I am worried that the new "Miss Daisy" may blow up on me. For that, I have the Auto Club to tow me correctly all the way home.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 AM   #14
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
i never really thought showing off your tow hook was cool

you have a stock tow point for the track and if you track your car your last thoughts would be to need a tow off

to be honest if i seen you installing a tow hook at the track i would think you were a noob and keep my distance

its like how i feel about those damn JDM new driver badges

i just want to go ask the person if they are new to driving

but if tow hooks are your thing then cool

I find it hard to tell people what i really think about their cars, people get too bent out of shape. Its like somebody's opinion is the final word and if i dont approve then you have to make me some how approve
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:25 AM   #15
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

well in certain cases kustom you are required to have a tow hook on the vehicle when you go to a track. some places require them, some dont. nasa requires a tow hook for all of their events and in some classes a battery kill and fire extinguisher must be installed as well. even some scca track days require them if not all track days. the rules are getting tighter and tighter about them as well and the last 2 tracks i went to required them to be installed on the vehicle prior to entering the track.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:29 AM   #16
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
mikenacarato, I never knew that. Thanks.

I suppose that they have to be functional tow hooks and not just ornamental. I was worried about the hinged ones when Garm said that they may not work for real towing.

At my last autocross, one guy blew something in his engine and spewed oil all over the track. He did not get a tow, his support vehicle drove out and they pushed his car into the trailer.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:37 AM   #17
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
I find it hard to tell people what i really think about their cars, people get too bent out of shape. Its like somebody's opinion is the final word and if i dont approve then you have to make me some how approve
Well I guess we'd need a psychology degree to understand this but to a lot of guys, their car is like an extension of their personalities, it is, like the clothes you wear or your haircut, the impression that you want to give on other people so they can make up their mind about you. So, in a way, if you insult their car, you are insulting them, so they'll take it personally, I guess!! I know I can be like that sometimes

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #18
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

ya different strokes for different folks ;)