Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you think a tow hook, stock or custom looks good on your Yaris 24/7?
Yes 16 32.00%
No 28 56.00%
I really am undecided. 6 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2008, 01:50 AM   #19
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
it is, like the clothes you wear or your haircut, the impression that you want to give on other people so they can make up their mind about you.
The impression I want to give is "Mister, can you tow me home?"
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #20
mastaofdisasta

Drives: yaris
Red face

i want one of the nst ones, because if i hit someone just right, i may be able to poke a hole into someones lowered hinda civic bumper, and keep my car undamaged...still workin the physiscs out....
mastaofdisasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #21
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
I like that other tow hook Garm sells a little better than the new one, but that's just an opinion. I see them as just another accessory, something to make your car look a little better. Normal drivers would probably never need to actually USE it...

I want to get one, sooner or later, but it's at the bottom of my "mods" wish list.

It IS all opinioin, though.....and since it is a mod you can take it or leave it depending upon personal taste.

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:07 PM   #22
lita_g

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Before getting the yaris or joining this board I had never seen or heard of a tow hook before. I think they look interesting on the pics I've seen around here, although it's not something I would put on my car unless needed, but I like the stock look anyway.
lita_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #23
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
I think for most, myself included, it is a relatively inexpensive, easy cosmetic modification to further differentiate your Yaris from any other. The folding ones are almost like a piece of jewelry for the car, much like we would wear an earring, nosering or stud. Although not functionally trustworthy, the folding hook has really grown on me from this 'fashion accessory' point of view.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #24
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
well in certain cases kustom you are required to have a tow hook on the vehicle when you go to a track. some places require them, some dont. nasa requires a tow hook for all of their events and in some classes a battery kill and fire extinguisher must be installed as well. even some scca track days require them if not all track days. the rules are getting tighter and tighter about them as well and the last 2 tracks i went to required them to be installed on the vehicle prior to entering the track.

NASA, SCCA, Formula Drift, Pro-AM Drift, NOPI Drift, etc etc require use of a TOW HOOK in their rule books, especially if you are attending a national event.

While many use these cars as daily driven means of transportation, we realize that SOME do use these cars on track, and thus build certain items for these owners.

Having said all of that... everything has its own time and place, and everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions (even if and when wrong.) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Good luck and have fun with all your projects everyone.

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #25
Tiddlygoose

Drives: 2009 Honda Civic Sedan SI
The first time I ever saw a tow hook, was during the year that I owned my MINI. I am very glad that I had one. It got towed twice. After the first towing I got a second, factory one, at the dealer as MINI's have tow hook ports both front and rear. The first time the tow guy came, he hooked "j" hooks to my rear suspension and then proceeded to bend the crap out of it on the 60+ mile journey to the dealer.

I've seen a bunch of MINI's with the aftermarket tow hooks installed 24/7 and if that's their or your thing, then so be it. But then I'm a guy that doesn't believe in guys wearing earings too, so.....
Tiddlygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #26
*MAD DOG*

Drives: 2011 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Send a message via MSN to *MAD DOG*
I totally understand that for a track day people need tow hooks in case they crash or break down and need a tow. But, for the life of me can't understand why anyone would leave a tow hook on 24/7.

"Manual labour is not for me. In fact i'm not even sure non manual work is either." -Anthony Linton

Check out ▬▬► I like I like ◄▬▬ for more fun on Facebook
*MAD DOG* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #27
jclo3313
Super Moderator

Drives: Absolutely red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to jclo3313
Quote:
Originally Posted by NonStopTuning View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Or in my case the Beer holder.
Just not for me, but if thats your thing go for it.

Obama Can't Gymkhana!
jclo3313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 10:41 PM   #28
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
I thought that the port on the front bumper was for the 50 caliber machine gun!!! Now I'm gonna have to take it out.
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote