Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #1
G.Chetcuti

Drives: Yaris T3 1.3 VVT-I 2006
Car will not idle after MAF relocation

Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum as I couldn't find any help on the internet and even asking friends. I have a 2006 Yaris 1.3 and I would like to replace the airbox and air filter with a sleaker "cold air intake". My main motivation in doing so is to achieve the desired induction growl and to have a nicer engine bay (once I clean it up as it is a bit messy right now). Anyways back to the point. I have installed the intake but in order to connect the intake directly to the throttle body I had to relocate the MAF (which is usually in the air box, just above the throttle body) a bit further down the pipe away from the throttle body. Now the car will not idle and will die. It will start up but the revs will just drop and the car will stall. I do not know why as I do not think moving the MAF should affect the car's operation. The diameter of the new MAF housing is slightly larger than the original and I have tried inserting the MAF in different directions but it still doesn't make a difference. I have also tried running the car without the filter but the result is the same. Somehow the car is running rich rather than lean, as the exhaust is smelling very fouly and smells more of petrol. Could anybody perhaps know why this is the case and why it won't idle? In the meantime to keep my car running I have reinstalled the original airbox and the car runs fine so the MAF is working when in it's original condition. Should I attempt this again and disconnect the battery so that the MAF can relearn the new air flow? I really am struggling as I do not know why it will not work. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images

G.Chetcuti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cai, maf, relocation, throttle body