Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-24-2007, 01:07 PM   #37
Nutzoids

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
The reason you do not see bolt on turbocharger or supercharger kits made is because this engine cannot handle it! Seals start braking down with that much pressure in the cylinders over time. Have we learned nothing from the Scion crowd?

However, that does not mean all hope is lost for the 1NZ-FE. Don't forget this... we all have one thing and one thing only in common. We may differ in every other way, but we can all agree that as owners of this car we have some emotional investment in fuel economy. We're all sick of paying $50+ for a tank of gas, and now none of us have to! Now, what if someone busted out a solution to the power problem... a reasonably priced kit of parts to turn the 1NZ from an underpowered gas sipper into a reasonably powered occasional drinker. This may not be a supercharger or turbocharger... it may be some different internals, a different block and/or some type of engine management, or some nitrous or whatever. Whatever it takes. It all starts with a teardown of this engine and a pow-wow over the remnants. Until you've done that, you have no clue of this engine's proper solution. You're shooting in the dark.

As soon as you take the 1NZ out of the picture, this is no longer a FE-biased car. I'd rather see someone figure out how to make the 1NZ a little more powerful rather than seeing someone figure out how to bolt a 23 MPG engine into a 40 MPG car. It isn't in line with what this car is really about.

And just for the record when I said "If you have an Automatic you can't bitch about Performance" I wasn't talking about a Corvette... I was talking about when you walked up to the sales man and said "I would like my Yaris in an Automatic because I want all the Performance I can get from this 106HP beast!"

But of course you took my statement out of context... Maybe you did it so you can sleep better at night thinking that you really are "Street Racer" that your "Need for Speed" makes you feel like you have some power in your pathetic existence of a life?

I can't believe you really tried to compare a Yaris and a Corvette

Loser!

Nutzoids... Where Punk rock is less about Image, and more about the Mind!
Nutzoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #38
lostmind

Drives: 06 STi, 07 rav4, 07 yaris
hehe, you guys are too mean to the poor guy. :)

Both sides of the argument are correct... You can drive a standard transmission vehicle so much more aggressively then an auto.

But saying anyone with an auto tranny has no right to bitch about performance is a little off.

Of course, saying the aftermarket sucks for the yaris when it's only been out a year over in North America is a bit silly (and kinda rude to those companies that are pioneering new products)... it's even more silly if you've purchased an auto and _only_ care about performance modifications. I had to buy an auto because my wife drives the yaris and refuses to learn to drive stick. I was quite sad, but the monetary savings of the yaris still made so much sense I had to go ahead and give up my manual tranny...

But having an auto doesn't negate the desire for more performance. The yaris screams for just a few more ponies and a slightly stiffer suspension with a drop. Of course, I first and foremost bought this car for economy and am selling the STi because it doesn't make sense to own so many cars. But I am still keeping an eye out for some performance mods that can yield some power without a giant sacrifice in mileage.

I don't think the original poster should be written off simply because he rides in an auto. If you look at the list of mods available, he is correct in that none of them add any significant power at all.

Myself, I am just lowering my car (TRD shocks and springs) and lightweight rims (debating between 15" and 16"... I want 15" but nothing is in stock and kinda iffy putting heavier 16's on this poor car). Then I'm just going to wait for NST to put out a custom pulley set for the yaris so someone can develop a supercharger kit... then I think I'll get the power craving I desire with the handling to make it fun, without a giant loss in fuel economy.

I guess the OP just doesn't have my patience ;)
lostmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 01:46 PM   #39
Nutzoids

Look I understand the need for Automatics and I Understand not EVERYONE knows or wants to learn how to drive a Stick, I also understand that there are plenty of cars out there where the Automatic version of the car is just as good as the Stick...

I am just sick and tired of reading these post where people are just so negative all the time... the "I want more" or the "How come they won't cater to me" posts! and I just open my mouth in hopes to make these people feel just a little bit embarrassed, just to shut them up...

Most of us are here because we are true "Enthusiasts" most of us work with each other and companies to get the most out of our cars, our money, and our time... and threads like this one belittle all the hard work of the College kids, or the computer nerds, or even the accountants, that work hard, when it's not even there job, to make the Yaris the best it can be...

We have some pretty decent parts for our cars, and some pretty good options... Because of the members of THIS web site...

I just don't think post like this are not real encouraging to them!

Old 06-24-2007, 03:10 PM   #40
lostmind

Drives: 06 STi, 07 rav4, 07 yaris
I went thru the same thing when I bought my protege5. I was one of the first people to get one and there was absolutely nothing for it in terms of mods...

I paid close to $500 after shipping and duty for an AEM short ram intake and bought denso iridium plugs. That was all there was for the car. It took about two years before the aftermarket really took off for it. I'm sure it'll be the same for the yaris :)
lostmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #41
NonStopTuning

Drives: NST CARS: S13 AE86 ANT10 AW11
Very interesting thread...

NonStopTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:58 PM   #42
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
If you can add a simple bolt on and get 1-2 hp out of it, then that is GREAT
if you are not satisfied with the aftermarket parts available for our YARIS, then then let it be and tarde in your YARIS, becuase i did NOT buy this car so i can get 200hp out of it, this is plain and simple a fuckin' commuter car not a high performance vehicle, not 500hp automatic, not a civic (aftermarket heaven), and not a beast.

But believe me like with any other car there are some individuals with a Yaris with the FUNDS and the MEANS to make this a monster, because they make it happen for themselves.

If you want POWER ZPI has a Turbo kit waiting for you and it will work in your automatic, and if you do not like ZPI for some reason, get a BLITZ or GREDDY SC and with some minor mods you will have some extra ponies, and if you say anything about all these mods costing too much, what did you think horsepower was cheap? even the least amount of HP cost money.

If money is not and issue for you then, you have nothing to complain about go out and make it happen for yourself, post some picks when you are done and just sit back, while we drool!!!!!

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:20 AM   #43
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzoids View Post

And just for the record when I said "If you have an Automatic you can't bitch about Performance" I wasn't talking about a Corvette... I was talking about when you walked up to the sales man and said "I would like my Yaris in an Automatic because I want all the Performance I can get from this 106HP beast!"

But of course you took my statement out of context... Maybe you did it so you can sleep better at night thinking that you really are "Street Racer" that your "Need for Speed" makes you feel like you have some power in your pathetic existence of a life?

I can't believe you really tried to compare a Yaris and a Corvette

Loser!

names, very mature....

I never compared the yaris to any car, you posted that an automatic was not a performance oriented , I proved you wrong...and provided examples of a few automatic performance cars. obviously an econobox isn't anything like the cars I listed...

Nope not a street racer , been there done that, grown up since then, I just like owning "sleeper cars"

I personally think I am an "enthusiast", every car I've owned has been hi-powered or modded with goodies, and if this wasn't my daily driver, I would jump at the current offerings that must be tweaked to work properly, my original post was about me venting that after 1 year, we have 1 turbo charger, and 1 supercharger for a different car, wheres the TRD bolt on HP goodies, or plug and play stuff, wheres the competition??

and finally competition is what lowers prices, so if we have 3 companies making a turbo, the prices of the turbo's will go down, until then ZPI can charge a large amount...
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:27 AM   #44
punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by contraband831 View Post
If you can add a simple bolt on and get 1-2 hp out of it, then that is GREAT
if you are not satisfied with the aftermarket parts available for our YARIS, then then let it be and tarde in your YARIS, becuase i did NOT buy this car so i can get 200hp out of it, this is plain and simple a fuckin' commuter car not a high performance vehicle, not 500hp automatic, not a civic (aftermarket heaven), and not a beast.

But believe me like with any other car there are some individuals with a Yaris with the FUNDS and the MEANS to make this a monster, because they make it happen for themselves.

If you want POWER ZPI has a Turbo kit waiting for you and it will work in your automatic, and if you do not like ZPI for some reason, get a BLITZ or GREDDY SC and with some minor mods you will have some extra ponies, and if you say anything about all these mods costing too much, what did you think horsepower was cheap? even the least amount of HP cost money.

If money is not and issue for you then, you have nothing to complain about go out and make it happen for yourself, post some picks when you are done and just sit back, while we drool!!!!!
Well, regarding the ZPI, it is allot of money, and a new product, i'd rather wait to see how it works out for those brave enough to install it, the superchargers you mention are not for this car..and require engine management, fuel control etc...I was hoping after a year we would see a few more option, plug and play, ready to go...

yes HP cost's money, I think I paid $250 to add 30hp (I don't have the exact figures right now)to my pt cruiser, and others with the srt-4 are adding 140hp for aprox $2000, so a ZPI turbo at $3000 for maybe 50HP is a big difference...

and again you are correct, I had no intention of modding this car, it was bought as a commuter car, but it's nice to have some toys under the hood. it's in my blood.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #45
contraband831
El Huevo

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
Well, regarding the ZPI, it is allot of money, and a new product, i'd rather wait to see how it works out for those brave enough to install it, the superchargers you mention are not for this car..and require engine management, fuel control etc...I was hoping after a year we would see a few more option, plug and play, ready to go...

yes HP cost's money, I think I paid $250 to add 30hp (I don't have the exact figures right now)to my pt cruiser, and others with the srt-4 are adding 140hp for aprox $2000, so a ZPI turbo at $3000 for maybe 50HP is a big difference...

and again you are correct, I had no intention of modding this car, it was bought as a commuter car, but it's nice to have some toys under the hood. it's in my blood.
The SC's are not for our car, but with some modification they easily bolt right up, this is where i go back to -if you want power at this early stage of the yaris in the sates then you would have to make it for yourself-

I know one day we will have some options, but until then we can only sit and wait, if we have nothing for us in one, two years then of course we got screwed and this thread would be a legitamite, but right now it is just to early in the game to ask WHERE ARE THE PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS? and the quick answer would be THE PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS ARE BEING DEVELOPED! R&D takes time. Products need to be tested and tested again, and then maybe, just maybe, production will being, then plug and play

contraband831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #46
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
Increased supply is usually a response to increased demand, isn't it? Somebody makes an item, sells it like popcorn, and a bunch of other guys jump in with their own offerings.

Talking about what you wish was available merely indicates potential interest in a product. But for a manufacturer to produce one they must have reasonable confidence that there will be demand.

If you want to encourage competition then put your money where your mouth is. Make the competition wish they could get their hands on all the cash you are giving to the other guy!
Old 06-26-2007, 02:23 PM   #47
punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
Increased supply is usually a response to increased demand, isn't it? Somebody makes an item, sells it like popcorn, and a bunch of other guys jump in with their own offerings.

Talking about what you wish was available merely indicates potential interest in a product. But for a manufacturer to produce one they must have reasonable confidence that there will be demand.

If you want to encourage competition then put your money where your mouth is. Make the competition wish they could get their hands on all the cash you are giving to the other guy!

I understand your point BUT, to put my money where my mouth is ;would have me buying a ZPI turbo for $3000, then I wouldn't need to buy the other guys cheaper turbo when it comes out, so your theory is now only good for you.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:42 PM   #48
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
I understand your point BUT, to put my money where my mouth is ;would have me buying a ZPI turbo for $3000, then I wouldn't need to buy the other guys cheaper turbo when it comes out, so your theory is now only good for you.
Sorry, it's just that it sounds like you are looking for a solution that is only good for you!

Besides, how much cheaper is the next guy's turbo likely to be? Someone has to be the "early adopter," and since you are bored with your car and want to add some power, why not take the plunge?
Old 06-26-2007, 02:44 PM   #49
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
We've got plenty of demand for $100 parts. Up that total to $300 and the demand fizzles. If you guys are honestly wondering why companies are reluctant to put together $2500+ power options for us, you aren't paying attention. Its OK because in the end nobody would buy them anyway... maybe Nutzoids and thats it!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 02:52 PM   #50
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I think people that are going to lay down that kind of money would just buy a volkswagen. ah, whatever

Old 06-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #51
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
We've got plenty of demand for $100 parts. Up that total to $300 and the demand fizzles. If you guys are honestly wondering why companies are reluctant to put together $2500+ power options for us, you aren't paying attention. Its OK because in the end nobody would buy them anyway... maybe Nutzoids and thats it!
word!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:34 PM   #52
Nutzoids

Quote:
It depends on what I would get for my $2500!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:09 PM   #53
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Where are the performace items??

There all over the place man!!!!!!!

Don't you see them!!!!????????

There all out there for performace cars!!!!!!

Not our econobox!!!!!!!!
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:30 PM   #54
YarisGuy

Drives: 2006 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post

I love you!