Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-14-2012, 02:54 PM   #55
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
^ there is a recent thread here discussing the age old question of any benefit to using premium. In that thread, another tangent developed which discussed effects of ethanol on mpg.

The forgone conclusion is that ethanol does not have a negative effect. I had the opportunity last summer to run ethanol free gas while on vacation. My own mpg calculations showed zero difference.
where is that thread and any scientific backup?

this is from a government website about reduced mpg with ethanol:
http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=27&t=4
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #56
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
+1 ^^^

Ethanol gives out less energy than gas equating to less power thus less mileage. I dont know why u didnt notice a difference other than the possibilty that u just stay idle on ur car so it only drives the aircon.

Seriously man, im not kidding.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #57
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
I have noted a 20% decrease in fuel economy for my Yaris since the start of "colder weather". I don't expect to see this decrease change until the end of the winter weather. Hopefully in spring I will get back to my normal mileage. Btw .. I was experiencing about 650 km per tank in the summer time and now it is about 520 km during the colder weather, so similar to the mileage decrease noted by the OP.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #58
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcboy View Post
I dont know why u didnt notice a difference other than the possibilty that u just stay idle on ur car so it only drives the aircon.

Seriously man, im not kidding.
I was ecstatic with the thoughts of running ethanol free gas. Expected clearly visible, near earth shattering improvements. Not.

All I can say is, with my mpg logged with each and every one of 297 consecutive fill-ups since I took ownership of my car, the instances where ethanol free were used did not differ from fuel with ethanol added.

Power should only be 'necessary' during take-off and hill climbing. Once the vehicle is rolling, you essentially only need enough to maintain momentum. At this point, the lower power in ethanol gas would be negligable in its impact on f/e.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #59
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
Quote:
I was ecstatic with the thoughts of running ethanol free gas. Expected clearly visible, near earth shattering improvements. Not.

All I can say is, with my mpg logged with each and every one of 297 consecutive fill-ups since I took ownership of my car, the instances where ethanol free were used did not differ from fuel with ethanol added.
This doesn't apply to everyone
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #60
edmscan

Quote:

I also tried Ethanol free gas in my Yaris. The conclusion .. there was NO difference in fuel economy detected. The only place I noticed a difference was my wallet as it was more expensive.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #61
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I have noted a 20% decrease in fuel economy for my Yaris since the start of "colder weather". I don't expect to see this decrease change until the end of the winter weather. Hopefully in spring I will get back to my normal mileage. Btw .. I was experiencing about 650 km per tank in the summer time and now it is about 520 km during the colder weather, so similar to the mileage decrease noted by the OP.
I've also seen an approximately 20% drop in fuel economy in the past month or so. My last car (Corolla) had a similar reduction in cold weather.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #62
allyart

Drives: Yaris Hatchback E A/T 2011
in my place (jakarta,indonesia) getting a 12km for 1litre is very good, considering the traffic jam around here
Old 12-17-2012, 10:17 PM   #63
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Power should only be 'necessary' during take-off and hill climbing. Once the vehicle is rolling, you essentially only need enough to maintain momentum. At this point, the lower power in ethanol gas would be negligable in its impact on f/e.
That's not the way it works.

When ethanol is substituted into the fuel, it reduces the amount of energy in the fuel - so there's less energy in the fuel.
That translates into less energy per unit volume in the fuel and less overall energy in the entire tank of gas.
You *should* see a difference in gas consumption.

I know I drop down from ~500km per tank (40L fillup) to ~450km per tank once winter fuel starts getting supplied at the pumps.
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #64
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
^x2

Though my millage is higher per tank, the drop is about the same. 650-700 in the summer and 550-650 in the winter. It really depends on how many short trips I make and the temp.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #65
edmscan

My last 2 fill ups (partial fill ups) have been about 7.3 L/100 KM or 32 US MPG as compared to 40 US MPG during the summer time. So .. there seems to be some consistency here. It is 100% city driving with no highway driving.

Looks like my fuelly is sure taking a hit during the winter time.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:44 PM   #66
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
My last 2 fill ups (partial fill ups) have been about 7.3 L/100 KM or 32 US MPG as compared to 40 US MPG during the summer time. So .. there seems to be some consistency here. It is 100% city driving with no highway driving.

Looks like my fuelly is sure taking a hit during the winter time.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. My MPG dropped quite a bit and when I switched my snow tires from the very very heavy generic steelies to a set of toyota steelies that were about half the weight. My last tank was only 30 mpg!

Now it's sitting at about 33.5mpg on this tank according to the scan gauge.