Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
BensVitz

Drives: 2001 Mazda P/U
How about higher speeds?

I'm curious how the Yaris drives at higher speeds. I live about 20 miles from work and I rarely ever have to deal with any traffic on the expressway due to my odd hours, so my highway speeds are a little higher than most... usu around 75-80 mph. Does the Yaris have any passing power at 70-80 mph? I know the top speed is governed around 113, but that doesn't tell me much.

I'm coming from a 4-cyl p/u with a top speed of about 95mph and very little passing power. Also, how's fuel economy at 80mph? BTW, I'm changing the color I plan on ordering to either Meteorite Metallic or Bayou Blue.

Thanx for the help
Ben
BensVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:53 AM   #2
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
As I have mentioned in other page. I had my Yaris running at 160 km/h or so few times. Of course you shouldn't do that too often.
1 - it's dangerous
2 - if you keep hacking at it for the engine to work so hard, it's not good.
But I found it really stable and quiet at 140 km/h +.
If somebody would kindly do the math for convert km/h to mph would be nice. I am not use to using mph.

I know it sounds silly but when I used to drive my friend's civics(02 coupe) I can feel it flying roughly around 130 +. Maybe just me, but I felt fine on the Yaris.

As for fuel economy. It won't do any better onces you over 110 km/h I suppose.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:00 AM   #3
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
the yaris amazingly has some great get up and go at 75-80 mph, i was really surprised at how quickly it accelerates at those speeds,

(the fastest i have gone is just over 80 mph, so i can't comment on much above that)
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
ziv, 140 = 87 mph
130= 80mph
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:18 AM   #5
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
The car has MORE zip than I expected. Passing, hills, etc. are no problem if you do not mind downshifting. If you are cruising in top gear, and put the pedal to the floor, things are NOT going to happen very quickly unless you do.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Well, I got a ticket in my Yaris going 74 (in a 55), so I know it's possible. ;)
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
okay player

Drives: n/a
that's crazy. i was afraid of some lack of speed if i went from a RSX to a yaris, but i know the yaris is ~500+lbs and 60hp less than my car.
okay player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy
ziv, 140 = 87 mph
130= 80mph
ahh.. Thanx. So there you go.
@ 87 mph, I don't found it shakey or flying. Of courze it will be louder than usual, but to be honest i found it better than the 02civic or neon(another small car I drove before, from my friend).
Old 05-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #9
Snake

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Snake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
ahh.. Thanx. So there you go.
@ 87 mph, I don't found it shakey or flying. Of courze it will be louder than usual, but to be honest i found it better than the 02civic or neon(another small car I drove before, from my friend).
I hit about 95 yesterday car felt fine, not sure about over 100 yet
cars a few days old, ill let u know in a week or two
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
I hit about 95 yesterday car felt fine, not sure about over 100 yet
cars a few days old, ill let u know in a week or two
buddy, I know the car now-a-day is different, but I am an old fashion kinda guy. For the first 2000 km, I wouldn't even run over 2500 rpm or 100 km/h for that matter. sorry, I am really bad at convert to mph... So I would suggest not to gun it too much until after 2~3000 clicks. I have roughly about 7000km on mine now.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:04 PM   #11
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I'd agree.

Nothing wrong with taking time to break it in. No reason to hit 100mph. Heck, no real reason to run it over the speed limits period.

But at least not until it is broken in.
Old 05-04-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
ubetiam
"oh what a feeling"

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS (B) - 3dr
Send a message via MSN to ubetiam
I live in Calgary Alberta and last week I drove into the Mountains for the day. On the way back from Banff, I got the car up to 160km/hr (100 miles/hr) and the car is obviously governed. At that speed, it rattled and shook making the ride not only uncomfortable but unnerving. Suffice to say, I reduced my speed shortly after reaching 160km/hr. It rode best at 140km (87 miles/hr). Between 120 and 140, the car had adequate passing power. Overall, I am extremely pleased with my Yaris - had it for 3 weeks now.
ubetiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
Snake

dont worry guys, I know what I'm doing
I've broken in many motors in my day, I do it a little differently
actually read a lot about proper engine breaking procedures
but then again, Ive been racing cars for years and sometimes the things we do is not the proper way
Old 05-04-2006, 11:05 PM   #14
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
My liftback with manual transmission seems to hit a sweet spot at 80 miles an hour. Just likes to glide at that speed. But I'm trying to be careful in the break in period. And don't want to push it for the first 1,000 miles.. My yaris liftback has alot more get up and go than I could have dreamed of. Can hardly wait to be able to take a long trip in it. Have to work now. So long trips are off for a while.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:33 AM   #15
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Yeah, actually long trip is great. For I am one of those who like to drive long trip ( I know a lota people who doesn't like it). The front seat is very comfortable for me. But I might have mentioned before, I have got feedback from my family members that the back seat is a lil hard if sitting for 'bout 2~3 hours or so.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:36 PM   #16
Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Yeah, actually long trip is great. For I am one of those who like to drive long trip ( I know a lota people who doesn't like it). The front seat is very comfortable for me. But I might have mentioned before, I have got feedback from my family members that the back seat is a lil hard if sitting for 'bout 2~3 hours or so.
taking it to montreal this weekend
6.5 hrs each way so I guess by monday we can top it out and see what this thing has
hopefully she goes good on the trip
Old 05-06-2006, 04:40 AM   #17
El Jefe

Drives: 07 yaris s sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
dont worry guys, I know what I'm doing
I've broken in many motors in my day, I do it a little differently
actually read a lot about proper engine breaking procedures
but then again, Ive been racing cars for years and sometimes the things we do is not the proper way
exactly! break it in the way it's gonna be driven!! even tho this is my econo car i still drive the piss out of it, so break in will be no different, cept maybe lay off the full throttle power shifts untill i get a few miles on it
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:08 AM   #18
Macel

Drives: Yaris 5spd Sedan

I test drove a 5spd sedan (automatic) yesterday... I had to exercise the acceleration to get onto the highway...

Im sure I will enjoy the standard more, I really had to have a lead foot to get the yaris to down shift to a gear that it would accelerate as fast as I needed. Once it did down shift, the accel was quite impressive for a 1.5 litre engine... But yeah, the engine really had to crank up the RPMs to get going. I got it up to 70-75mph no problem, no shake in the steering wheel either (unlike my '01 tiburon).

Honestly though, if you drive this thing faster than 70-75, you're defeating the main purpose of this car, which is to save money on gas!

I did a little math to determine the power to weight ratio of the car (it's a more accurate measure of acceleration than just looking at the horsepower)..

The yaris 1.5 litre 106hp comes in at about .46
For comparison, my 140hp '01 tiburon came in at .53

So if the tib had around 8 second 0-60mph time, the yaris would have around a 9 second 0-60.
Macel is offline   Reply With Quote