Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
AOE Tigertec Spring install review

The review will get longer as I spend more time with the springs and once they settle in. So far I finished it last night so could only take it for a few miles to drive and I must say that it's alot different then stock. The car I wouldn't say has a "heavy" feel to it but more so "Planted". I can say that with the springs and tokicos that it feels very smooth as compared to the seawave feeling of stock, but you really do feel alot of the small bumps and the waves in the road that you normally wouldn't even see with the eye. So far that's kind of my only gripe is the feeling alot more of the dips and bumps but that's part of the game. Also I think the springs give a very comfortable ride so far, they feel stiff yet they are a nice, smooth ride.

I havn't been able to take it out yet to give it hell in the corners but I will once I give them a little bit more time to settle in. That and I'm not going to push a car with serious changes like springs and shocks, you never go balls out with something your unfamiliar with. So far, the gap pretty much all the way around is 3 fingers from the tire to wheelwell edge (pointer, middle finger and ring). It's a pretty tasteful drop so far, little bit lower but it's not slammed.

I do have a few questions though, I've never drivin a car with lowering springs and shocks so perhaps someone can help me out...

The car seems a little bit twitchier in handling, kind of like that famous Yaris trait that you let off the steering wheel and the car drives straight, but you barely pull the steering wheel to either side and the thing moves with ease. Normal?

I'm noticing some increased road noise from the rear area (liftback model). Normal?

The car seems to drive straight without pulling to either side, would that mean my alignment is still decent without too much killing on the tires? I'll be getting an alignment anyways in a week or so but just asking as of now.

One other question is with a normal alignment, does lowering the car affect tire wear at all? I can't imagine with normal driving (not hauling butt around corners, etc), that the tires would wear out any quicker then non-lowered ones.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:17 PM   #2
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
once you take it out and the springs settle hopefully that 3 finger gap will decrease. ive had mine for a while now and still haven't done a alignment since being told the specs weren't that bad .

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #3
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
nice. another springs option ....give us some picture please :D
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #4
detroiter

I'll be honest. I might be pulling these new shocks and springs off of the car and put them up for sale. They really are a bit stiff for me. I'll finish out reviewing them and they definately are VERY nice, but I guess I miss my old factory feel :(

Would anyone be interested in a new set of tokicos and the springs? I feel bummed because i just got them on and was looking forwards to it but again, it's just a bit stiff for me and I've been thinking about things like winters here in MI, etc. Just PM if you have any interest.

I'll have the pics up soon here and all I can say so far about the springs is that they definately make the car go like a go-kart! The car handle phenominal and looks great!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
Pics before you take them off? Also, what do you plan on getting next? Nf210....
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
detroiter

Nope, going back to stock springs and stock shocks. I'll just keep my TRD rear sway bar on and call it a day. And yes, the pics are already taken of the car. Just have to upload them. So be on the look out in the FS section for practically brand new Tokico shocks and the springs as well. These springs are performing awesome and I was taking some corners with some serious speed, held up like a champion around the corners! i'm sure someone on the forum would love to get this shock/spring set for a great price when I get them off :)
Old 05-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #7
detroiter

Here's a few pics of during the install and pictures of the drop afterwards. Very nice and clean drop in my opinon.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #8
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
pm sent
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:27 PM   #9
detroiter

I spent some more time today with them (day 2) and they definately feel much better then the first day. They feel like they are starting to seat in a little bit much less of that "new bounce" type feeling and now more of a solid, planted "lets rock and roll" type of feel. I pushed them a bit harder today and anything I threw at the springs, they took it like a champion. Took a wierd corner that's near my house that is like a 270 degree turn and floored it around it, the springs pretty much just asked "is that it?".
The more the springs are settling it, it seems the better they get. If anyones looking for a good solid spring with a good spring rate that borders on comfort and stiff enough to throw around, I really would tell them to consider these AOE Tigertecs.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
vten

Drives: red bare bone yaris hb 3dr
I can take it off your hand if the price is right ....let me know dwitan at yahoo dot com is my email addy .
vten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:57 AM   #11
detroiter

Day 3:

The springs today definately felt a little bit more broken in and did not show alot of the first days "bounce" characteristics. I'd say now they feel a good amount stiffer then soft, I'm guessing it's just part of the spring break in that they would feel soft and bouncy for a while until they've had some settling time. I would really, really recommend these springs to anyone that's looking for a nice stiffer spring that still rides decently smooth and all. Don't get me wrong, it's definately no stock Yaris ride quality but it's not terrible. You definately do feel hard bumps but other then that, it's not unbearable. Depending on if your looking for comfort vs function, if you take function...definately go with these AOE's. I tried pushing the car a little bit harder today since I've been taking a little time to get used to how the car would react and drive. All I can say is whatever I wanted the car to do, the thing definitley did it. Even in an empty parking lot, I got up some decent speed and tried jerking the steering wheel left and right. The car never once felt out of control and it kept it's path with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Seriously a fullsized street legal go-kart.

I think it's safe to assume that if someone's going the "performance spring" route, they already know the tradeoff for doing so. I can say the car looks amazing as well, I'll try to get a few more pics tomorrow since it seems like the springs are settling in a bit better. Hopefully Garm will get a few of these in stock so others can enjoy a nice stiffer spring if that's what they are looking for.

Also one other thing was I tried to see how the springs would hold up with someone sitting in the trunk area on the edge (would imagine it would sag even more then if they sat in the rear seat area) and the rear barely dropped. I think it would be possible with a full car load, on OEM rim/tire size, that you could drive around and not worry about rubbing issues.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:18 AM   #12
Pitt Yaris

Drives: Flint Mica Sedan
You might end up liking them if you let them settle/break in enough.
Pitt Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #13
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Keep them for a while before you really judge them. Once you get the alignment done give the car a week or so before you pull em. Also, see if you can get the car aligned with you sitting in the drivers seat. It'll get it that much closer to being setup perfectly for you.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:28 AM   #14
detroiter

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be sure to give them a little bit more time. It seems like they are getting a bit better each day so I'm sure they just need some break-in time.

I'll try to get that alignment done with me in the seat if they will let me.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
When you get an extraordinary deal on a product to test it, you should always offer it back to the "sponsor" first if you decide you don't want it.

I'm glad you like them, looks like the drop they advertise to me.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #16
detroiter

They are definately starting to grow on me, I believe it's just they need time to settle in. And I meant no disrespect on the offering them back part. Of course that would be the first thought to do before anything else. I would say that you should definately get some more of these in stock, I believe others would be very happy with these springs if they had the chance to purchase them.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #17
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
The car seems a little bit twitchier in handling, kind of like that famous Yaris trait that you let off the steering wheel and the car drives straight, but you barely pull the steering wheel to either side and the thing moves with ease. Normal?
With my TRD's the car is difinaely twichier, I pefer te term resposive, you can let of the steering whel ever. Not sue the understeer is any better.

Last edited by regal; 05-25-2009 at 01:29 PM.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #18
detroiter

I can let off my steering wheel and it won't pull to either side, I'm guessing the alignment is probably still fine with my car even though I put the springs and shocks on. I'm still going to get an alignment here by the end of the week or beginning of next week. And your right, the term "responsive" is a much more accurate choice of word to use.