Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2008, 02:38 AM   #1
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Exclamation Bomz Ebay Intake - Partial Review

story:
tonight i attempted to install a bomz ebay intake. i previously had a simota CAI which i converted to a short-ram since i couldn't fit the elbow to bend it down without squishing it which i felt would restrict airflow. Apparently cold air intakes only fit the hatchback and not the sedan. This bomz cold air intake was no different.

fitment:
looks like it fits the exact same way any single pipe brand name cold air intake fits, AEM, Fujita, Injen etc.. except it looks like it has weird extra brackets weld to it maybe to hook on to other brackets, or places you can tie strap wires to? or maybe different yaris models or other scion products that use the same motor have stuff like barometric sensors that might go on here. I don't know. I couldn't install this intake into my car because it looks like the sedan is a bit different than the hatchback as far as i can tell.

quality:
the intake itself looks like the same thick sturdy aluminum most intakes are made from. same quality as the Simota i had, probably just as good as the AEM products i've used in the past. welds look good, bends look smooth.

filter:
element looks like K&N material, but is blue.. and the shape is like an apexi with the top of the filter having a inward facing section to suck air in from all sides. I ended up putting this filter on my simota intake and now i have a CEL. I didn't disconnect the battery, so i'm not sure what the story is, but if i had to guess i'm thinking this filter causes more turbulence, and since my intake is so short it causes a CEL.

bottom line: a cheap alternative to any other CAI that again only fits the hatchback and not the sedan. weird unncessary brackets welded onto it, but no biggie. since i wasnt able to fit it for the same reason i couldn't fit my simota CAI, i can't guarantee fitment, performance, sound, etc. I can just tell people that the pipe looks good.

picture:

Last edited by Split; 11-18-2008 at 02:38 AM. Reason: edit: to include picture
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:40 AM   #2
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Summary: It's a piece of crap.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:42 AM   #3
Split

^ did you buy one too?

oh i forgot to mention that I just realized that the top bracket is important for secure something by the breather hose, but i don't know what the other brackets are for. they might actually be important, i just didn't spend enough time looking at them since with the filter on, i could tell right away it wouldn't fit my car.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:45 AM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Nope... just deductive reasoning. Extra brackets? C'mon. Besides, I thought intakes were one of the few things that are supposed to fit both cars.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:55 AM   #5
Split

i think the area behind the passenger headlight is a bit different. I don't have space there to run a pipe down. Maybe its just because i have so much HID wiring crammed back there, but i don't see a hole to run down there. Those extra brackets are probably there for a reason. maybe they use the same intake in the xA, or in other motors like 1.3L.. i dunno
Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 AM   #6
ChinoCharles
Banned

Might be your wiring. Yours is also an '08. So many little tiny quirks, you know?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
Split

i'll take a better look at it tonight. it looks like this intake doesn't even go down on that side like the injen does.. i haven't seen any good pictures of other cold air intakes.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 PM   #8
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
My simota CAI fits on my sedan....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0216.jpg (67.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0218.jpg (72.9 KB, 188 views)

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #9
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Any pics of it actually installed (in terms of anyone withthis system installed on their car in general)?

Thought about it a while ago but ended up getting the AFE.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com

Last edited by Treyz; 11-19-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #10
thewifesyaris

Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
Trd has separate brackets to fit both the sedan and the hatch, which this was most likely a copy of. well, at least the aem.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #11
thewifesyaris

Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
besides if any one asks just say you have an aem and you ripped the sticker off and replaced the filter
Old 11-19-2008, 02:12 AM   #12
Split

hrm.. that's interesting that the Simota CAI fit that sedan. Maybe if i made some room in that spot by moving wires around i could do it too. Maybe i didn't force all the couplers on hard enough because the rubber elbow bend on the far right by the driver-side-headlight was being compressed and bent when I did it.