Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Are There Any More Good Cheap Cars?

Gas is below $2 a gallon. (why make small cars?) The Honda Fit is rated only average by Consumer Reports for reliability. Yarii are being made in France/made from Mazdas.

Is this the end of the world as foretold in the Bible/the Incas/Rasputin?
Old 03-10-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Gas is not under $2 everywhere. Yarii are not Mazda's. Perhaps you're thinking of some new Toyota's (nee Scion)?
Old 03-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
The Yaris won't be a rebadged Mazda2 Hatchback until 2017 model year - though the Yaris sedan (Scion iA in USA) in Canada is already a rebadged Mazda2 Sedan as of 2016 model year.

Even if gas is cheap (for now), I still enjoy paying the minimum absolute possible for it, regardless. I would rather spend the extra money, saved on gas, for something else.

The only problem I have found with my France-built 2015 Yaris SE was improperly installed little plastic air/dam pieces on the underside of front bumper edge areas, in front of the wheels/tires. The local dealership quickly remedied the problem, and installed them correctly. The only vibration/sound in the body during operation is along top of front doors/upper pillar areas (mainly on driver's side), on rough/choppy roads (which can be pretty harsh riding sometimes in the stiffer SE version at least). I'm going to get dealership to check out what can be done to dampen that on my next service visit. Other than that, my car is an absolute little GEM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #4
Deathegg

^^ Is it CONFIRMED that the next Yaris will be a rebadged Mazda2? Or is this just conjecture?
Old 03-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #5
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Is this the end of the world as foretold in the Bible/the Incas/Rasputin?
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #6
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
If you're following the gospel of Consumer Reports, that might be your first problem.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:19 AM   #7
bronsin

Reliability always gets my attention.

The investigation goes on...
Old 03-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
^^ Is it CONFIRMED that the next Yaris will be a rebadged Mazda2? Or is this just conjecture?
See http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...yota-yaris-too

It will be made in Mexico and not Japan :-(

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #9
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
See http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...yota-yaris-too

It will be made in Mexico and not Japan :-(

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk
If the Scion iA (the Mazda2 Sedan rebadged) is any indication, the front design of the 2017 Yaris (the Mazda2 Hatchback rebadged) will be a huge aesthetic step-down from the OEM Mazda2 styling.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Here's a nice cheap car... only available in Canada, eh?

Yikes, just $9988 for a base Nissan Micra S... Canadian dollars! Do you realize how cheap that is?

Here's what you get:
5-speed manual transmission (4-speed automatic available)
60/40 Split fold-down rear seats
AM/FM/CD audio system with auxiliary audio input jack http://www.nissan.ca/en/cars/micra/v....JDqxmC4Z.dpuf
Attached Images

kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Here's a nice cheap car... only available in Canada, eh?

Yikes, just $9988 for a base Nissan Micra S... Canadian dollars! Do you realize how cheap that is?

Here's what you get:
5-speed manual transmission (4-speed automatic available)
60/40 Split fold-down rear seats
AM/FM/CD audio system with auxiliary audio input jack http://www.nissan.ca/en/cars/micra/v....JDqxmC4Z.dpuf
Wow, you even get an audio input jack in the price! Reviews say the Micra is noisy on highways, but I guess you can't complain at that price level.

Personally, I'm very happy with my 2006 Yaris RS, which cost me only $4000 with 135k km (85k miles) on the clock. Why would anyone buy a brand new car?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #12
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
Wow, you even get an audio input jack in the price! Reviews say the Micra is noisy on highways, but I guess you can't complain at that price level.

Personally, I'm very happy with my 2006 Yaris RS, which cost me only $4000 with 135k km (85k miles) on the clock. Why would anyone buy a brand new car?

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Why indeed!
Old 03-11-2016, 06:57 PM   #13
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
If you're looking for a cheap, decent brand new car right now, look at the leftover 2015s Mitsubishi Mirages. Substantially under ten grand American right now.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 07:35 PM   #14
Deathegg

The article states that the underpinnings will be the basis for the new Yaris, which leads me to believe that the Yaris won't be a re-badged Mazda, but rather will use the platform (the most expensive part of a car to engineer). Perhaps not though. As long as it doesn't get the fugly Scion nose treatment, it may be worth a look. Makes me mad that Mazda has chosen not to bring the 2 to the states. If they marketed it as a 'premium' compact, ala Mini Cooper, they could make a go of it.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #15
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
The Yaris won't be a rebadged Mazda2 Hatchback until 2017 model year - though the Yaris sedan (Scion iA in USA) in Canada is already a rebadged Mazda2 Sedan as of 2016 model year.

Even if gas is cheap (for now), I still enjoy paying the minimum absolute possible for it, regardless. I would rather spend the extra money, saved on gas, for something else.

The only problem I have found with my France-built 2015 Yaris SE was improperly installed little plastic air/dam pieces on the underside of front bumper edge areas, in front of the wheels/tires. The local dealership quickly remedied the problem, and installed them correctly. The only vibration/sound in the body during operation is along top of front doors/upper pillar areas (mainly on driver's side), on rough/choppy roads (which can be pretty harsh riding sometimes in the stiffer SE version at least). I'm going to get dealership to check out what can be done to dampen that on my next service visit. Other than that, my car is an absolute little GEM.
I have that same sound from the same area you are discussing on my 15 SE. Weird. It comes n goes.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:13 PM   #16
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
I think Consumer Reports rated the Nissan Versa hatchback as being decent with better reliability than the Fit. Honda quality is on the decline. They just stopped all sales of the new turbo engine in certain Civic models due to fires and destruction of the engine. Not good at all.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #17
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
gee, why are they doing this? there is nothing wrong with Mazda2 (a friend raves about his), but can't they just slightly face-lift the existing yaris and just keep making it? it's probably one of the most reliable car on the planet. are they losing money on this?
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:31 PM   #18
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
There's been so much talk of the Mazda2/Yaris thing, but who knows nowadays?

With Scion's departure, I believe the iA will become the Yaris and be offered only a a sedan. Just a hunch.

I don't know if the USDM/CDM will get a Yaris hatch replacement; maybe just the iA?
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote