Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2014, 04:30 AM   #1
abstractmethod

Drives: Toyota Echo
Hi there... oil/water feed

Hi Guys,
I'm new to this forum, but not to motoring DIY, so just wanted to say hi.

Over the last few weeks i've been looking at the 1NZ-FE block, its got a great build and has the trusted Toyota quality.

One thing i'm keen to know / learn is an effective way to tap into the block for supply and return of water and oil. Ive tried searching around on the internet to find a few posts but nothing stands out, the walk through installation guide from zage leaves key elements out.

Any help and photos would be greatly appreciated.
abstractmethod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:44 AM   #2
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Coolant lines can be tapped from the heater core lines, and oil feed from under the intake manifold where the oil pressure sensor it. Just need a T fitting. Return for the oil will need to be tapped into the bottom of the block just above the oil pan.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
abstractmethod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Coolant lines can be tapped from the heater core lines, and oil feed from under the intake manifold where the oil pressure sensor it. Just need a T fitting. Return for the oil will need to be tapped into the bottom of the block just above the oil pan.
Thanks very much for your help, would you know what size pitch / thread the oil sensor is?

I see alot of people tapping the block instead of using an oil pan, i guess due to oil loss?

There is also a coolant feed halfway down the block on the exhaust side of the engine, has any one used this for a coolant feed before?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Pretty sure it's just 1/8th NPT. Just take the sensor out and double check.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
abstractmethod

Quote:
Pretty sure it's just 1/8th NPT. Just take the sensor out and double check.
Cheers
Old 02-21-2014, 06:45 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
what are you trying to install or accomplish just to be sure?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
abstractmethod

Im just researching the options of oil and water feeds from the block to the turbo.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
BondXII

Drives: 09 Yaris, 08 X-Runner
That water feed you speak on the back of the block (exhaust side) is a drain. It is also a metric size thread. I was going to use this for my water temp sensor but doesn't work. It the same "size" but not the right thread. I'm guessing it's a m10 x 1.5 instead of a 1/8 NPT thread.

We tap the block for oil return because of turbo blow-by. Because the oil return is gravity fed, the oil has trouble "pushing" through the oil in the pan and gets back up into the turbo. just find out the highest point the oil sits in the bottom of the block and tap in the block above that line. Usually 2 1/2" (ish) works. When you get to that point, just measure where the oil dipstick "full" indication is.

Oil supply is generally accomplished with a sandwich adapter that attaches behind the oil filter.
BondXII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

I've had my water temp probe in the drain spot on the back of the block for nearly 8 years. I used a ⅛ NPT fitting. You are correct, it was not the right one, but with thread sealant it went in far enough to not leak.

If you can't get the proper fitting, simply chase the fitting with a metric tap so it's not permanent like mine.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #10
BondXII

Drives: 09 Yaris, 08 X-Runner
Quote:
I've had my water temp probe in the drain spot on the back of the block for nearly 8 years. I used a ⅛ NPT fitting. You are correct, it was not the right one, but with thread sealant it went in far enough to not leak.

If you can't get the proper fitting, simply chase the fitting with a metric tap so it's not permanent like mine.
LOL. I have been known to do stuff like that in the past. My luck has ran out over the years and now have to do it the "right" way. Mama always said leaks are the devil.

I may have to revisit this option though. My poor $170 Autometer temp gauge is just sitting in the dash wasting space. Been using DashCommand on my iPod to keep track of the few things I don't have a gauge for (timing, the stock A/F, cat temp, fuel trims, etc.).
BondXII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:30 AM   #11
abstractmethod

Thanks every one for your input and help, I've already ordered specific oil lines from Japan. I will tap into the oil feed from the oil sensor on the front of the engine under the intake manifold, then ill tap into the upper oil pan assembly for the drain tube.

As for the water feed, i've ordered some specific fittings that i'll get my engineer to weld onto the in/out coolant tubes for the engine. More photos to follow.