Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2014, 05:50 PM   #1
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
minimum Turbo'n

What are the minimum requirements to have a simple turbo set up on the Yaris?

for instance

turbo
exhaust manifold
down pipe
piping
(maybe inter-cooler)
bov/waste gate (7psi)
boost controller
boost guage
oil feed to and from turbo back to engine
Coolant lines to and from turbo
Piggy back required at minimum(and some way to connect it)
Air/Fuel Ratio gauge

anti-foulers needed(depends on tune)
ungraded injectors 1ZZ (depends on tune)

Additional Information from one of the Yaris Turbo masters:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30813
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood

Last edited by Golddeenoh; 02-16-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
You can't boost the car on just the stock ECU.

psi depends on the wastegate spring. You can just run the spring and not use a controller to save money. (but I don't recommend it)

You left out oil and water lines.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
drop the boost to about 2-3 and you can use the stock ECU... but they why have a turbo to begin with?
like Garm said
Engine management is a requirement to keep your motor safe or you will be buying a new motor not too long after that turbo is put on.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
drop the boost to about 2-3 and you can use the stock ECU...
Is there a thread where someone did this?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #5
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
I want to say malibuguy did this on his echo (the low boost thing)
Old 02-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #6
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

there isn't much point to boosting unless there is at least 7 psi of boost, giver or take 1 psi, so the management is a must.

I updated the list to include the fluid line and managment

what about injectors and o2 sensor anti-foulers?
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Old 02-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

There's only one anti-fouler, between the cats. if you are running a stock exhaust you may or may not need it.

Injectors, you have to see, as you are basically tuning the car with them. I would have 1ZZ injectors on hand to swap in.

You left off an air/fuel gauge, CRITICAL so you can monitor how your motor is running.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM   #8
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEF View Post
I want to say malibuguy did this on his echo (the low boost thing)
i ran 3.5 on my tercel completely stock EFI. The car was awesome. After I was sure of my set up, bigger injectors went in & so did the AEM...& now i'm running 16lbs...

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:36 PM   #9
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
i ran 3.5 on my tercel completely stock EFI. The car was awesome. After I was sure of my set up, bigger injectors went in & so did the AEM...& now i'm running 16lbs...
16# on stock internals?
Old 02-10-2014, 11:54 PM   #10
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
The Zage kit isn't a complex setup. Why not one of those or use as a model? Also need conical air filter right? Also I at a loss how an IC would be optional?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Oh yeah...I never paid attention. How well does the stock exhaust piping handle 6-8psi?

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

You can run a low-boost turbo without an intercooler. The air gets hotter (obviously) so it doesn't make as much power.

I don't recommend it, mostly because it's not THAT much more work to run an intercooler set up -- but it CAN be done.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

The point of the thread is to obtain a turbo set up for as cheaply as possible while still being able to drive the car every day. ideally a cheaper set up that can be expanded upon.

Zage is nice but if one would start with a basic set up t3/t4 turbo, then the expansion possibilities would be better once further funds became available.

I am under the impression that anything above 8psi will lead to a bent connecting rod. correct?

personally, I would inter-cooler, but if push comes to shove, it can be bypassed to save a few buck but lose some HP.

At some point MI will finally get a mid pipe in and stock exhaust will no longer be a problem.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:10 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I think the point of the thread is being served quite well... for once.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I think the point of the thread is being served quite well... for once.
yea, now about that mid-pipe?
Old 02-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #16
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

For the most part you aren't going to start risking rods until over 10psi, but if you have a shit tune I would think it is possible to ruin a rod. Regardless of that if you run lean all the time you could damage even at 8. It also depends on how you drive it.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:21 AM   #17
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Hey guys remember, boost doesn't bend rods. Power and detonation does. I built my roomies xB and with a 3.5psi wastegate spring it is making more power than the stock motor should handle because it has a t3 60 trim coupled with an efficient setup. When I had my Greddy kit I needed to run 15 psi to make the same power.

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:37 PM   #18
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
For the most part you aren't going to start risking rods until over 10psi, but if you have a shit tune I would think it is possible to ruin a rod. Regardless of that if you run lean all the time you could damage even at 8. It also depends on how you drive it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
Hey guys remember, boost doesn't bend rods. Power and detonation does. I built my roomies xB and with a 3.5psi wastegate spring it is making more power than the stock motor should handle because it has a t3 60 trim coupled with an efficient setup. When I had my Greddy kit I needed to run 15 psi to make the same power.
hoping to use a t3/t4 Hybrid set up, probably going to have to cut on one of Garm's t25 headers to make it work for a t3 flange. so it is up to the tune and set up, not simply the psi being used.