Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Should I black out my housings for the projectors, or leave it chrome?
Black them out you freakin loser. I can't believe your post was so long. 26 83.87%
Leave it chrome/stock 5 16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Should I blackout my housings with my retrofit projectors? Or no?

Well I got my projector kit in from microimage and I will be doing the install this weekend (hopefully). I was wondering what you guys think would look better, and I was hoping for a possibly Photoshop request of my car with the projectors in and with black housing and chrome housing. Should I black out my housings with the projectors? Or leave them chrome. The first picture is of camell's car with the housings blacked out. The 2nd pic is of camell's headlights before he painted the inside black.

Blacked out housing (also has eyelids, but i dont have those)

Stock housing with projector..

The blacked out housing matches camell's car perfectly and i could not see it any other way. However, I'm not sure if the blacked out housings will be too much for a white car? Leaving the housing stock is definately a safe bet and keeps it OEM looking; but could blacking out the housing achieve an even better look for the white car????? hmmmmm

Here's some pics of garm's white car with projectors, but he painted the outside transparent black. It gives you an idea of what I would want. However, I'd be painting the inside housing black like camell..

If any of you guys are good at photoshopping. Could you photoshop a blacked out headlight version with the projectors, and then a normal chrome headlight with the projector. Here's a pic you can work with. thanks

Here's some shots of the projectors for you guys to photoshop them in. I hope these pics will suffice..

thanks in advance!

Last edited by PETERPOOP; 09-01-2009 at 09:15 PM.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
jonismyname

Drives: 08 liftback 5spd
i def like the look of camells, with the interior blacked out, gives a bit of contrast and displays the fact there's projectors in there... not your avg yaris... and i imagine it'd show the halo better too. maybe if it could be done lighter, like the transparent black paint on the reflectors (would that work?) intead of the housing?

either way it'll look great and i'll be following suit once funds and time make themselves available...
jonismyname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
i'd go with the chrome or black housing. if you were to spray the outside transparent black, i think that you would have a greater chance of being pulled over...
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
I say paint them black. Less chance of glare. I'll be doing mine on friday after I pick up the
projectors.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Do them white!!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:46 AM   #6
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Peterpoop, here is my photoshop attempt. I know it looks fake. Please forgive me. :D
I tried to black it all out but results were terrible.

Normal

Tinted

Dark
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:17 AM   #7
PETERPOOP

yarisugi, that actually gives me a great idea of what it would look like!!! perfect. thanks. if you had time could you do the front shot one too
Old 09-02-2009, 01:29 AM   #8
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Stock > chessy looking re-jector headlights Imo...
blacksandiegovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:36 AM   #9
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksandiegovitz View Post
Stock > chessy looking re-jector headlights Imo...
So you're saying you prefer stock headlights instead of the retro fit projector headlights? Or you saying you prefer the stock chrome housing for the retro fit over the black housing retro fit headlight?
Old 09-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
in the HB theres just too much housing to make it look good as compared to the sedans which a projector looks like it should come as standard. Which leads me to liking those depo projectors more as they fill up the empty spaces. But the darked out one looks the best to me. good luck.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
So you're saying you prefer stock headlights instead of the retro fit projector headlights? Or you saying you prefer the stock chrome housing for the retro fit over the black housing retro fit headlight?
^ Nothing , all stock . Since you really got a clean jdm look going , id switch the stock side markers to a set of amber stanley oem s2000 side markers and it will really tie the amber in the headlight with the side markers . I just bought a set off ebay to and will post pic after installed .
Old 09-02-2009, 06:24 PM   #12
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
imo i think black housing headlights always look better than chrome

do it to be different man. if youre putting in the projectors anyways, might as well

chrome

black housing

chrome

mine with s black housing

just dont smoke the headlights too, that might be overkill
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:29 PM   #13
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
in the HB theres just too much housing to make it look good as compared to the sedans which a projector looks like it should come as standard. Which leads me to liking those depo projectors more as they fill up the empty spaces. But the darked out one looks the best to me. good luck.
^^ So true
Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
PETERPOOP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
in the HB theres just too much housing to make it look good as compared to the sedans which a projector looks like it should come as standard. Which leads me to liking those depo projectors more as they fill up the empty spaces.
Well I can't take your opinion very seriously if you like the depot projector headlights. Because I think those are horrible. But yah, black seems to be the best bet. Especially if camell said the reason he did his black was to get rid of the reflection. Don't want that going on.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
PETERPOOP

Yah, i'm in the same boat. I am debating whether I should take out the orange reflector in the headlight too. I know that's illegal and there will be a empty space where the reflector sits, but I think it might clean it up. Decisions, decisions.........
Old 09-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #16
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
I am going to Black them out but just going to buy a set from ebay just in case i mess them up I think i am going to get them projectors to. GOD I AM GOING TO GO SO BROKE
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:07 PM   #17
PETERPOOP

Blacking them out will definately match the color of your car.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 PM   #18
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Well see i was looking for the headlights like AdeJong's I went to dealers and all but they said there was no way of telling if they was blk or crome untill they got the part in he said I DONT EVEN THINK TOYOTA MAKES EM IN BLK i told him dude i seen em on u guys lot on the 09 S but he still stick to his story. Bla ef it i guess ill do it my self then hopefully i dont ef em up
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote