Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
technoguy

Drives: Toyota Vitz 1.3L Auto 2005
Toyota Vitz 2005 1.3L Auto Air Filter

Hi all, I am a new member and this is my first post. I have a Toyota Vitz 1.3L Auto 2005, it is exactly same as Yaris, japanese import. It has done 30000kms and I just got Oil and Filter replaced with Castrol Magnatec 10w-40 and RYCO oil filter. I want to know if I need to replace the air filter as well and if there is anything else I need to check. I am unable to find transmission and power steering oil level as not sure where to look. Just under the bonnet, in the centre, I was able to locate the air filter and the part number is Denso 17801-23030. Would like to know if it needs to be replaced, looks ok though and which filter to get. Is there any other filter behind the glove box?

Sorry for so many questions but I am a newbie. Also, need to know if clip on type wipers can be fit as wiper blades need replacing.
Sorry, another thing, need to put a FM band expander too but need assistance.
Thanks
technoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
walt101786

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris Hatch-Back
hey there, well it's ok to ask many questions...as far as I know for power steering, if I'm not wrong, the Yaris don't need power steering fluids, it is operated by electrical harness or some sort, you can check your manual on that. As for transmission it is located by your intake area. And as for for air filter wise, I perfer switching to KnN filter so in long run, you can just clean it and put it back. For oil wise, I rather you stick it with 5w30 or something within it's range, like 0w30 or 0w20 but other. I think your set. oh I almost forgot, check spark plugs as well.
walt101786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:48 AM   #3
technoguy

Thanks for the reply, what about cabin air filter, can it be cleaned or needs to be replaced? I checked it and it looks quite dirty, I dusted it off but did not wash it or anything. I am unable to find the manual, is it possible to get it, it's a Vitz 1.3L 2005 Auto, Jap import. Is it easy to check the spark plugs and any instructions on checking the transmission oil?
Old 01-10-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
walt101786

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris Hatch-Back
for the cabin air filter, if it looks dirty, I advice to get a new one. It should cost less than $15. Spark plugs wise I'll go for NGK iridium or better. Or the denso ones, heard those are good too. Spark plugs can cost around $40, KnN drop in filter cost around $45ish and cabin cost less than $15. Along spark plugs and drop in filter can boost some performance. Transmission oil, it's the black dip stick on the right side of your engine. I think you use WS oil, which is the factory oil by Toyota. Spark plugs can be done by DIY, if don't know how, u can take it to local shop and they can do it for like $10-$15. I think I did answer your questions. All in total, for spark plugs KnN drop in filter and cabin filter will come up like under $100, depending where u shop at.
walt101786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #5
technoguy

Thanks a lot for your help. To sum it all up, my car has done about 20000 miles and you think I should change the spark plugs, engine filter, cabin filter. Is there any guide regarding when to replace what? Also, I don't have a manual for it and I don't see any dipstick for the transmission oil at all, have looked everywhere. I will upload a picture of the engine, maybe you can find it. Parts here in NZ are very very expensive and I wish I had someone in USA who could send them to me, I don't mind getting them delivered to you if you are happy to help and pay you the postage by paypal. I know I am asking for too much but you never know unless you try! Cheers