Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2006, 08:22 AM   #1
GTSRacer

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3 Door
Talking US Yaris Sales "stronger than expected"

According to this report, Toyota only has a 9 day supply of Yari in the US. Also, Toyota sales are up, and Honda sales are flat.

Great article.

TM

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt...&date=20060703

US automakers' June sales sag

Monday July 3, 5:50 PM EDT

By Kevin Krolicki and Jui Chakravorty

DETROIT (Reuters) - U.S. sales fell for all three big American automakers in June, led by a 26 percent drop at General Motors Corp. (GM), while Japan's Toyota Motor Corp. surged.

Higher gas prices, slower sales of trucks and sport utility vehicles and a lack of deep incentives compared to last summer -- when GM rolled out employee-level pricing -- hurt the Detroit-based automakers in a weaker U.S. auto market.

The tough sales comparison comes at a time when GM's board is under pressure to consider a three-way alliance with Renault SA and Nissan Motor Co.

Ford's June sales dropped 7 percent and DaimlerChrysler's plunged 13 percent, underscoring the pressure on Detroit automakers at the start of a summer season they are counting on to clear an unsold inventory of 2006 models.

By contrast, Toyota -- now No. 3 in the U.S. market for cars and trucks -- posted a 14 percent sales gain. Toyota sold more cars in June than Ford and Chrysler combined.

Toyota's share of the total U.S. vehicle market rose to 15 percent in June, up from 12 percent a year earlier. The Detroit-based companies' market share sagged to 56 percent, down from 62 percent.

"Toyota is unstoppable. They have the right product mix, the right price, the right image, and momentum of product," said analyst Jesse Toprak of industry tracking service Edmunds.com.

Overall, U.S. light vehicle sales -- cars, pickup trucks and SUVs -- fell to 1.5 million units, down 11 percent, according to industry tracking firm Autodata Corp.

Toyota has taken a bigger share of a weakening U.S. market on the fuel efficiency of its line-up, which trails only Honda Motor Co. in average fuel economy among major manufacturers.

In the first half of 2006, Toyota sales rose 10 percent, boosted by the revamped Camry sedan and the new Yaris subcompact. "We expect that sales pace is going to continue in the rest of the year," said Jim Lentz, executive vice president of Toyota Motor Sales.

He said Yaris sales were stronger than anticipated and Toyota was working to import them in higher volume from Japan.

Toyota has only a 9-day inventory of the Yaris, and an even tighter 4-day sales inventory of its Prius hybrid, essentially making both vehicles sellout hits.

Meanwhile, sales of Ford's Explorer, a best-selling SUV, dropped by 36 percent in June while sales of the larger Expedition were down 46 percent. "There's no question that higher gas prices have hurt demand for these products," said Ford sales analyst George Pipas.

Auto executives said there were signs that consumers were also waiting for better deals in July, when both GM and Chrysler rolled out new discount offers.

CHRYSLER INCENTIVES UP, SALES DOWN

The weak June numbers capped a rough quarter for Chrysler, the only Detroit-based automaker to post a profit in the first quarter. Chrysler saw its inventory balloon to 91 days of sales at the end of June, and has had to resort to the biggest discounts in the industry this year.

DaimlerChrysler's first-half U.S. sales were down 5 percent as a 17 percent gain for Mercedes-Benz was more than offset by a 3 percent drop for the bigger-volume Chrysler brand.

Chrysler is attempting to shore up its flagging sales with the most aggressive discount offer of the year, combining employee-level pricing with zero-percent financing and a 30-day money back guarantee.

Chrysler executives said they were confident that would boost July sales and run down a glut of almost 648,000 unsold vehicles, with trucks representing almost 85 percent of the total.

GM said its June result, in line with the company's cautionary forecast, was on track with the terms of its restructuring plan, which includes a dozen plant closings and some 30,000 job cuts.

The year-on-year GM decline reflected an unusually strong performance in 2005 when it rolled out an employee pricing offer that touched off a summer price war in Detroit.

GM has vowed to avoid cutting margins through a similarly sweeping program this year, saying last year's discounts hurt the image of its brands and the resale value of its vehicles.

GLOBAL POWERHOUSE?

Billionaire investor Kirk Kerkorian is looking to broker the three-way alliance among GM and Nissan-Renault. Such a tie-up would create a global automotive powerhouse with almost twice the sales of Toyota, the No. 2 automaker worldwide.

The boards of Nissan and Renault on Monday approved discussions about the deal.

But Nissan has struggled in the U.S market this year, and its June sales tumbled by 19 percent.

Nissan's difficulties have included a disruptive move in its headquarters to Nashville, Tennessee, production cuts and an embarrassing recall of some Altima and Sentra sedans due to evidence of engine fires.

Rival Honda Motor Co. , which is building a new U.S. assembly plant to keep up with demand, posted flat overall sales in June. Strong sales for its fuel-efficient Fit and Civic models were offset by declines in truck sales and for its Acura luxury line.

©2005 Reuters Limited.
GTSRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:23 AM   #2
jake3356

Drives: Element
No wonder I reading all these complaints about ppl not being able to find the Yaris that they want. Looks like Yaris is officially a hit!
jake3356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Master2192

Drives: 98 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Yeah it is, I can't find any Liftbacks in my area. They all disappear before I can get down to the dealership. Definitely going to order one eventually though.
Master2192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #4
spacemanoeuvres
spase peepole

Drives: BLAZING BLUE Liftback 5 Speed
that's great

should translate to increased board traffic and continually expanding knowledge base
Old 07-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
No surprises here. I knew the second I saw my first Liftback that the Yaris was going to do very very well.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
TrancosRt

Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Glad to see the american market finally sees what the European (and mostly worldwide) market sees regarding big vehicles: they are only worth if you have a use for them!!
It is a drag to have to wait for the Yaris I ordered -a Blazing Blue hatch with a Convenience package- 6 weeks (hopefully) longer than what I was originally told :3-6 weeks. But hey! seeing more Yarii and small cars on the road will not only make the traffic flow better but also help the environment, make more fuel available for everybody, and help Toyota (who could get more frigging Yarii to the US now!!) so it´s a win-win situation!
TrancosRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #7
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Ha! Death to the SUVs! Maybe now the soccer moms and the tough-guy-wannabe businessmen are starting to come to their senses and purchasing the vehicles they actually need, instead of what they think will make them cool: minivans for the kiddies, cars for the pencil pushers.

I've been waiting for the Big 3 to get hammered with something like this for a long time. S'what they get for putting all their eggs in the huge vehicle market and offering half-a$$ed crap for the rest of us. And they wonder why we buy Asian cars....

(someone may notice I drive a Pontiac... what can I say, I got a good deal, and it's actually a Toyota anyway!)

~YR
Old 07-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #8
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master2192
Yeah it is, I can't find any Liftbacks in my area. They all disappear before I can get down to the dealership. Definitely going to order one eventually though.
No kidding. Toyota Mall of Georgia only had two 5-speed liftbacks coming in and they were both already sold before they got there. Marietta Toyota got in one red 5-speed liftback and I snagged it even tho I wanted a blue one.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:14 AM   #9
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
I literally snagged a white manual hatch off the truck, wasn't even inventoried by the dealership by the time i had my hands on it... that was after a two week hunt to every dealership in so-cal. Mine doesn't have any package at all... all it had was AC.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Don Mason

Drives: Yaris
Waited just 3 days for a hatchback

I'm in Southern Calif. My local dealer wasn't much help in obtaining a hatchback.

I called Longo Toyota in El Monte, sent a $500 deposit, and they called 3 days later, confirming that the exact car I wanted was in stock.

5 speed manual hatch, Polar White, with the basic upgrade package.
Don Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:48 PM   #11
Cathy

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
I still haven't seen another liftback in my part of Southern CA, the sedans seem popular here. I know when the one that I had a deposit on was sold out from underneath me, I had called 6 other dealers before I a found an automatic. Even though I hadn't wanted white, I jumped on it, so glad I did, I love my new baby. I hope Toyota can get some more liftbacks to the US because mine has prompted at least 2 people I know into wanting one.

Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:54 PM   #12
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
OH BOY

Billionaire investor Kirk Kerkorian is looking to broker the three-way alliance among GM and Nissan-Renault. Such a tie-up would create a global automotive powerhouse with almost twice the sales of Toyota, the No. 2 automaker worldwide.

This would be the bigest joke ever. Take 3 failing companies, put them together, and viola, POWERHOUSE!

It makes so much sense! (sarcasm)

A Versa-Hummer! A Caddi-Altima! Montana-Quest! Le Vette! (Le Car)
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 08:59 PM   #13
dandj

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan auto
Don't get me wrong here as I love my Yaris more everyday. The wife and I drive it all over getting great gas mileage ! We went to a family gathering a month ago. My moms minivan w/7 people and my brothers suburban w/7 people cost less per person to drive than my yaris w/2 people.
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 09:24 PM   #14
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
I'm glad i got mine when I did (a lil more then 4months ago) and even then of the two dealers only 1 left... mine.*

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #15
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
I really love my yaris liftback. Its better than I could have imagined. I put money down back in febuary to order mine. And then had to wait till april 26th to finally get it. Glad I did. Sounds like they are hard to get now.

Last edited by foober; 09-15-2006 at 10:37 PM.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:26 PM   #16
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
I'm so glad to hear this great news! I'm really rooting for the Yaris and obviously its a big hit!
Old 09-16-2006, 01:35 AM   #17
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandj
Don't get me wrong here as I love my Yaris more everyday. The wife and I drive it all over getting great gas mileage ! We went to a family gathering a month ago. My moms minivan w/7 people and my brothers suburban w/7 people cost less per person to drive than my yaris w/2 people.
I have found that my wife and kids love to zip around in the Yaris on the weekends. It saves money and looks cool doing it. Thats 4 people. Not too bad. It probably works out to be equal if you have a minivan with 7 people getting 18MPG. Better than equal actually! Not to mention that the Yaris can actually hold 5 people. (3 headrests across the back seat)
Now were talkin'!

Last edited by nsmitchell; 09-16-2006 at 01:47 AM.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote