Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-31-2007, 08:16 AM   #1
dadi_oh

Drives: RS 4 Door Hatch
New Pads and Rotors after 18K Miles???

I am buying a used 2006 Yaris with 22.5K Km = 18K Miles (due to pick it up today). In Ontario, Canada we have a mandatory safety check on cars so as part of that check the dealer that I am buying from has informed me that they changed the brake pads and rotors. This seems like awfully low mileage to be changing pads. I do a lot of highway miles and my pads usually last me at least 90K Km.

So what are the possibilities here?

1) Defective pads originally.
2) Car was parked a lot between drives and rusted rotors wore the pads.
3) The car was used for a LOT of city driving and the person didn't know how to downshift?
4) The car has a lot more than 22.5K Km on it. Is it even possible on new cars to disconnect the odometer. I would think that would royally mess up the ECU that depends on the speedometer. (Anyone know where the odometer cable comes off the transmission? Maybe I can check the seal).
5) Other ideas?

David
Old 08-31-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Irishlass
Goddess

Drives: Absolutely Red LB
I know this will sound crazy but did they use it to deliver newspapers or mail? Also part of the 5K first service is a check of the brake pads....

I hope you enjoy the car all the same!

2007 Red Yaris
2005 Red Lotus Elise (moved to VA)
2001 Red Miata
1964 Red Austin Healy Sprite
Irishlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I think it's none of the above..if the dealer is like the one I work for, then they saw some marginal wear or perhaps a tiny crack, and just went ahead with the brake job to be 100% sure that the vehicle was ready to go. To bank on the side of safety. I wouldn't worry, be thankful you have new parts on a used car
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #4
dadi_oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisTom73 View Post
I think it's none of the above..if the dealer is like the one I work for, then they saw some marginal wear or perhaps a tiny crack, and just went ahead with the brake job to be 100% sure that the vehicle was ready to go. To bank on the side of safety. I wouldn't worry, be thankful you have new parts on a used car
That is what the salesman said. I guess I just have a history of not necessarily believing everything a salesman says

The tires seem to be the original tires and don't look like they have more than 22K of wear on them so I am probably just being paranoid.

Looking forward to getting the car today. I was quite impressed by the test drive. A little underpowered IMHO but my last car was a Jetta 1.8T chipped to 205HP so I'm not quite being fair

Looking forward to not seeing the gas pumps so frequently...
Old 08-31-2007, 12:02 PM   #5
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

I had a Jetta, just a crappy 92, but I loved it..I've always had an affinity for VW. Now, if I could find an old beetle reasonably priced , the Yaris would have a friend to stay warm with this winter, lol.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
aca72

Drives: '07 Yaris S Sedan M5
Most probably, "The car was used for a LOT of city driving and the person didn't know how to downshift?" aka ID-10-T driver.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aca72 View Post
Most probably, "The car was used for a LOT of city driving and the person didn't know how to downshift?" aka ID-10-T driver.
ID 10 T ??
Old 08-31-2007, 03:14 PM   #8
dadi_oh

Well I picked it up at lunch today and had a looonnng drive back to the office

I quite enjoyed it. Given all of the other evidence the car is indeed only 22K KM old (delivery date was November 11, 2005... Possibly even at the 11th minute of the 11th hour). I suspect that it was a lot of city miles coupled with the dealer being cautious with a key safety feature like the brakes (and possibly compunded by the ID 1 OT driver... Reminds me of the "check driver light" in place of the check engine light. With cars getting smarter and smarter that can only be just around the corner

Well I have new pads and rotors out of the deal

I had read the ongoing "old" debate about cabin filters and was curious so I pulled off the glove box and there, staring at me was what looks like a relatively fresh cabin air filter. Another bonus. Life just doesn't get any better than this...

Looking forward to a long weekend. Toodles.

Dadi Oh
Old 08-31-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
ID10T... hehe similar to a PU55Y.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #10
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Wow, can't believe I missed that
Old 08-31-2007, 05:05 PM   #11
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell View Post
ID10T... hehe similar to a PU55Y.
or PEN15
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 PM   #12
joe keeney

Drives: yaris 2 door hatch
My sister inlaw used to hit stop signs about 50 foot away. New breakes every 6 months.
joe keeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:53 PM   #13
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I don't think it's possible your brakes were worn out at 18,000 miles. Unless the first owner drove with two feet (rode the brakes the whole time). Don't you just love seeing people accelerate from a light with their brake lights on as they drive away. What a waste...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:34 PM   #14
xpeteyjtx

Drives: 07 BB Yaris
Congratulations on the car!

I tend to not believe anything that anyone from a dealer says. So if you want to be completely certain, make sure that you get some sort of receipt from the dealer that says the brakes were replaced. Also, check the thickness of the pads.
xpeteyjtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:54 PM   #15
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Hey was that guy the same one that had the video of him going down the hill flyin and his rotors and pads glowing orange That is a little weird he must have been doing all city driving. I drive like 80% highway and I have 35,000 miles on mine with no problems.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
black2yaris
The Man In Black Lives

Drives: Black Sand Pearl L/B 'o7
2 footed driver for sure ! I worked with a guy who rested his other foot on the brake peddle . He was constantly replacing his brakes . claiming that he had got screwed by the brake MFG'er . He never had a clue !
2007 2 door hatchback in Black Sand Pearl, A/T,rear spoiler,front & rear JDM badges,TRD CAI,TRD rear sway bar,exhaust tip,sill protectors,heximats,under dash blue LED's,short rubber ant,rear bumper protector,Toyota thin 7 spoke alloy wheels,pwr pkg,ABS,side curtain airbags,rear defogger,fog lights,mud guards,TYC tail lights,shift knob,tint all windows,security sys,keyless entry,clear paint protection all exposed front surfaces,TRD fuel cap,rubber dash & g/b mats
black2yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 08:44 PM   #17
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Wow thats nuts. Back in the day when I had drivers ed one girl who was driving asked the instructor if it was ok to take her left foot off the brake and we was like what she said oh i didnt know you only used your right foot.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 01:09 PM   #18
dadi_oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpeteyjtx View Post
Congratulations on the car!

I tend to not believe anything that anyone from a dealer says. So if you want to be completely certain, make sure that you get some sort of receipt from the dealer that says the brakes were replaced. Also, check the thickness of the pads.
Yeah that is the premise of my question. The other thing I noted when I got the car was that 2 of the tires are replaced with Michelin's and the other 2 are the original Bridgestones. So not only did they go through a set of brakes but also 2 tires in a mere 22375 km. So now I am really starting to wonder if the odometer can be correct.

So the question still stands. Is there any way that the odometer could have been disconnected or reset by the previous owner? Like I said, with the computers in modern cars it is not so simple to just disconnect a cable. The ECU would get all messed up not having a speed reading.