Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-16-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Bush dodges a shoe attack!!

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=VFX-dKpcDz8

missed!! old man got quick reflexes.

Last edited by junorico24; 12-16-2008 at 03:47 AM.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:11 AM   #2
GeneW
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris
Apparently the guy who tossed the shoes is a hero in some parts of the Arab world. Tossing shoes at someone is a grave insult over there. Means that you're less than the dirt under someone's feet.

He supposed had the crap beaten out of him by police and faces seven years in the jug for "attacking a visiting head of state". I think that's way too over done as a punishment. He ought to get credit for the beating and be sent on his way. It's not like the guy produced a firearm and started blasting or some other violent attack.

Most Americans probably did not care too much or did not understand the significance of it. I have read online that quite a few Arabs were curious about the "opinion of Americans".

This American was amused by the whole thing. The man did not toss shoes at me personally. I do wish that the US would formulate an exit strategy from Iraq and act upon it with dispatch. We really need to get out of the nation building business, it's destroying what we are and could be.

Gene
GeneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 AM   #3
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
I thought it was funny, but as an American there is a little voice in the back of my head that says the death penalty is too kind for someone that throws a peanut at my president, regardless of how much he pisses me off.

I say burn that guy at the stake, but thank him for a good laugh first.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
cue austin powers..

"ow! who throws a shoe?"

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:07 AM   #5
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Dude, that Bush, hes got some crazy reflexes.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Apparently the guy who tossed the shoes is a hero in some parts of the Arab world. Tossing shoes at someone is a grave insult over there. Means that you're less than the dirt under someone's feet.

Gene
Well... if the shoe fits...
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
I read that some guy is offering 10mil for the shoes that were thrown.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:44 AM   #8
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris liftback
Whatever your politics- the man "attacked" the President of the United States. Nobody respects this man, please respect the office. What if in 3 and 3/4 years this happens to Obama?

The shoe-icide bomber should be put in jail
bobselectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 07:47 AM   #9
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
^^ But not for 7 years.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:13 AM   #10
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZING View Post
^^ But not for 7 years.
Whatever-

Tell me this then...

1 Under Hussein the "news" was distributed by Baghdad Bob and other Information Ministers, to propaganda rags. Would this guy even have a job?

2 He was covering a press conference held under a shiite- led coalition government, which has members of different sects and ethnic backgrounds. Considering Hussein was a sunni, and ruled with an iron fist, fat chance this would have happened.

3 Under Hussein, this man would have been "tried", convicted and executed, along with his entire family and village, just to set an example.

No instead we have a man who was given the opportunity to live his life as free as possible in a fledgling democracy, and he goes out and attacks the man and the nation which gave him that freedom. Maybe we should pull out... and maybe they'll be more grateful to the Iranians once that invasion starts
Old 12-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
YamilR

Drives: Absolutely Red Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to YamilR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZING View Post
^^ But not for 7 years.
Not 7 years?? Are you insane? That ain't shit. Are we talking about the same culture that will cut your hand for steeling or the same culture that will stone you to death for the simplest things? Sure, not 7 years. Crucify the fucker

PS. that's my personal opinion and don't care if you like it
YamilR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:48 PM   #12
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
George Bush is a prime example of how much harm one man can do not only to a country, but to the entire world.

Sue me, hate me, ban me, whatever. He deserves much more than just a shoe thrown his way.

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #13
mo_feezy

Drives: 08 Yaris S Sedan AT Black
I was honestly surprised that Bush was able to duck both shoes. Especially with the reports that he's been hitting the bottle pretty hard recently. In fact, Bush supposedly cut his face by falling off the couch drunk. This is the same man who CHOKED ON A PRETZEL AND GAVE HIMSELF A BLACK EYE. He is more of a danger to himself than anyone else is. Especially a shoe thrower.

Quote:
3 Under Hussein, this man would have been "tried", convicted and executed, along with his entire family and village, just to set an example.

No instead we have a man who was given the opportunity to live his life as free as possible in a fledgling democracy, and he goes out and attacks the man and the nation which gave him that freedom. Maybe we should pull out... and maybe they'll be more grateful to the Iranians once that invasion starts
In case you've ignored the details. This mans family was killed during this war. So as far as he is concerned, I'm sure Bush is worse than Hussein in that regard. I don't think this really matters.
mo_feezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:09 PM   #14
bobselectric
Kickin' Yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo_feezy View Post
I was honestly surprised that Bush was able to duck both shoes. Especially with the reports that he's been hitting the bottle pretty hard recently. In fact, Bush supposedly cut his face by falling off the couch drunk. This is the same man who CHOKED ON A PRETZEL AND GAVE HIMSELF A BLACK EYE. He is more of a danger to himself than anyone else is. Especially a shoe thrower.

In case you've ignored the details. This mans family was killed during this war. So as far as he is concerned, I'm sure Bush is worse than Hussein in that regard. I don't think this really matters.
No I didn't ignore the details, I just stopped reading when I got to the poor Iraqi part. As I said if you don't respect the man, respect the office. I don't care if you didn't vote for him, disrespecting the President of the US is like wiping your ass with the Flag.

Oh and Panama boy, your country wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the US. You would still be some Colombians slave if we didn't recognize the "revolution" when we wanted to build the canal
Old 12-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #15
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
I admit I was super impressed with Bush's cat-like reflexes. That would have been a direct face hit...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #16
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobselectric View Post
No instead we have a man who was given the opportunity to live his life as free as possible in a fledgling democracy, and he goes out and attacks the man and the nation which gave him that freedom.
One of the tenets of democracy is the freedom of speech. By throwing his shoes he was basically just flipping off Bush... expressing his opinion in an overt way that is familiar to him.

I would also like to point out that the Iraqi people never asked for our version of freedom, and every poll that has been done from the time of our invasion and throughout our occupation has shown that the Iraqis feel their life was better under Saddam. Much of the country still has spotty or entirely missing basic services (which they had in fairly good order under Saddam), and the Sunni/Shiite issue that Saddam kept under control via tyranny has now fomented and spilled out into the streets. Not a week goes by without some terroristic act between those two factions occurring.

Arm them one decade and invade them the next... no wonder no one trusts us, and no wonder at least one Iraqi found it prudent to let our President know that he is not happy with him.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #17
mo_feezy

Drives: 08 Yaris S Sedan AT Black
Quote:
As I said if you don't respect the man, respect the office. I don't care if you didn't vote for him, disrespecting the President of the US is like wiping your ass with the Flag.
That might be true, but I didn't throw a shoe at the president. An Iraqi man did. I don't think that he has the same duty to respect the President of the U.S. He probably doesn't have much of a reason not to wipe his ass with the flag either.
mo_feezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #18
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Wow, some srus bzns in hurr.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote