Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Anyone test the turbulence on the back of the car?

I am just about to put some Vortekz generators on the rear of my LB's roofline. I'm going to do a before and after video of the airflow on the rear hatch.

Anyone else do this sort of thing? I'm wondering if the Vortekz can cut some drag. The other choice was to get a spoiler to spoil the airflow but these were a little cheaper and they would be unique.

Lastly, I saw a picture somewhere of a YW member that was using Vortekz. I can't find that picture anymore. Any hints?
Attached Images

LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Kaotic Lazagna has them, check his garage
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 12:15 AM   #3
LtNoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
Kaotic Lazagna has them, check his garage
Thanks, I'm trying to figure out if they should be in a straight line or follow the curve of back of the LB.

I'll go look at his garage now.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

some have even angled the right and left half inward as well
Old 12-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
LtNoogie

Yeah, that's actually part of the instructions. The middle ones angle in the most. Then the angles get less in pairs until the outer ones are parallel.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
LtNoogie

I can't drive consistently. My right foot wants to activate the S/C. My ScanGauge says "what are you doing to the trip mileage?"
Old 12-06-2008, 12:26 AM   #7
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

lol, yep, that'll do it
Old 12-08-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I installed them using the default set up that Vortekz recommends. I saw a very minor (something like .xx, can't remember the exact numbers) increase in mpg. I'm sure if you have access to a wind tunnel or something equivalent, you can angle the VG's better for that straight flow effect.

Also, I know the VG's are working because I can see "triangles" form on my rear window when there is condensation on it.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
LtNoogie

Thanks. My problem is that the rear edge of the LB is curved outwards. The rear edge of the sedan is a straight line. I'm going to write the Vortekz people to find out if I should put my generators in a straight line or follow the curve of the hatch.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:35 AM   #10
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
I believe the first common use of the vortex generators was on the Mitsubishi Evo and it was meant to smoothen airflow so that the spoiler/wing on the rear trunk was more effective.

Those followed the curve of the rear windscreen edge, I believe.

I don't know how that theory works on a liftback, though, since there is no rear wing to take advantage of the smoothed air.

Try it by all means, I think you could probably try both a spoiler or a vortex generator to see which creates less turbulence/drag. Based on the amount of dirt/dust that clings onto my rear windscreen, I think the air moving in this region is relatively slow.

I'm thinking of fitting a spoiler to reduce the amount of dust that clings onto the rear hatch.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:03 PM   #11
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
We've gotten into the spoiler/dust/mud debate before recently, check it out. Filling in the vacuum behind the hatch is difficult, and is likely to decrease one's fuel mileage. Changing air direction results in drag, simple as that, so I wish you luck.

What I DO know for sure is that the rear window on our sedan remains clean, and the reason is clear when one looks at the profile. My buddy has a hatch, but so far I haven't found the time to do any experimentation...
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote