Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #19
Slick

Drives: '09 3-Dr
Send a message via MSN to Slick
Yeah, but I also found that my beverage of choice eventually makes all the scratches disappear!
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:28 PM   #20
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
How much pressure are you supposed to apply when you're using Scratch-X?

I tried some on the trunk a couple months ago, and you could barely even tell it had been polished. I applied it by hand, without pressing very hard. Do you have to work it in before it hazes up?

My Yaris is dark blue and all the little scratches are very visible.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #21
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
You gotta use elbow grease and a terry towel. It takes pressure and rubbing vigorously (which is why I recommend the beverages to stay hydrated).
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #22
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
Yeah, but I also found that my beverage of choice eventually makes all the scratches disappear!
Hahahhaahaaaa...yeah.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #23
Slick

All I would do is take a Meg's yellow pad, (any pad will do) squirt about a 1" circle of Scratch-X, then make a swirl pattern on a 1 foot by 1 foot square. I would apply about a medium pressure and hard pressure on extremely visible scratches. I believe that the directions on the S-X says to let the area dry and then buff off with a terry towel.

About 6 months ago I was researching this. I read that S-X uses a special abrasive that evens out fine to light scratches. The trick to the abrasive is that as you rub it into the paint it slowly dissolves, which is why it is safe for any paint. There is almost no way to buff a "blur" into your clear coat using normal muscle power.

Last edited by Slick; 04-24-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #24
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
NO. Scratch-X is a hand buffing abrasive. You will end up with a VERY uneven surface.

Get the entire car professionally buffed if it's that bad.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #25
Slick

firemachine69

This is from Meg's forum Admin

"The trick is to work the product in until it just begins to disappear and to apply more than one application. You see, the ScratchX, like all Meguiar's Paint Cleaners, contain a diminishing abrasive, as you work ScratchX in, the microscopic diminishing abrasives gently abrade the surface removing small particles of paint. But as you work it in, these diminishing abrasives breakdown. Thus, they quit abrading the finish and actually polish the finish to a clear, high gloss. This diminishing action turned polishing action is a benefit to you because it enable you to work out defects without leaving scratches behind."

I know for a fact from experience there is no way S-X by itself will damage your clear coat. I did an entire truck, no problems, only satisfaction.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #26
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay

I agree with Slick. The citation from Megs is correct.

I've used this product on my cars as well as others with no ill effects. I also have a DA and a rotary with Megs professional products; but, for spot work by hand or when I don't feel like pulling out the hardware, Scratch-X is why Meg's designed the product. I have been able to remove swirls in isolated areas - from someone brushing up against the car - with Scratch-X perfectly.

I've gotten the best results with a terry cloth towel which cuts down on the number of passes.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 PM   #27
Arkhangel

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
my car from the lot with a deep gouge on one of the side mirrors :( luckily the dealer changed it, lol what they did was take a mirror of one of the cars in the lot and put it on mine, so i guess either there is a car at there lot still with a damaged mirror or someone didnt notice it when they bought there car lol... sorry if anyone here got it

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense. --Tom Clancy
Arkhangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #28
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I just recieved a magasine from Club Toyota and evidently for a price the dealer will make your car look new again,involves professional detailing inside and out.
Does anybody know how much it costs?
Old 04-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #29
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
entire car, i wouldnt do, but this stuff is great for surface scratches, i found a pretty big one today, but less than a minute work and its gone. Really helps that color is meteor metallic, but even deep scratches i got to only slightly visible.
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:12 PM   #30
Aothachos
Banned

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Aothachos Send a message via Yahoo to Aothachos
i got my first major scratch this past winter. i came home and my hood was still hot from driving it around and a stray cat came over and climbed on top of my hood for warmth because it was cold and it was falling off and one nailed clawed a nice scratch on my hood, scratch X did nothing so i got touch up paint, did a crappy job but the scratch isn't there anymore....

i kno what had happened because there was dirty paw prints all over my hood lol
Aothachos is offline   Reply With Quote