Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-26-2012, 07:17 AM   #1
antmanbee

Drives: 2008 2dr hatch
Set of 4 Hankook 185/60-15 H727 for $186 and free shipping after 2 rebates

This is at Discount tire direct store on ebay. There is a $100 rebate from discount tire and a $50 rebate from Hankook.
Excellent reviews on tirerack.

Tire link and $100 rebate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190744353901...S:3160&vxp=mtr

Hankook rebate:http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...ns.do?pgid=672
antmanbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Not a bad find, but personally I would never go the same level on speed rating as what the car car reach from the factory at the fuel cutoff. Sure normally most folks would never hit 118 for example, but you just never know and TBH the speed rating has more to do with than just "how fast might I go". I would go with at least the H rating if not the V which is actually the top for a street rated 15" tire. Here is a great resource to get a better understanding:

http://blog.tirevan.com/2011/01/18/t...ast-you-drive/

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
gotta go for some v rated tires

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
antmanbee

The OE tires are T rated. These tires are T rated. Michelin Harmony and Defender tires are T rated. For most owners these Hankooks are an excellent choice for a long wearing tire. You will not be sacrificing your safety with these tires as fnkngrv implies if you drive in a sensible way.
Check out the reviews at Tirerack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lar=&tab=Specs
Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #5
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
bah! hankook rebate is US and PR only
Old 10-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
I did a lot of reading on the online user comments before I put Hankook Optimo's on my truck, and I've been totally pleased with them.

They run quiet straight and true and hardly needed any weights to balance them.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Excellent tyres!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #8
edgardhe

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
I just got back from a three hundred mile trip on a new set of these tires. I've been using them for about a month in the city. They are great in the rain. Very sticky in curves (compared to my very worn Yokahama's). Several of the reviews I read said that there is a slight hesitation in turning with the tire. I found that to be true until I put a few more psi in them. They lightened up, rolled better and the sidewalls stiffened up a bit. Unfortunately, I didn't get a rebate and paid a bit more than the deal above. Such is life. They are pretty quiet on the road. I now hear more engine and wind sound in the cabin than tire sound (radio off). I can't say much for mileage, it's improved, but I also changed to synthetic oil. I'm really interested to see how these tires go in the snow. Their snow reviews were very good.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Good to see . Keep us updated on their performance and gas mileage as the miles rack up . Enjoy .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #10
NJ Drive

Drives: 2012 Yaris SE
My girlfriend has been using the H727 on her Yaris for the last 40,000 miles.
Ride is great, tire noise is low, good traction in rain, very capable in snow(when new), great wear. Absolutely can't beat them for the money.
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #11
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by antmanbee View Post
The OE tires are T rated. These tires are T rated. Michelin Harmony and Defender tires are T rated. For most owners these Hankooks are an excellent choice for a long wearing tire. You will not be sacrificing your safety with these tires as fnkngrv implies if you drive in a sensible way.
Check out the reviews at Tirerack:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....lar=&tab=Specs
Do what you like, but the OE tires are complete garbage and to be seemed a safety hazard, at least the ones on the earlier model Yaris. Horrible in the rain, soft sidewalls, not very good handling at interstate speeds of 75+mph. I figured that I would help folks if they wanted it. Just because something comes OE does NOT mean that it is the best bet to go with. I am not implying that you have a definite safety issue with going with a T rated tire...I am implying that folks need to be better informed. The ratings on my Falken 912s were excellent and I liked them a lot, but would I buy them again? Nope and just because they wear so damned fast yet so many "raters" on the different sites said they get easily what is advertised for mileage and even better. I call Those like many other ratings are skewed and can be manipulated with ease in today's advanced digital age.

Toyota, especially in the case of the Yaris, designed and made their choices specifically to get the mpg that they could with the cheapest parts possible that might stand up over the years. I could give you a laundry list of what I have found to be substandard in this car that I replaced. Hell, a primary example of this is lowering the car even just 1.5" which makes the car much more stable and handle better especially in high winds therefore making it safer on the road without any compromise in ride quality with the right combination nor in efficiency.

I love my car and love the Yaris pplatform, but TBH I actually feel that the 96 Tercel I had was built with better quality parts than the Yaris. At least in 4 season states. My old 96 is still a DD for the guy I sold it to when I bought my Yaris back in 06 and the only thing that has been done to it is oil, filters, tires and wheel bearings after 15 years. Curiously enough the OE choice for tires for that platform was miles ahead of the ones they equipped the Yaris with.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #12
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Don't get the Continental Pro Contact w/ Eco Plus . They're wearing very quickly with less than 25,0000 miles and about a year and 1/2 . They're great at first . But not worth the money for the short lifespan . They start at 11/32s' and now are at 6/32s for the front and about 8 for the rears . We use winter tires , so no need for many rotations . Maybe we should of went with the 727s' .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:10 AM   #13
antmanbee

Last day for this deal.
Wheels are available for a $100 rebate also.
I found out too late for myself, but if tires and wheels are purchased at the same time they will be mounted and balanced with new valve stems at no charge and have a $200 rebate and shipped free to your house with no tax.