Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-17-2023, 04:36 PM   #91
Neinris

Drives: 08 Yaris 3 Door Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
exactly true, the aluminum is just going to let it go under pressure, or bend back n forth till it breaks off...it may not be "quick" but eventual inevitability...

Are you talking about the clip or the mounting bracket? I agree, that the clips should be spring steel, after a few test of mounting the aluminum clips on and off, the didn't retain the bend. I just didn't want to pay the $8 per clip from Toyota. I'll see if the car parts store near me has anything similar.

If anything, the brackets will be temporary, I just want to slap the disc conversion ASAP.
Neinris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:37 PM   #92
Compeer

Drives: NCP90 TRD Yaris Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neinris View Post
Are you talking about the clip or the mounting bracket? I agree, that the clips should be spring steel, after a few test of mounting the aluminum clips on and off, the didn't retain the bend. I just didn't want to pay the $8 per clip from Toyota. I'll see if the car parts store near me has anything similar.

If anything, the brackets will be temporary, I just want to slap the disc conversion ASAP.
You will have to repair the holes you drill tho, idk man this is your brakes, Do it once do it right.

The Alu bracket will brake as well not just the clip, the brake hoses move back and fourth when pressurized under braking, this is going to stress fracture then brake off the mount right where its bent. It would need a triangle welded in to stop this or for it to be a properly cast unit designed to not bend.

You can do the brake upgrade, just use the stock mount position for the trailing arm and stock brake brackets for now, Later on just move the brackets and change trailing arm position, changing the arms position only requires 10mins and a 17mm and extension and a jack.
Compeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 04:59 PM   #93
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compeer View Post
You will have to repair the holes you drill tho, idk man this is your brakes, Do it once do it right.

The Alu bracket will brake as well not just the clip, the brake hoses move back and fourth when pressurized under braking, this is going to stress fracture then brake off the mount right where its bent. It would need a triangle welded in to stop this or for it to be a properly cast unit designed to not bend.

You can do the brake upgrade, just use the stock mount position for the trailing arm and stock brake brackets for now, Later on just move the brackets and change trailing arm position, changing the arms position only requires 10mins and a 17mm and extension and a jack.
Fine, fine… I’ve waited almost 2 years for this rear disc conversion, what’s another week of wait to do them properly. I’ll make the steel brackets at work this week and weld them next weekend.
I painted my front calipers black, but I think I’ll paint them red along with the rear to make them look sportier.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:07 AM   #94
Compeer

Quote:
Fine, fine… I’ve waited almost 2 years for this rear disc conversion, what’s another week of wait to do them properly. I’ll make the steel brackets at work this week and weld them next weekend.
I painted my front calipers black, but I think I’ll paint them red along with the rear to make them look sportier.
Hell yeah, and I know how you feel, I seen the RS crashed and wanted to do teh brake upgrade and then the car got dismantled. Took me 2 years to find another donor car to do my own swap.

Its a minor upgrade for normal driving but if you live in the mountains or you drive aggressivly/take it to the track then this makes the car feels so much nicer. I had to do a hard stop yesterday on the motorway and she stopped on a dime, she will stop even better with the other suspension back in, just gotta bring myself to do another day out installing it all.
Old 02-20-2023, 12:46 PM   #95
Neinris

Quote:
Hell yeah, and I know how you feel, I seen the RS crashed and wanted to do teh brake upgrade and then the car got dismantled. Took me 2 years to find another donor car to do my own swap.

Its a minor upgrade for normal driving but if you live in the mountains or you drive aggressivly/take it to the track then this makes the car feels so much nicer. I had to do a hard stop yesterday on the motorway and she stopped on a dime, she will stop even better with the other suspension back in, just gotta bring myself to do another day out installing it all.
Have you ever thought of relocating the brake brackets that are hitting and move the trailing arms to the top mounting holes again?

I found some clippings of the stainless steel rails from work, they're 1/16 of an inch (about 1.6mm) thick, just what I'm looking for to make the brackets out of. I've made one bracket so far, while I'm on lunch break.
Old 02-21-2023, 02:41 PM   #96
Neinris

Ok, I’ve made the brackets from steel. I drilled holes in the bottom where it’s going to mount so that the weld would hold better. Maybe a little over kill…
I’m hoping that I can convince my friend to come to my house and bring his welder, instead of me coming to his house. It’s forecasted that there’d be freezing rain where he lives this Saturday, but not where I live, although it’s still going to be cold, but Sunday weather will be better. I might weld on Saturday and install everything on Sunday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9DF7842E-E770-45FE-A92B-6F6117D175ED.jpeg (188.7 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-21-2023, 05:47 PM   #97
Compeer

Quote:
Have you ever thought of relocating the brake brackets that are hitting and move the trailing arms to the top mounting holes again?

I found some clippings of the stainless steel rails from work, they're 1/16 of an inch (about 1.6mm) thick, just what I'm looking for to make the brackets out of. I've made one bracket so far, while I'm on lunch break.
Yeah but its very ilegal to do so, even moving the mount position is ilegal here.
I would need to get the brakes certed again because if the mechanic notices its "modified" it gets marked as modified and I have to get the entire cars brakes certed...NOT EASY.

Why arent you reusing the original brakets after cutting them off old position?
Old 02-21-2023, 06:20 PM   #98
Neinris

Quote:
Yeah but its very ilegal to do so, even moving the mount position is ilegal here.
I would need to get the brakes certed again because if the mechanic notices its "modified" it gets marked as modified and I have to get the entire cars brakes certed...NOT EASY.

Why arent you reusing the original brakets after cutting them off old position?
That sucks. You can't even just rotate them even just a little towards the inside so they won't hit the frame?

It's wasn't that hard to make the brackets, and it would be easier to just cut off the original ones that I need to relocate with a hacksaw than grind off the welds, and I don't have a grinding wheel.

Besides, I need to make two additional brackets to weld near the rear wheel hub for the hose that goes to the calipers, remember those don't exist on the drum brake version.

My friend said he'd come here on Saturday, so it's game on this weekend!!!
Old 02-22-2023, 09:02 AM   #99
Neinris

This project is making me lose sleep...

Last night, I was thinking too much about how or what I should be doing this weekend. I think I'll remove the axle frame from the car just to be safe, I don't any sparks near the gas tank, and I just filled up late last week. Not just that, also so I can get a good angle on the brackets I'm going to weld.
I'm going to buy an angle grinder, I found one for $50 USD, I'll try to remove the existing bracket that needs to be relocated and see if I can reuse them, also clean off the other spots where the other brackets are going to be welded down.
I'm debating if I should use the Yaris calipers or the Corolla calipers. It will depend on how the parking brake cable will be routed if the Corolla calipers are used. If you think about it, both the parking brake cable and brake line are on the top for the Corolla, which would make it easier to replace the brake pads, you just need to unbolt the bottom bolt and swing it up.
Old 02-23-2023, 04:43 AM   #100
Compeer

Quote:
This project is making me lose sleep...

Last night, I was thinking too much about how or what I should be doing this weekend. I think I'll remove the axle frame from the car just to be safe, I don't any sparks near the gas tank, and I just filled up late last week. Not just that, also so I can get a good angle on the brackets I'm going to weld.
I'm going to buy an angle grinder, I found one for $50 USD, I'll try to remove the existing bracket that needs to be relocated and see if I can reuse them, also clean off the other spots where the other brackets are going to be welded down.
I'm debating if I should use the Yaris calipers or the Corolla calipers. It will depend on how the parking brake cable will be routed if the Corolla calipers are used. If you think about it, both the parking brake cable and brake line are on the top for the Corolla, which would make it easier to replace the brake pads, you just need to unbolt the bottom bolt and swing it up.
The Yaris brakes are pretty easy to do the brake job on, hardest part is twisting in the calipers (use a pair of needle nose pliers to twist them in)

I think Id go with the yaris set incase the caliper diameter is larger on the corolla calipers, No reason to mix and max brakes when you have the correct front and rear matching set which will give it the correct brake proportion.

I always go with "keep it simple stupid" and its a no brainer to install the matching front and rear brakes.
Old 02-23-2023, 09:18 AM   #101
Neinris

Quote:
The Yaris brakes are pretty easy to do the brake job on, hardest part is twisting in the calipers (use a pair of needle nose pliers to twist them in)

I think Id go with the yaris set incase the caliper diameter is larger on the corolla calipers, No reason to mix and max brakes when you have the correct front and rear matching set which will give it the correct brake proportion.

I always go with "keep it simple stupid" and its a no brainer to install the matching front and rear brakes.
Remember, the adaptor plates were originally meant for the Corolla calipers, and I knew that the Yaris calipers would also works, because their rotors diameters are the same, therefore the caliper diameter are also the same. It's just that the Yaris' calipers are clocked directly to the rear (3 & 9 o'clock), while the Corolla's are clocked up (around 2 & 10 o'clock). And the Corolla's parking brake cable will be mounted on the top, farther away from the road and dirt. Less chance of seizing?

I thought of the same thing as you said, that's why I went ahead and bought the Yaris calipers, but I got to thinking how much convenient the Corolla's design is. I will show everyone what I mean how much easier it is to replace the brake pads when the Corolla calipers are used. Again, only if the route for the parking brake cables works out. We'll see this weekend.
Old 02-23-2023, 11:15 AM   #102
Compeer

Quote:
Remember, the adaptor plates were originally meant for the Corolla calipers, and I knew that the Yaris calipers would also works, because their rotors diameters are the same, therefore the caliper diameter are also the same. It's just that the Yaris' calipers are clocked directly to the rear (3 & 9 o'clock), while the Corolla's are clocked up (around 2 & 10 o'clock). And the Corolla's parking brake cable will be mounted on the top, farther away from the road and dirt. Less chance of seizing?

I thought of the same thing as you said, that's why I went ahead and bought the Yaris calipers, but I got to thinking how much convenient the Corolla's design is. I will show everyone what I mean how much easier it is to replace the brake pads when the Corolla calipers are used. Again, only if the route for the parking brake cables works out. We'll see this weekend.
Yeah just go yari brakes they are oem the parts will fit, we know they work mint, will have hose connections at correct angles too and yeah the handbrakes..Keep it simple hahaha
Old 02-24-2023, 08:42 PM   #103
Neinris

Quote:
Yeah just go yari brakes they are oem the parts will fit, we know they work mint, will have hose connections at correct angles too and yeah the handbrakes..Keep it simple hahaha
Well, I’m really stubborn and likes going against the grain sometimes.
I got home early from work today and started some of the work, but quickly ran out of daylight.
She’s dialed for the Corolla caliper, I’ll be testing how the cables will be routed tomorrow.
E1AA266B-9024-40E5-B324-4B28FE187C8A.jpeg
I hope it doesn’t snow tomorrow. Once I fit and test the parking cables then I’ll decide which calipers to use.
I did get to put one of the parking cable on, I had to swap two brackets from the old one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 043E7489-F71C-4B10-AD7C-78DFB7A1B9D2.jpeg (489.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpeg DB6FAB3A-C13F-431C-A6D5-80B73F876E77.jpeg (506.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 719A252D-2F96-43ED-9003-A298CD48D39A.jpg (274.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 02-25-2023, 08:15 PM   #104
Compeer

Weight them, they have the same caliper diameter and rotor which means the braking force is equal so weigh them and use the lighter set, we already lost some performance with the disc brake swap already especially considering they are pretty huge for the size of the car, don't want to loose more for no real reason. Im going to get a light weight 15" space saver spare tire and remove the rear seats and rear seat belts to try to make up for the added weight. Plan to put a plyboard bed in cut to shape with a hatch for the spare tire because Ineed to fit a set of wheels in for autocrossing eventually.

Builds looking good so far anyway, get her done!

Last edited by Compeer; 02-25-2023 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2023, 09:34 PM   #105
Neinris

Quote:
Weight them, they have the same caliper diameter and rotor which means the braking force is equal so weigh them and use the lighter set, we already lost some performance with the disc brake swap already especially considering they are pretty huge for the size of the car, don't want to loose more for no real reason. Im going to get a light weight 15" space saver spare tire and remove the rear seats and rear seat belts to try to make up for the added weight. Plan to put a plyboard bed in cut to shape with a hatch for the spare tire because Ineed to fit a set of wheels in for autocrossing eventually.

Builds looking good so far anyway, get her done!
The Yaris is very front heavy, so some weight in the back would help even it out.

The parking brake cable routed just fine for the Corolla caliper, but I’m not decided yet to go with them.
7E10E337-71C6-4366-8734-2F88C8035BD9.jpeg
I had some errands today, so I didn’t get to finish the install, but I did managed to remove the rear axle frame and install the parking brake cables. My friend didn’t show to weld the brackets, because the weather was too cold for him.
I have no choice but to finish tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0349128C-A7D6-46D5-B8FE-286417555A87.jpeg (343.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpeg 43C474F2-48C6-4D08-8B6B-BC7666D0EE71.jpeg (349.6 KB, 39 views)
Old 02-26-2023, 08:19 PM   #106
Neinris

Alternative rear disc conversion complete!!!

She’s finally done! I went with the Yaris calipers after all. I’m going to redo where the relocated brackets are, I think I’ll put on the center bar of the H, but that won’t be happening any time soon. My friend is going on a trip, and he left today with his welder. I should have said yes when he asked if I want to borrow it for a bit.
The stopping force comparison would not be fair if I’m comparing to the drum brakes, because I also replaced the front brake pads and changed out the brake fluid. All I’m going to say is I’m very happy with the results.
Here’s the before and after pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg CB742059-6743-4D0A-B9F2-6C3F2C7EB75F.jpeg (342.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpeg E8E709A8-DA56-46AC-8CA8-A8CB40CEEB19.jpeg (290.4 KB, 36 views)
Old 02-28-2023, 10:57 AM   #107
Neinris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
between your thread and my perpetual needing to re-adjust the drums..has got me re-thinking disc rears...

now hear me out...stock front yaris rotors put on the rear using XB rear calipers..i belive i could keep my 14inch aluminum wheels..the XB rear calipers solve the E-brake issue without the need for a drum hat rotor....tho i suspect id need an adapter mounting plate similar to yours but 1/4 inch of more offset in the rear of a stock yaris drum beam would square up the wheelbase nicely
What issues where you having that you had to re-adjust your drums often? Apparently my drum brakes would over tighten themselves over time, and was causing a bit more of a drag than normal. With the disc brakes, I noticed that I'm able to accelerate a little bit more quicker now, and my MPG has gone up from 31 to 31.5 in just two days!!! That's with my "normal" driving. We'll see how much better it'd get by the end of the week.
Old 03-01-2023, 05:49 AM   #108
Compeer

Quote:
She’s finally done! I went with the Yaris calipers after all. I’m going to redo where the relocated brackets are, I think I’ll put on the center bar of the H, but that won’t be happening any time soon. My friend is going on a trip, and he left today with his welder. I should have said yes when he asked if I want to borrow it for a bit.
The stopping force comparison would not be fair if I’m comparing to the drum brakes, because I also replaced the front brake pads and changed out the brake fluid. All I’m going to say is I’m very happy with the results.
Here’s the before and after pics:
Looking good bro