Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-19-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
Anyone install only trd springs and rear sway?

Hey guys i just picked up a yaris sedan last week and i just wanna do a couple things to the suspension for now just to get rid of the nasty wheel gap and improve the handling a tiny bit.

I was thinking about just getting the TRD sport springs and rear sway bar so that i can improve my suspension and make sure i dont void the warranty on the car.

I know that when i had my old integra, upgrading the rear sway bar made all the difference in the world when it came to handling improvements. Also, it complemented springs or coilovers in a way that drastically improved performance.

Is this the case with the yaris as well?

On top of these mods I am going to eventually throw on some 16x7s in order to run some wider tires and fill out the wheel wells a bit. I am hoping it comes together nicely.
Is there anyone on here who has installed only those 2 things or maybe a comparable set up? How did the handling improve? Was is worth the money?

Thanks in advance and please feel free to post pics of your car with the set up (especially if its a sedan!)
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #2
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
DEFINITELY worth the money. The car handles so much better with the TRD springs and sway bar. That's what I have, with some wider 15x7 wheels and it made a huge difference. For the money, this is the best suspension mod you can make.

Be careful with tire size and wheel offset when you lower the car. +40 offset and 195 tire I found was the highest you can go with lowering springs. I tried a 17x7 +40 wheel and 205/4/0/17 tires and I rubbed up front once I put the TRD springs on. Going back to the stock tires on aftermarket rims solved the problem. Be careful with that.

Enjoy your new Yaris!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 AM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I can say that the addition of the TRD swaybar makes a huge difference in handling and give the car a much more flat cornering, confident feel. It especially helps in cross-wind situations. The Yaris gets thrown around much less with the swaybar in play.
Weeks later I completed the installation of my TRD springs and shocks/struts. I cannot comment on how the sedan manages with the springs alone but I'm sure it would be fine.
The TRD shocks/struts really tighten it up. Handling is much improved. Like on rails, however ride comfort is greatly sacrificed. Fine for me but some may not like the ultra-firm ride. My greatest issue is the loss of ground clearance when the snow is deep. My front lip does a lot of plowing when I'm in the ruts or any snow over 5" deep which has been common here this winter.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
rsb makes a big difference on the yaris because we dont have one from the factory

i had one on my matrix from hotchkis and i didnt feel a huge difference in rear stiffness...
Old 01-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

is the rub bad?

i was planning on getting some 16x7 rota boosts with a 40 offset and i wanted to run 205 but its just not possible right?

for those who installed only trd springs so far, how has the ride quality changed? i want to keep it pretty smooth as this is a daily more than a track/canyon car
Old 01-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #6
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I can get my rear end to swing out. I'm kinda afraid to put on the sway for the rear on my car.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeJong 03 View Post
is the rub bad?

i was planning on getting some 16x7 rota boosts with a 40 offset and i wanted to run 205 but its just not possible right?

for those who installed only trd springs so far, how has the ride quality changed? i want to keep it pretty smooth as this is a daily more than a track/canyon car
The rub was real bad on mine when I went to 205/40/17 with +40 offset. I'm sure you will rub some, but maybe not quite as much as a 17" wheel. I'd stay at 195 to be safe. Kimona is really good with what will work and what won't. You might PM him and ask.

The ride quality is still very smooth with the TRD springs and Sway Bar, due mainly to staying with the stock struts/shocks. I didn't notice any loss of ride quality when I put my springs on.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
I can get my rear end to swing out. I'm kinda afraid to put on the sway for the rear on my car.
any other mods on car? with the sway bar and gt spec braces my rear doesn't surprise me anymore unless i come into a turn a little too fast......

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
any other mods on car? with the sway bar and gt spec braces my rear doesn't surprise me anymore unless i come into a turn a little too fast......
Bald tires, sagging springs, uh... lightened rear end? Jk.

I do carry a lot of speed in my corners at the.. track.

But a sway bar, that'll just be exaggerated under my normal entry speed, and it'll kick out at lower speeds, right? I'm not 100% sure how these solid rear beams work 100%.

BTW, putting a sway bar induces under steer in the front, and over steer in the rear. I think.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan

Heres a underpic of my sedan. The sway bar made the most difference to me. When i put on my TRD springs i didnt notice that much of a change hardly. When i installed the lower tie bars I noticed as much as a difference almost as the TRD bar. When you think your car handled good already you would really be surprised how much of a difference it makes. When im in a 4 lane road and theres no one behind me sometimes i like to just yank the steering wheel hard one way and zoom across the lanes. The steering becomes so much more responsive. So much that just a tiny move the car moves and does exactly what you are thinking. Very little body roll now. Not only that the cornering is very amazing. Only extremly fast sharp turns you get wheel hop. ALso your braking distance is lowered slightly. No more nose dive on heavy breaking comming to a quick stop.

All in all for the the price compared to many other mods. I think you get the most bang for you buck. ANd it makes your car so much more fun to drive and enjoy.

I am anxiouse for a front strut brace and tokiko struts.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:23 AM   #11
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Quote:
BTW, putting a sway bar induces under steer in the front, and over steer in the rear. I think.
it reduces body roll and neutralizes steering

this is of course dependant how big your front and rear sway bars are to eachother.

I was running a 22mm front sway bar with a 22mm usdm type r sway bar on my old integra and it handled beautifully but it would really kick out and give me some good throttle lift oversteer if i wasnt careful

overall, sway bars are usually the best suspension mod in my book so i will definitely be buying one in the future

by the way, does anyone know how large the front yaris sway bar is and how large the trd rear sway is? im curious
Old 01-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #12
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
I had those megan bars on before and thought they were the cats meow until GT SPEC hooked me up right. difference is night and day between the 2 companies although i did keep rear upper megan bar(by gas tank) cause it didn't need to be removed....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg andy 008.jpg (91.7 KB, 338 views)

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Bald tires, sagging springs, uh... lightened rear end? Jk.

I do carry a lot of speed in my corners at the.. track.

But a sway bar, that'll just be exaggerated under my normal entry speed, and it'll kick out at lower speeds, right? I'm not 100% sure how these solid rear beams work 100%.

Put a rear bar on. The car will feel more planted and you will be able to carry more speed though a corner. I've noticed it actually keeps the entire car flatter through a corner.

It absolutely DOES NOT induce front understeer, it reduces front understeer.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:49 AM   #14
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeJong 03 View Post

by the way, does anyone know how large the front yaris sway bar is and how large the trd rear sway is? im curious
I believe the TRD Rear is 22mm.

I don't know about the front. I don't feel a need to change it anyway.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
Put a rear bar on. The car will feel more planted and you will be able to carry more speed though a corner. I've noticed it actually keeps the entire car flatter through a corner.

It absolutely DOES NOT induce front understeer, it reduces front understeer.
ahh ok. this is the first fwd im trying to upgrade. not 100% sure about solid rear physics on these.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:02 PM   #16
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKLAND TOYOTA View Post
I had those megan bars on before and thought they were the cats meow until GT SPEC hooked me up right. difference is night and day between the 2 companies although i did keep rear upper megan bar(by gas tank) cause it didn't need to be removed....
You can really feel the difference between the two bars? Now you got me curiouse.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #17
botchilah

Drives: white and red shiny things
Is TRD the only one that makes rear swaybar upgrade?
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:52 PM   #18
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
No, you have Ultra Racing from Malaysia, that's closer to where you are
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote