Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #1
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Anyone see this garbage on BusinessWeek?

This is a sad little man that doesn't deserve the right to be paid to review:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/co...asia_companies

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
BLKYRSSDN

Drives: Black Yaris Sedan 07
Yeah I saw this a couple weeks ago, I especially like the line about the compartments for coins and such...Maybe the idiot should've thought, hey those have a round shape on the inside, maybe they are the cup holders. Yeah, I read it, and immediately discredited it.
BLKYRSSDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Yeah I posted a 1000 character reply and I am waiting to see if they post it.

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:04 PM   #4
weeze-dog

Drives: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3
Yeah I like the quote:

Quote:
As one post on a message board for Scion owners put it: The Yaris "looks like a VW Bug and a [Scion] xA had a kid."
Yeah maybe if you were reviewing THE LIFTBACK model, you dolt. How the hell do you get that analogy with the sedan, it looks absolutely nothing like the bug or xA. Apparantly it was adopted.
weeze-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:07 PM   #5
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Even if you look at a brochure it says those are cupholders...
Rather a biased opinion considering he only drove the sedan for 180 miles.
Of course the more money your willing to spend the more car your going to get... you can keep saying 'for only 2g more I could get this...' until your up to a 60k Jag or something...
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

I got a really big kick as well on him saying that the corolla is a bigger car...apparently he doesn't pay attention to cabin space either...it is obvious that the sedan has more room than a corolla and in all honesty the Yaris looks a hell of a lot more stylist than the corolla....as far as I am concerned you get more bang for your buck with this car...I have owned 2 corollas and they don't have that "fun factor" that this one does....you don't need another 10-20 hp to have fun with the weight ratio the corolla has...definately a few fries short of a happy meal.

Old 07-03-2006, 01:23 PM   #7
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I agree with you guys. The reviewer did a very poor job of analyzing the Yaris. He compared apples to oranges in most cases. If I could afford a 20k car I probably would have bought a corolla, duh!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:28 PM   #8
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

But why?
It just isn't that appealing...If I had the 20k then I would already have decked out my Yaris as best as possible.

But that is just an IMO.

Old 07-03-2006, 03:21 PM   #9
suzu

Drives: 3dr lb
I posted a reply too but waiting to see it on BW...

I think certain points that the BW reviewer says are right. But he, like many others, missed the whole point of Toyota introducing Yaris and they still do. This is what I posted.

Again, most of you got it wrong. With Yaris, Toyota's aim was to bring an inexpensive, not cheap like others, and reliable commuter car to the US market. A car is not just to be judged/rated based on the superficial cup holders or the dashboard but should be on the quality of the engine, transmission, ride quality, safety and reliability. I think Toyota passes with flying colors in all these except for not providing with the side airbags and ABS as standard on the base model that I hope Toyota would on future year base model.
suzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #10
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Come on you guys...

How can you read a review from BUSINESS WEEK about an automobile without a constant smirk on your face?

The author probably owns several stock of North American auto manufacturers, and clearly has it for TOYOTA

I don't trust auto reviews from financial advisors and the like, so this article doesn't really bother me at all
Old 07-03-2006, 07:20 PM   #11
boxerboy

Drives: WRX ,Tacoma and Yaris
I am always amazed what people will say in car reviews as well as on car forms. He did say it is a safe little car that rides and drives fairly well and will probably run forever. With the gas mileage, what else is there left to say? You could whine about cupholders, coin holders, lack of rubber burning power or what ever it doesn't do compared to other more pricey cars. You bought the car or will buy this car to save money. I belive it will do that and I think it is easy and fun to drive. That is what I think you will get. Toyota is right on the money.
boxerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #12
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxerboy
I am always amazed what people will say in car reviews as well as on car forms. He did say it is a safe little car that rides and drives fairly well and will probably run forever. With the gas mileage, what else is there left to say? You could whine about cupholders, coin holders, lack of rubber burning power or what ever it doesn't do compared to other more pricey cars. You bought the car or will buy this car to save money. I belive it will do that and I think it is easy and fun to drive. That is what I think you will get. Toyota is right on the money.
Well said, boxerboy !
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #13
fearturtle44

Drives: S Flint Mica
This guy is a joke. I think many reviewers and not kicking at Toyota cars because they are on top. Real MPG from everyone is running around 38-42 mpgs which is better than the Corolla, etc. To complain about minimal stuff means the car must be pretty good. He can have his Kia and Hyundai and I will gladly keep my Yaris.

Kevin
fearturtle44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:01 PM   #14
foveon

Drives: 05 Matrix
Not that far off

Lets consider this from his end. He writes reviews for business week. Obviously a cheap, reliable care with good MPG are probably the 3 things at the bottom of his list. $$$ isn't the factor for him that it is for a yaris buyer. I bought one today, but will likely resell it. Mine's an automatic sedan...certianly not for the performance minded and my initial impression is i would rate it a lot closer to my 98 elantra wagon than my 05 Matrix. The automatic is sluggish at best (which is what I assume we drove) and yes the useable interior space is obviously smaller than the corolla. The front seat is ample on either but backseat (of the sedan)on the yaris couldn't fit 2 adults as comfortably as my matrix could fit 3 (I tried it, all 3 people agreed). It's a great car for the purpose it serves, but although I dont agree with a good bit of what he said I certianly understand where he's coming from.
foveon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 12:15 AM   #15
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv
This is a sad little man that doesn't deserve the right to be paid to review:

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/co...asia_companies

He sounds like a peter head anyway...
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:06 AM   #16
Dawn Eshelman

Drives: Silver Yaris Liftback
I only wish I was seeing 38-42 mpg. I've had my car almost 2 months, and have only seen 32 mpg. I drive a mixture of city and highway, but do go from sea level to 1,500 ft. at the end of each day...

BTW...my auto liftback struggles up the hill. First auto I've had for 20 years or more. It's nice not having to shift, but really a dog compared to my other 4 cylinder sticks. We have some stiff trade winds too, and it's the first car I've owned that really gets buffeted and knocked around by the wind.

I still love it though!
Dawn Eshelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:04 AM   #17
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Quote:
Originally Posted by sroberts
I agree with you guys. The reviewer did a very poor job of analyzing the Yaris. He compared apples to oranges in most cases. If I could afford a 20k car I probably would have bought a corolla, duh!
umm..the civic and Corolla are both about $15K (15,110 for Civic DX coupe and about the same for Corolla). The yaris liftback CAN't BE HAD for less than $12,200 with the standard option Convenience Package..if you get powerpackage or any options you're in over 13K BEFORE TTL...as opposed to just 15,110 for civic coupe?! plus the civic coupe and corolla get 40 mpg (according to EPA) and 30 mpg city..only 4 mpg in a BIGGER car. I don't understand how my 1992 civic hatchback with upgraded 1.6L DOHC motor / short gearing could get the same gas mileage as this 2007 YARis which is about the same weight (2200 lbs) and WAY LESS Powerful (106 crank hp opposed to my civic/B16 w/ 172 crank hp). My civic ran 13.1-13.4 seconds in the quarter mile...
bottomline is that the Honda Fit and Toyota Yaris were marketed STRICTLY to get people into the dealership, where they are quickly "upsold" to the Civic / Corolla.
bottomline, the Yaris ISN'T THAT cheap when compared to other economy cars, nor is it much more gas efficient.
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:41 PM   #18
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRD_Yaris
The yaris liftback CAN't BE HAD for less than $12,200 with the standard option Convenience Package..
i got my 5spd liftback w/convenience pkg for $12k even... $13,200 after tt&l

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote