Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2016, 01:13 AM   #1
Turk188

Drives: 2016 Yaris 3 door
In search of parts

I just purchased my second Yaris 3 months ago. I had 09 that has been handed down and at the time I just needed a good mpg car that didn't look like one. I found a base model in white with a 5 speed. Things have changed and for the first time in my life I have a budget for upgrades. I only have one problem... finding parts i.e. intake manifold. I can't seem to find anything other than stock intake manifold for an engine that's been in production for years. I know at one time they were for sale.

If anyone can point me in the direction of a manifold that can improve on the stock version please let me know.

I have seen intakes (filters) but I want my first two engine changes to be a better intake and exhaust (better not just loud - no offense to anyone else's prefrence). I know it might only be a few hp increase but I only plan on changing to light weight pulleys and a light weight flywheel after that (unless the blitz is so good it's worth the wait and cost for it). I just want a little better launch and a little more power out of the engine and believe air in and out should be high on my list.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.
Turk188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #2
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Have a search for "Tooter". Specifically his spacer. I am not sure he is still making them or not, but it gets you more usable torque. Same with a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold.

You seem to be on the right path looking for torque and lighter weight. Light rims make a big difference as well and Konigs are cheap enough. Replacing my steel wheels I lost 16lbs of rotating mass which is huge.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
Turk188

>.> Tooter I like the look but where

I have seen pictures and I like the design. It looks like a lot of time and care went into making them. I have looked but haven't found one yet. On a side note I happen to mention this issue at work and there is a builder here in Alabama that could make something like it but would need to make and sell a few of them to make a profit and get cost per unit down. So just thought I would check interest.

I didn't have pictures in the right place when I made my first post. I haven't done much but I have replaced the stock wheels.

Thanks for the advice Cory, I'm still looking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImperialYaris4.jpg (109.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg ImperialYaris3.jpg (142.9 KB, 62 views)
Old 07-22-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
If Tooter is no longer making them, I'd consider buying one from whomever. I intended to make my own (I could make one by hand in a few hours), but if the price was reasonable I'd buy. Pretty sure it's a small market so probably hard to make a dollar on it though. Maybe contact Tooter and see if he is willing to make more or maybe even sell/rent the CNC file?

Have a search for 4-2-1 headers as well. I've heard they make a decent difference for torque on the Yaris. The OE muffler is a bit constipated too, but I've yet to find a replacement that I like.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:35 PM   #5
Turk188

Thoughts on headers

I have seen more than a few headers available but I don't want to skip the obvious choke spot. I don't live in a state with inspections but I had thought about the cat. I've have read that a high flow catalytic converter be another area for improvment (again small improvment) along with new header and replacing the stock goofy muffler.
Any thoughts about replacing the cat with a high flow (or delete) and how to handle the O2 sensors?

I had also thought about bigger injectors, 2zzge I have seen mentioned. It looks like this is a more complicated addition. If I understand what I've been reading a modest increase would give me a little more throttle response.

And lastly to Tooter: I noticed in another post that you had moved on to other projects but any thoughts on an open source header?
Old 07-22-2016, 10:51 PM   #6
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
I very much agree with CoryM.

Parts like those have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur. Making your own spacer would probably be the only way to go at this point in time.

(Which reminds me, gotta hit the welders to finish up my intake manifold project. Might post about that later if there is any interest. )
Old 07-23-2016, 11:43 PM   #7
Turk188

Anyone have any thoughts on using a 07 scion xb intake manifold? I might go part hunting to check throttle body dimensions. That year should have a 1nz-few engine...
Not ready to give up just yet.
Old 07-24-2016, 01:22 AM   #8
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
I did see a weapon r manifold for 1NZ xB cars.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Weapon-R-Intak...479?nav=SEARCH

Saddly the Yaris throttle body woun't bolt up to it, but with a bit of work you can make it fit your application. You can chop off the throttle body flange connection and weld on a new one that will fit Yaris throttle body.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/THROTTLE-BODY-...286?nav=SEARCH

Or even upgrade to a bigger one for a future throttle body swap:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/THROTTLE-BODY-...394?nav=SEARCH
Old 07-24-2016, 02:05 AM   #9
Turk188

I thought about that and sent a message to Tooter. On the manifold he made there was an adapter so 3 or 4 bolt TB could be used. I asked if prints were available. An adapter for xB manifolds should be a lot cheaper to manufacture and might be enough to interest to make a few. Also for NA an ABS 3D print might be super cheep. If the manifold you found fits the head a printer could make an adapter and the same file could be used for an aluminum one for forced air.

@invader166 thanks for the links. I'm going to get the xB intake and see what happens about the adapter.