Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-01-2006, 06:47 PM   #19
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
Just to confirm what someone else has already said, tint works wonders for keeping the car cool... spend the hundred bucks and get it tinted... plus it looks alot better.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:12 PM   #20
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanby
Do you have your windows tinted? Even a 50% tint (50% light transmission) should cut the heat by about 40% (less while parked in the sun).
No my friends. My windows are not tinted as yet. I agree tinting can probably keep the car cooler and improve the look. I have budgetary concerns but may consider tinting when I have spare money to spend later. I like to spend money in things that can eventually pay for themselves. The Yaris itself is one such thing because it uses a lot less fuel compared with a bigger car and its maintenance costs should be lower too.
As for tinting, I guess it will take my Yaris almost its whole life time to generate enough additional savings (through tinted windows which will reduce the fuel required to run the A/C) to pay me back the money so invested.
Still want to thank you for the great idea! I am sure that it will work and will be an added benefit to those members who will tint anyway.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:13 PM   #21
JaiTomato

Drives: 07 sedan-flint mica, 96VFR750
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeukrainetz
Just to confirm what someone else has already said, tint works wonders for keeping the car cool... spend the hundred bucks and get it tinted... plus it looks alot better.
I'm gonna get a tint quote in the next few days. It's getting quite warm around here (N.E.)
JaiTomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #22
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziv
Same here. I found the A/C good but not great. For sure its much better on a full side sedan (such as an accord).
I use the same method of turning it on 3 for few minutes and reduce that to 2. I found 2 is 'cooler' than 3 with time, 3 is just to get rid of all the hot air within the car. And yes, if you know you will be at your destination soon, turn off the A/C for about a few minutes and let the fan run for a bit. Without letting the fans goes on for a bit before you shut down your car, you could get a weird smell next time you start the car.
Thanks for the advice. You are right about the funny smell. I have noticed it too. When I took my car to Toyota for service this afternoon, I complained about the A/C and they tested it. On the bill, they stated that the A/C was working fine . However, they have deodorized it for me .
Regarding running the fan for a few minutes before switching off the car, I would further suggest to run it at the highest speed and on humid days even run it with the thermostat set to the warmest. This will hopefully remove the residual moisture and prevent bad smell from building inside the system overnight.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #23
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
i have seen a lot of cars with window tint that is bubbling, especially on the back window,

is this common problem with tints? if so, do tint companies have a warranty?
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #24
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
it's a problem w/cheap tint, especially with people who buy autozone tint(i guess Canadian Tire or whoever you guys have) and put it on themselves, cheap tints don't have as good of glue as the tint shops get and if it's done right it should last the life of the car, and some places even warrant for the life of the car.....

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #25
David81

Drives: Yaris
The a/c i tested it, seems fine. In toronto i got the yaris aero package, it doesn't come with a/c. So i had to add it on as an option.
David81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 01:27 AM   #26
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
It also depends on how new the tint is. Small bubles can be seen in brand new tint, but they dissapear and the tint is suppose to look perfect after a few days.

When I got mine car tinted there was a massive white smear on the passenger window. A few days later is was completely gone.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:06 AM   #27
NickNickNick

Drives: 06 Silver Yaris 3-door Manual
I had my tint thrown in for free, and have had no problems with it - it sits in the sun all day in Canada's sunniest city, too. And it was 32 degrees today.
NickNickNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:03 AM   #28
yarisolive

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
I just recieved my 2007 yaris sedan, first time I used the a/c was yesterday (29˚c)put the fan on 4 for five minutes then had to turn it down to 2 because it was to cold. This is my fifth car a/c it seems to work like everyother car I have had......
yarisolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:32 PM   #29
markpeppie

Drives: yaris 2007aero
good to see someone from montreal!!! which dealer did you go to??
markpeppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 01:20 PM   #30
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?
It also depends on how new the tint is. Small bubles can be seen in brand new tint, but they dissapear and the tint is suppose to look perfect after a few days.

When I got mine car tinted there was a massive white smear on the passenger window. A few days later is was completely gone.

My car was the opposite! Has anyone heard of Ziebart? Apparently they're world wide, anyway that's where I got mine, its a quality tint for the most part but my rear driverside window and the back window show some bubbles but you have to look hard at it...but the thing is it was perfect up in till now but my one year warrenty is up...I guess I have to let it go for now and get it re-done later, I heard (don't know if its true) that tint doesn't last forever or for at least more than 5 years? I guess it depends on the quality For anyone who has their front windows done, does the tint stop at about a quarter inch from the top of the glass pane? Or does it go all the way? Just wondering if thats normal when tinting, cause with my windows (passenger and driver roll down windows) the tint stops at about quarter inch from the top of the window pane, I guess it doesn't really matter cause when you have your windows closed you can't tell or see it, it just seems "cheap" because you paid $200 plus dollars for this job. I don't know, just wanted opinions.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:33 PM   #31
Tankota
Prototype Tester

Drives: Yaris S-Sedan / FJ Cruiser
All the tint jobs I've gotten done the tint goes all the way up to the top of the glass, and below the seals, you can't tell at all that there's a tint film edge.

Also, I always make sure I get a tint with a lifetime warranty - true the tint won't last forever, but good tint will last a min. of 5 years or more. With the warranty, and a good shop that has been in buisness and still will be in buisness, you should not have to worry. Some will cover everything, some the warranty will cover the cost of the tint and the shop will give you a cut rate on the labor to install and replace it, if it ever fades or bubbles.
Tankota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 01:18 AM   #32
johnnyfive

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
For anyone who has their front windows done, does the tint stop at about a quarter inch from the top of the glass pane? Or does it go all the way? Just wondering if thats normal when tinting, cause with my windows (passenger and driver roll down windows) the tint stops at about quarter inch from the top of the window pane, I guess it doesn't really matter cause when you have your windows closed you can't tell or see it, it just seems "cheap" because you paid $200 plus dollars for this job. I don't know, just wanted opinions.
they stop the tint just before it hits the seal so that it will never wrinkle, or scrape, or pinch, or scratch when it slides into the seal. if it is done right it will look flawless, and definetly look like it was suposed to be done that way. but on the other hand, i have seen some really bad looking tint jobs done like this, with all kinds of jagged eadges, and just really looks bad.

shop i got mine done at did it this way, and also got a 5 year full warranty, and a lifetime warranty on the film
johnnyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 02:45 AM   #33
TRD_Yaris
Yarii Hunter

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback and S13's
Toyota Yaris 2007 2dr Perfect Cut Window Tint
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...spagenameZWD1V

just get a spray bottle, distilled water, a bit of dish soap, and a good SQUEEGEE and you have as good of tint as your skills allow

Last edited by TRD_Yaris; 06-20-2006 at 06:02 AM.
TRD_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 12:01 PM   #34
sroberts

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Not sure how this became a window tinting thread but here is a good webpage I found for rules.

http://www.solarfilmco.com/laws.html
Old 06-20-2006, 01:17 PM   #35
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
they stop the tint just before it hits the seal so that it will never wrinkle, or scrape, or pinch, or scratch when it slides into the seal. if it is done right it will look flawless, and definetly look like it was suposed to be done that way. but on the other hand, i have seen some really bad looking tint jobs done like this, with all kinds of jagged eadges, and just really looks bad.

shop i got mine done at did it this way, and also got a 5 year full warranty, and a lifetime warranty on the film

Thanks for the informative heads up-I guess that makes sense now. Yeah the cut off is pretty clean so its not too cheap looking, it looks like its suppose to do that as you mentioned. I only asked that cause my co-worker said that his friends tint goes all the way. Anyway don't mean too get off topic, thanks again!