Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #1
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Pre-Hack Repost: DIY Eaton Supercharger, Why Not?

So this is funny, Of course everything of mine got deleted from the hack so i am bringing it up again, but wondering more about it. I've never cared to look at how superchargers worked, but i knew the basics. I have some questions on certain issues as well...

So, a user by the name of BoogieQ did a DIY supercharger kit over on ScionLife using an Eaton M62 supercharger(2.5-3.0L Recommendation) Not near our range of 1.5, but he did it, it worked, why not. The exception is with how much power was robbed from the crank to get it to spin enough to make power....

Question in fact is, is the Blitz supercharger using the Eaton M62 or something similar to the size of it, is why the users are getting such minimilistic gains....

Now, here comes into play the Eaton M45(1.5L-2.0L from the mini cooper or Merc Komp, quite tiny as you can see(picture below) The mini with a 1.6L engine can make an upwards of 230hp with a smaller pulley upgrade as i've read. that is only .1l more, so we should not be far behind their gains(with the reasoning that every engine is made differently).

I have seen most superchargers bolt right up to the intake manifold itself, but it does not need to in a sense..all you would need to do is create an outlet from the supercharger that goes into the stock intake manifold, and just reroute some piping while keeping the stock design.

The extremeties of doing this are just piping and brackets to hold the superchargers weight, and of course belts and jargon... nothing at all really...What is stopping people from doing this? Show me some interest peoples!

Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
if you can pull this off that would be incredible. i get eaton parts at a nice proce too. :)
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #3
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

well this might be a doozy, but i want to try to sell my Honda engine to see if i can purchase an M45 supercharger, preferably one from a mini, but they are kind of pricey compared to the bigger ones which is funny

I'm just wondering how much boost i can push without needing a tune. I guess only time will tell until it gets done on here

What else is needed for a supercharger to function correctly? It seems like im missing something, Inlet/Outlet/Belt/Vacuum Line?
Old 11-14-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
I'm just wondering how much boost i can push without needing a tune. I guess only time will tell until it gets done on here

What else is needed for a supercharger to function correctly? It seems like im missing something, Inlet/Outlet/Belt/Vacuum Line?
I had a similar idea for a honda B-series motor. I've pretty much layed it to rest (for now).

You will likely need some bypass valve as well, for when you're running off boost.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
What is stopping people from doing this? Show me some interest peoples!
umm... what's stopping YOU?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

wanna loan me about $600? hahahah
Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 PM   #7
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
lysholm (whipple) twinscrew headunits are more efficient than roots type blowers.. just FYI..
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
lysholm (whipple) twinscrew headunits are more efficient than roots type blowers.. just FYI..
yeah probably why our mini cooper s only got like 19 in the city... but it was whinney and quick!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Interesting thread nexus1155. I'd also consider the rotrex s.c. The install seems so simple.
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:26 AM   #10
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

AFAIK the blitz kits did not use a bypass valve...but there were thoughts on people adding one as well as an intercooler... i know the twinscrew ones are more effecient, but they are of similar design to the roots, just alot more complicated of a design...I will be posting my Honda Head on craigslist tomorrow to see if i can get any bites and i will let you guys know if i end up buying one...
Old 11-15-2008, 10:30 AM   #11
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Hmm Im shocked I never came across this thread in the start.

I would say the best thing is to try and get a parts list from one of the guys who did a Blitz install and see what your needing for everything. It could be possible to compile a list of what ya need hardware wise, then just figure the rest out as you go.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

yeah, im about to do that right now and search all the blitz install threads....and i got a couple of nibbles on the engine head so far so this might actually be a plausable project for me...

Should it go....

Intake > MAF > Supecharger > Throttle Body > Intake Manifold?

or

Intake > Supercharger > MAF > Throttle Body > Intake Manifold

im assuming the first one because you need to meter how much air is taken into the supercharger in the first place? but its debatable i guess because you're still monitoring the air after the fact of the supercharger as well
Old 11-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #13
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

The Rotrex supercharger is centrifigual?, I like the idea of it, but if i were going to do it that way, i might as well buy a turbo and make a turbo kit... I like the idea of this supercharger is because they are found quite affordable and are in abundance since they come from multiple cars...

The eaton compared to the rotrex would just be needing maybe a stronger mount, and a little more pipe work... but in essence the same... also the eaton you can find smaller pulleys to increase boost... i do not know if the same goes for the rotrex?
Old 11-15-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
Cool beans man. In this times of difficult recession, although my company has assured me my job is "safe", i have seen many friends and people being laid off for restructuring or downsizing their staff. For this reason i am leery about dropping too much money into my car for what i currently deem "luxury" items.
I hope everyone here survives this awful time in american history.
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:08 PM   #15
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

times are getting better, and i think it is a big hype for everyone, which is making it seems worse than it really is currently... Just do your best to get by and try to cut out un-needed items and it will make you feel better... like smoking... if you do smoke... nasty habbit

The cost I will try to estimate as best as i can...
Supercharger - $250
Piping/Flange work - $100(need custom parts made)
Mounting Brackets - $50
Misc Parts/Belt $50

So around $450 for a nice working kit. Honestly the only hard part i see about this kit is lining it up with the pulleys(Anyone know how much room for error in play i can have?) and custom flanges > piping will require some sheetmetal work or atleast for me to fiberglass something durable quickly and make a gasket for it...
Old 11-18-2008, 09:57 AM   #16
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
times are getting better, and i think it is a big hype for everyone, which is making it seems worse than it really is currently... Just do your best to get by and try to cut out un-needed items and it will make you feel better... like smoking... if you do smoke... nasty habbit

The cost I will try to estimate as best as i can...
Supercharger - $250
Piping/Flange work - $100(need custom parts made)
Mounting Brackets - $50
Misc Parts/Belt $50

So around $450 for a nice working kit. Honestly the only hard part i see about this kit is lining it up with the pulleys(Anyone know how much room for error in play i can have?) and custom flanges > piping will require some sheetmetal work or atleast for me to fiberglass something durable quickly and make a gasket for it...
No way is it going to come close to being that cheap. You need an entire manifold made, runners with fuel injector bosses, flanges on each end and it looks like the blower snout is not long enough. It will be over $2000 (probably closer to $3000) unless you do everything yourself. On top of all that the blower snout looks too short.

You are better off going with a centrifugal blower or turbo.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 PM   #17
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
I have some experience in designing and building supercharger kits(we designed and built the blower systems for Stillen on the Maxima)-here are a few tips. The belt alignment has to be perfect in every axis or you will throw belts. The blower can blow through the MAF,but it will be much better to draw through the MAF and the throttle body should be mounted in front of the supercharger, not on the manifold in stock configuration. You can run without a bypass valve by air temps will go up significantly under cruise conditions and will use more fuel this way (increased parasitic loses). I doubt the stock MAF will be able to cope with additional airflow from blower, but might work at lower boost levels-we have had good luck in NA applications up to 123 wheel hp so far. Blower needs to be rigidly mounted using mounting plate to engine to keep belt alignment true-this takes some design work. It is a good idea to have blower blow through stock intake as this will help ower compared to blitz set up with short runners. This is not something that can be thrown together, but it can work.
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 04:42 PM   #18
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardholdener View Post
I have some experience in designing and building supercharger kits(we designed and built the blower systems for Stillen on the Maxima)-here are a few tips. The belt alignment has to be perfect in every axis or you will throw belts. The blower can blow through the MAF,but it will be much better to draw through the MAF and the throttle body should be mounted in front of the supercharger, not on the manifold in stock configuration. You can run without a bypass valve by air temps will go up significantly under cruise conditions and will use more fuel this way (increased parasitic loses). I doubt the stock MAF will be able to cope with additional airflow from blower, but might work at lower boost levels-we have had good luck in NA applications up to 123 wheel hp so far. Blower needs to be rigidly mounted using mounting plate to engine to keep belt alignment true-this takes some design work. It is a good idea to have blower blow through stock intake as this will help ower compared to blitz set up with short runners. This is not something that can be thrown together, but it can work.
FYI on the MAF, it's the same units used on the Subaru STI.. it'll handle plenty of air flow :)
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote