Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #1
Peloton

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Hole in my Exhaust? Losing Coolant?

Hey guys, I suspect there is a hole in my exhaust just after the engine block, possibly underneath the passenger side area,
I am also losing coolant somehow (possible gasket leak?), and can smell exhaust fumes from the engine bay
(I suspect it is actually a hole in the exhaust which I cant see directly but I see small amounts of exhaust smoke coming out of faintly.)

• My Yaris is a 2007 Sedan Model
  • 170 000 Km, Automatic
  • Live around Hamilton, Ontario and drive quite a bit on the QEW
  • Harsh winters with alot of salts (I believe this is where the it has rusted a hole in my exhaust)

If anyone knows about exhaust problems with the yaris, any help will be appreciated.

The coolant leak issue is somewhat a mystery to me, I've had the water pump, and alternator replaced,
alternator being the latter. Could this issue stem from those two replacements? Or do you think it could be a gasket issue?
Peloton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
colj00
DIYer

Drives: yaris 1.5 MT
get the radiator pressure tested and find the source of the exhaust leak, if it is an actual exhaust leak then i wouldn't be too worried about it.
colj00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #3
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
You can do a exhaust leak check by getting a towel/rag and cover up the tail pipe. Dont stuff it in, just wrap it with the towel/rag after the car is started. Then on idle, any leak will be magnified and easy to find.

Right after the engine block will be the exhaust manifold then the midpipe connects to that . Could be the 2 bolts are loose.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Chances are the gasket between the manifold and mid-pipe is done.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #5
Peloton

Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
get the radiator pressure tested and find the source of the exhaust leak, if it is an actual exhaust leak then i wouldn't be too worried about it.
Hmm, why is it ok not to worry about this? I'll hit up a local auto zone or something similar and see what they have to get my radiator pressure tested.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:54 PM   #6
Peloton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
You can do a exhaust leak check by getting a towel/rag and cover up the tail pipe. Dont stuff it in, just wrap it with the towel/rag after the car is started. Then on idle, any leak will be magnified and easy to find.

Right after the engine block will be the exhaust manifold then the midpipe connects to that . Could be the 2 bolts are loose.
Yesterday It snowed very heavily and was pretty cold out (-15 degree celcius) or so and I took a peak underneath and saw smoke or exhaust trickling out underneath the passenger/driver area. I must've of hit something on the highway or perhaps a rock got launched under to start the rusting of this exhaust leak problem
Old 02-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Peloton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Chances are the gasket between the manifold and mid-pipe is done.
Do you think i can DIY? Or would you rather have me take it to a exhaust shop to examine and fix?
Old 02-02-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Its easy to take off the mid pipe. If you have access 4 jack stands, you can have it in and out within an hour. I would still jack it up and run the car on idle to see/feel where exhaust gas is coming from. The gasket just looks like a donut. First id try to tighten those bolts down.

Once you unbolt the muffler (2 bolts), the 2 remaining bolts goes to the exhaust manifold, then the only thing holding the midpipe up are 3 rubber hangers. All bolts are 14mm.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, exhaust, gasket, radiator